British Speedway Forum
Mark

Bt Sport Coverage

Speedway should have used TV coverage to promote itself ... that word is the ultimate problem!! It didnt.

The opportunity was there for those in charge at the time to give it a re imaging, it should have taken a hard look at sports such as darts and especially Rugby League who just about gave a rebirth to their sports image.

Unfortunately Speedway plodded along with the old, tired meeting format from a wandering amble of centre green staff to the tune of Fanfare for the Common Man or similar soundtrack to endless gaps in racing for numerous reasons.

The chance for reviving the sport has now, unfortunately, IMO, gone.

• Like 1

The BSPA re-branded the whole sport only two years ago ( SGB PL & CL ) - they just forgot to tell the outside world, who haven't yet noticed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dodger Blue said:

Think it may have needed a bit more that giving the leagues a different name!!! :lol:

It was brilliant idea because attendances could easily ( they thought ) match those at PL and CL football matches ( if everyone knew about it ). It was just the promoting of the name change where the idea fell down  and the crowds didn't materialise.

2 hours ago, Stainlesssteelride said:

With foresight like yours, you should be running speedway.  

Doomongers like you have been saying the same thing since the 50's, 80's, 90's and 00's. I guess we know how that turned out.

3 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

It was brilliant idea because attendances could easily ( they thought ) match those at PL and CL football matches ( if everyone knew about it ). It was just the promoting of the name change where the idea fell down  and the crowds didn't materialise.

Apart from that .... complete success!!

2 hours ago, Haza said:

Have I missed it ? Has the new tv deal been announced? If so how many meetings are BT covering ? 

I was wondering the same.

Do any teams have a sponsor board in front of which they conduct interviews? This would, surely, encourage new sponsors amd cost pretty much nothing.

These are common place in most sports now, but I don't recall seeing any? I may be wrong though.

Or how about the big markings on the centre green like you see on the rugby pitch in the 6 nations - set up to look like they are upright when on camera? Surely the more of a high profile they give their sponsors, the more high profile sponsors they will attract.

27 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

Doomongers like you have been saying the same thing since the 50's, 80's, 90's and 00's. I guess we know how that turned out.

I said it was mainly tongue in cheek, maybe that went over your head, .some speedway fans take things far too seriously. 

1 hour ago, Stainlesssteelride said:

I said it was mainly tongue in cheek, maybe that went over your head, .some speedway fans take things far too seriously. 

Maybe my response was also tongue in cheek, probably went over your head also. 

19 hours ago, BWitcher said:

Yeah I understand, just think it's easier to organise such a thing when the team is struggling.

We will have to wait and see what happens when Bayern play on a Monday,but there is a general across the board feeling of being pee'd off with tv(Sky)wanting so many days and so many different kick off times as well.It seems the fans are organising themselves and are to an extent being taken serious by the Bundesliga.The fans argument is that football use them,their noise,their colour and their numbers to gain sponsors and tv deals,but are exploiting their support.

The first Monday game two weeks ago the fans of both clubs made a pact to go silent through the game making sure there was no atmosphere.The Dortmund fan clubs elected to boycott the game.I am sure the protests will go on.But for how long and with what result is  up in the air.The Bundesliga are saying the deal is signed for the next two seasons or so and there is nothing they can do.The situation is probably made worse now that a day or so ago the Champions League announced they will also have two different kick off times

When there was no BT Sport coverage last season before June/July did the tracks notice a huge resurgence of supporters returning to see meetings live in the previous months?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, mike1944 said:

When there was no BT Sport coverage last season before June/July did the tracks notice a huge resurgence of supporters returning to see meetings live in the previous months?

not at poole we never

1 hour ago, mike1944 said:

Interestingly, I do remember more than one thread in early 2017 did indeed involve a discussion on some people's feelings that early season crowds were quite encouraging.

The last 2017 post on this thread was on June 2.
BT Sport started their 2017 coverage on June 19.

I make no claim that the two are directly connected.
But you did ask.

Edited by Grand Central

6 hours ago, Grand Central said:

Interestingly, I do remember more than one thread in early 2017 did indeed involve a discussion on some people's feelings that early season crowds were quite encouraging.

The last 2017 post on this thread was on June 2.
BT Sport started their 2017 coverage on June 19.

I make no claim that the two are directly connected.
But you did ask.

Early season crowds are always 'encouraging'.. there are 'big' crowds across the Easter period for example.