British Speedway Forum
Mark

Bt Sport Coverage

I do not think there is any doubt that having live Speedway on TV certainly reduces the numbers that pay to go into the stadium.

Were this not the case then attendance figures over the last 12 years would not have reduced, but they have.   If I were a promoter,

I would want a fee to be on TV that at the very least equalled the income lost by people not attending.   The ability to gain sponsors

because of being on TV to cover the losses will vary from track to track, and in any case should be a bonus, not a necessity.  As a

general principle, why on earth should any TV company get any watchable material for nothing ?

• Like 1

On ‎24‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 10:59 AM, jaykay2PT said:

At least if you can go to the stadium you forfeit having to hear the "shouty twins"

every cloud has a silver lining!!!

Not true. The TV has a volume option but the roving mic never breaks down although it can be anything from quiet as a mouse to loud and booming.

5 hours ago, East End Fan said:

I do not think there is any doubt that having live Speedway on TV certainly reduces the numbers that pay to go into the stadium.

Were this not the case then attendance figures over the last 12 years would not have reduced, but they have.   If I were a promoter,

They were falling long before TV came along.

15 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

They were falling long before TV came along.

People were talking about the Sky/ BT meetings, not the overall picture.

6 hours ago, East End Fan said:

I would want a fee to be on TV that at the very least equalled the income lost by people not attending. 

This was certainly the case when Sky covered EL meetings, and I'm almost certain BT also compensated the staging track.

8 hours ago, Crump99 said:

Not true. The TV has a volume option but the roving mic never breaks down although it can be anything from quiet as a mouse to loud and booming.

Just wish the speedway coverage on TV gave the same option as MotoGP, i.e. turn off commentary but still hear the bikes and crowd, best of both worlds!

9 hours ago, East End Fan said:

I would want a fee to be on TV that at the very least equalled the income lost by people not attending.   The ability to gain sponsors

because of being on TV to cover the losses will vary from track to track, and in any case should be a bonus, not a necessity.  As a

general principle, why on earth should any TV company get any watchable material for nothing ?

DO you seriously think that the reason attendances have dropped is solely because of television coverage?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Starman2006 said:

People were talking about the Sky/ BT meetings, not the overall picture.

Yes I know, but the claim was that TV was causing the crowds to fall.. 

Overall TV is important. 

For one simple reason clubs just make more money out of sponsorship. 

Only reason why it’s helpful and a huge source of free advertisement. 

Its results in lower crowds as seen at many stadiums last season on the BT meetings. But the value of it cannot be underestimated. 

If it’s true that Championship fixtures are included then across the board BT will be worth over a million £££ to the UK speedway industry! 

7 hours ago, BWitcher said:

That is the case, but like i said ALL, clubs must dangle a carrot to get people in. Even without that the Sky/BT money should cover any losses.

9 hours ago, BWitcher said:

Not the ONLY cause, granted, but definitely A cause - and I have proof from friends and acquaintances who no longer attend, at all or as much, because it's on tv so much

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

DO you seriously think that the reason attendances have dropped is solely because of television coverage?

Not solely Philip, but tv coverage most definitely is a factor

43 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

I attended most meetings at Rye House last season. Biggest crowd of the year was the TV meeting! 

And how much was the entry charge ?

I cannot remember which tv meeting it was but one club did not reduce the entry charge and the stadium appeared to be almost empty.

If it was £10 like many tv matches that would be a reason for the size, and if £10 normally the crowds might return until they get bored with all the guests and delays.

Edited by A ORLOV

42 minutes ago, A ORLOV said:

And how much was the entry charge ?

I cannot remember which tv meeting it was but one club did not reduce the entry charge and the stadium appeared to be almost empty.

If it was £10 like many tv matches that would be a reason for the size, and if £10 normally the crowds might return until they get bored with all the guests and delays.

The admission was certainly reduced although I think it was more than £10. With the new fixed race nights for the two top leagues we should have far fewer guests except for injuries which cannot be avoided. Personally I go to watch close racing and enjoy the evening rather than to worry about a guest rider.