British Speedway Forum
Mark

Bt Sport Coverage

Baffling!  Now you're saying more people would have drifted away from speedway had it not been on tv (which is NOT the same as saying people have been attracted to the sport through it being televised)

Please supply proof that you do actually know about the wider world's human nature

I'm not sure you understand your own!

2 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

Baffling!  Now you're saying more people would have drifted away from speedway had it not been on tv (which is NOT the same as saying people have been attracted to the sport through it being televised)

Please supply proof that you do actually know about the wider world's human nature

I'm not sure you understand your own!

Baffling you say, yet the evidence is already there from the thousands who drifted away prior to TV coverage and were quite simply lost.

It really isn't rocket science. If the customer was happy with the product they wouldn't be deciding to skip it to watch another team on TV instead. TV is just providing them with the excuse to break that 'habit'. It is also keeping that waning interest alive so they do attend some matches still. Without TV they'd have continued attending regularly for a little longer but those underlying issues would still have been there and the more regular exposure to them would have eventually caused them to stop entirely.. and with nothing on TV to rekindle the flame, they are lost to the sport.

As said, the first thing people say as a reason for not buying something is very often not the real reason.

• Like 2

I'm not talking about those who drifted away prior to the vast increase in televised speedway

It's those who have gone since - indeed there may be many reasons, but it is the televising that causes them to stay away

For example, there are financial savings to be gained by watching on tv compared with regular track attendance

Televising therefore offers that incentive, being the cause of staying away, not the reason

Your knowledge of human nature does not seem to recognise that some patrons actually enjoy the sport itself, with no tribal instinct to support only one team - therefore "skipping it to watch another team on tv" doesn't actually enter their equation

47 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

Your knowledge of human nature does not seem to recognise that some patrons actually enjoy the sport itself, with no tribal instinct to support only one team - therefore "skipping it to watch another team on tv" doesn't actually enter their equation

A very small minority.

1 minute ago, BWitcher said:

A very small minority.

I take it from your previous comments that you actually know each of them and everything about their nature

Will you accept that the increased amount of televised speedway in recent years has actually caused attendances at league meetings in the UK to fall?

I'm not saying it's the only cause

49 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

I take it from your previous comments that you actually know each of them and everything about their nature

Will you accept that the increased amount of televised speedway in recent years has actually caused attendances at league meetings in the UK to fall?

I'm not saying it's the only cause

No, because it is impossible to prove.

I know of a number of people who have started attending the sport since TV coverage came in.

What I will say is that the way the tv coverage has been used has not been anywhere near as beneficial to the sport as it should have been in terms of attracting new fans. It's not TV coverage itself that is the problem, simply the way it has been used.

1 hour ago, Midland Red said:

If 25 meetings per year is enough to stop people wanting to attend domestic speedway meetings then the BSPA are doing something badly wrong that people do not feel invested in their local teams and do not care about seeing it live.

And I know you meant all the speedway on TV include Sweden, Polish replays, and the BSI and One Sport events.  But those are beyond the ability of British fans to easily attend and outside of the control of authorities and promotions here to do anything about.

Besides, every sport has international competitions and faces leagues from other countries being televised.  Very few blame their failings on it rather than seeing what they can do to make their gamedays as attractive as possible, and make their teams important parts of their community so that people are invested in them rather than just seeing the sport as a TV programme.

And what sort of solution is offered by blaming TV anyway?  If the BSPA decides to protect attendances by dropping any TV coverage, it is not without precedent as that is what the EIHL did, then there will still be a lot of speedway on TV from around Europe.  So if that is the problem taking the SGB Premiership out of the mix will not improve anything.  

Were attendances increased for the first part of last season, before BT's coverage began in the summer?

Incidentally, the attendances for the EIHL dropped very slightly after their decision so at best it had no impact.  Although their games were only on Premier Sports, and many of their clubs sell live streams to their games anyway.  I am also not sure whether they contributed to the production costs either, in which case it could still be a financial gain.  Meanwhile the second tier of ice hockey collapsed, and with FreeSports picking up the KHL playoffs there will be more hockey on TV.

TV coverage provides a platform to attract fans and sponsors.  It is then up to the sport how it chooses to take advantage of that, and the whole experience of attending a meeting in general, to make people want to turn up and keep returning.

If people would rather be a neutral than support a team, if they would rather watch anyone on TV than attend a match, then either the TV coverage is phenomenally good or the sport is is promoting itself poorly.  I actually enjoy Nigel and Kelvin, and even I do not think the former.

From the time Speedway was televised live attendances has never stopped falling at the tracks.  TV is the worst enemy that Speedway can have.Attendances at the tracks will never go up until they stop showing it live. It does no favours for any sport

Funny how only speedway has lost supporters due to television coverage. It's quite an achievement when you think about it, if it were true.

Maybe it would be better if TV walked away and spent its efforts on a more intelligent and grateful sport. 

14 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Funny how only speedway has lost supporters due to television coverage. It's quite an achievement when you think about it, if it were true.

Maybe it would be better if TV walked away and spent its efforts on a more intelligent and grateful sport. 

25,000 Dortmund fans boycott game because of tv on monday!!

http://www.spiegel.de/sport/fussball/bundesliga-borussia-dortmund-patzt-bei-fan-boykott-gegen-montagsspiele-a-1195537.html

9 minutes ago, iris123 said:

And if Dortmund were riding high and challenging for the Bundesliga like they were in the not too distant past do you think they would be boycotting?

I think the next game will probably be 81,000 as usual,we will see,it is a general protest about Monday night games.Not sure who is next up,but wouldn’t be surprised if some protest is arranged

How do people know that TV has stopped people attending ?...I actually went to some meetings last year because I saw the NSS on TV and it made me go...I'd not been to a live meeting for years....sure I didn't go every week but that's circumstances...without TV I'd never have gone at all.....how do people know others haven't done the same....how do they do that crowds wouldn't have dwindled even more without TV....they wete dwinding before TV anyway...certainly less people would actually know about the product if it wasn't on TV...

It's easy to blame TV for speedway's problems but that just papering over massive cracks...a sport needs TV and without it even less people will know anything about it and even less people will show up..

• Like 7

43 minutes ago, iris123 said:

I think the next game will probably be 81,000 as usual,we will see,it is a general protest about Monday night games.Not sure who is next up,but wouldn’t be surprised if some protest is arranged

Yeah I understand, just think it's easier to organise such a thing when the team is struggling.