British Speedway Forum
Mark

Bt Sport Coverage

I'm only missing out if I feel i am missing out.  And since I watch other sports for free i don't feel like I'm missing out on speedway in the slightest. Most speedway they show is boring rubbish anyway.  The gp's are better, am I missing out?? No, cos they on you tube about 2 mins after they have finished.  

Edited by Stainlesssteelride
  • Haha 1

I do not have either now as my budget is set and I just watch the free sport now.

I just have Freeview TV and go to watch sport live, if they all close due to lack of crowds there will be no Speedway to watch on TV. By going to the track I hope it helps keep the track open for me to watch the action in future years. In London I used to watch racing, bikes and cars, at Wimbledon, Hackney, Harringay, Crayford, Walthamstow, West Ham, Wembley and White City. Only one of those stadiums still exist and that is only for Scumball. We all need to support our nearest tracks, the two I went to last season are a 90 and 150+ minute train journey and they are the only two that I can now get to but if I want to see racing then there is no choice. 

EDIT:- I missed out New Cross from the tracks in London I had been to!

Edited by Chris116
Forgetfulness!
  • Like 2

According to the Star its imminent!!

With the SCB and BSPA clearly meeting this week (see statement re Nicholls) I reckon there will be an announcement within days.

9 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

With the SCB and BSPA clearly meeting this week (see statement re Nicholls) I reckon there will be an announcement within days.

9 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

HAS been for weeks!  Still some bickering going on but will happen.

• Like 1

Philip - I ask you this

Who do you think watches league speedway on tv?

If the answer is "speedway fans" then surely some of them are watching on tv rather than paying to attend

I assume your idea of televising league matches is for non- or ex-speedway fans to view and then to become paying spectators

Do you honestly think that this assumption actually works, and if it doesn't then what is the point of televising when existing fans stay away to watch televised league matches

Just where is there any benefit?

Exposure on TV can help to remind the public that speedway exists and hopefully make them want to go and watch it live. Whether these are new or lapsed fans is immaterial, as long as they attend.

Equally whether a viewer is a regular attendee at matches or just watches on TV is immaterial. They contribute to the viewing figures that keep the sport being televised.

You could apply the above equally to sponsors.

TV coverage to me is a superb bonus that allows me to watch matches that I could not otherwise attend and also maintains and feeds my love of the sport. I suspect I'm not alone. Are speedway supporters really only capable of watching one match a week? 

Only speedway with its limited, negative thinking, which does so very much to stifle it and destroys the opportunities I mentioned above, could blow it so consistently year in year out.

All sports need TV, which is why they clamour for coverage. Well, all but one,  it seems. 

Edited by RobMcCaffery
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

The reason for tv viewers varies.  Some can only go to home meetings so watching an away meeting of their team on tv is great, how many from the South can or want to travel to BV on a mid week night.  Some will watch home meetings on tv if the weather is iffy and or they have a long journey to the track.  Some will watch on tv if the meeting is going to be one sided.  The trouble with most clubs racing on the same night is that some of the fans will stay at home to watch a better meeting on the tv.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, A ORLOV said:

The reason for tv viewers varies.  Some can only go to home meetings so watching an away meeting of their team on tv is great, how many from the South can or want to travel to BV on a mid week night.  Some will watch home meetings on tv if the weather is iffy and or they have a long journey to the track.  Some will watch on tv if the meeting is going to be one sided.  The trouble with most clubs racing on the same night is that some of the fans will stay at home to watch a better meeting on the tv.

Not all will agree with your last comment AO as some won't believe 'true fans' would ever miss a chance to see their team in action, but it is definitely true, as I do it now..

'Iffy' weather has a huge bearing as you know deep in your heart that attending on a 'dodgy track' will often see you short changed from either the racing quality or simply the amount of races you get to see, (thirty times bitten, thirty one times shy).

I find though at present that I miss more BV meetings to stay in and watch another match on TV, when the BV match has zero credibility due to it being another 'guestfest'...

The irony is the match on TV has probably as much credibility as the one at the NSS however the difference is I am not forking out £30 for two people to attend it, instead paying BT £5.00 a month...

Add in the fact that every meeting is now just a play off qualifier and for me it's not the TV being there that reduces the crowds (as proof,  play off crowds are usually the best crowds of the year) it's the fact that what is served up doesn't justify paying out money to watch it when you can get your 'speedway fix' from the comfort of your armchair...

Invariably now most matches are made up of an eclectic mix of competitors, from various random teams, cobbled together for 'one night only',  so when you are prepared to take that for what it is, and are quite content to watch 'anyone' in the red, blue, white and yellow helmets go round, then you might as well do it in front of your TV, cold beverage in hand, snug in your own comfy armchair....

Simply, it's not TV coverage that reduces crowds, it's the way the Sport is ran...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 6

At least if you can go to the stadium you forfeit having to hear the "shouty twins"

every cloud has a silver lining!!!

Have I really read such a ridiculous reply about who watches it etc ?

The same could be said for football, rugby etc etc etc

Not everyone can travel to either away matches of their own team, or to any matches not involving their team, but love watching

Let alone the sponsorship money

Then there is the piece about ANY otential for someone to be converted and go tot follow their local team

At WHAT part is ANY of this not a good idea ??

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, jaykay2PT said:

At least if you can go to the stadium you forfeit having to hear the "shouty twins"

every cloud has a silver lining!!!

Not if you end up with Peter York though

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Midland Red said:

that is true!

5 hours ago, Midland Red said:

Having listened to his inane drivel on too many occasions I will second that 

• Like 1