British Speedway Forum
Mark

Bt Sport Coverage

8 hours ago, BWitcher said:

Early season crowds are always 'encouraging'.. there are 'big' crowds across the Easter period for example. 

Indeed there are.
And anyone with a money spinning Good Friday meeting would, I am sure, prefer NOT to be having it broadcast LIVE on TV.
Or to be running against a live TV meeting elsewhere.

Common sense what impact it would have on their bottom line.

Edited by Grand Central

15 hours ago, BWitcher said:

Early season crowds are always 'encouraging'.. there are 'big' crowds across the Easter period for example. 

Over the Easter weekend we will have the usual 'bumper crowds' press releases from various promotions around the country..

Sadly a 'bumper crowd' for many is now 1500 - 1800 whereas even just ten years or so ago, it was around 2500 - 3000..

And of that 1500 - 1800, how many actually attend again that season?

Or perhaps more significantly, what is exactly done on the day to entice them back again?

• Like 2

19 hours ago, mikebv said:

Over the Easter weekend we will have the usual 'bumper crowds' press releases from various promotions around the country..

Sadly a 'bumper crowd' for many is now 1500 - 1800 whereas even just ten years or so ago, it was around 2500 - 3000..

And of that 1500 - 1800, how many actually attend again that season?

Or perhaps more significantly, what is exactly done on the day to entice them back again?

On that note do the promoters EVER declare the attendance figures, like they do for most football matches?  

Most football clubs have more than enough money to pay the tax man!!

53 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Most football clubs have more than enough money to pay the tax man!!

Are you suggesting that Speedway promoters are breaking the law by not paying the required amount of tax?

7 minutes ago, Steve0 said:

Are you suggesting that Speedway promoters are breaking the law by not paying the required amount of tax?

All promotions are a business Steve, therefore will pay the correct  amount of tax. They couldnt afford not to, otherwise the taxman will dig and dig..

32 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

All promotions are a business Steve, therefore will pay the correct  amount of tax. They couldnt afford not to, otherwise the taxman will dig and dig..

So why not release attendance figures?  Something to hide? Creative accounting?

11 minutes ago, Steve0 said:

So why not release attendance figures?  Something to hide? Creative accounting?

I agree with you Steve, but tha thats for some reason always been the case.

Edited by Starman2006

3 hours ago, Starman2006 said:

I agree with you Steve, but tha thats for some reason always been the case.

A couple of years ago at Lynn Buster was asked about giving out the attendance at meetings and his answer was that when he was chairman of Kings Lynn F.C. and the attendance was given out there was always fans shouting out that there were more at the game and that they were on the fiddle so he said it wasn’t worth the agro. Personally I would be interested in what the crowd was at meetings but not unduly bothered if it isn’t.

I notice sometimes at Lynn that you get given a preprinted ticket off the desk then another time the ticket comes from the ticket machine which I'm sure is all above board.

1 minute ago, Daniel Smith said:

I notice sometimes at Lynn that you get given a preprinted ticket off the desk then another time the ticket comes from the ticket machine which I'm sure is all above board.

I’ve never had a pre printed ticket before.

2 hours ago, Clive Ward said:

A couple of years ago at Lynn Buster was asked about giving out the attendance at meetings and his answer was that when he was chairman of Kings Lynn F.C. and the attendance was given out there was always fans shouting out that there were more at the game and that they were on the fiddle so he said it wasn’t worth the agro. Personally I would be interested in what the crowd was at meetings but not unduly bothered if it isn’t.

Thing is, those fans cannot prove that, it has to be taken on trust. If you are a regular fan at any track you can get a rough idea how many are there, within say 200 or so, but you dont know for sure. But speedway has never released attendances. I think a few old world finals did, ie wembley 81. I think i recall them saying it was 80k, and considering Cardiff get no more than say 45k that is very good.

Edited by Starman2006

I was at the 1981 final at Wembley and I am sure I remember the official attendance given as over 92,000! That was some atmosphere. The current Wembley stadium has a capacity of 90,000 whereas the 'old' Wembley had a capacity of 100,000 but was limited for evening events I seem to recall.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dj350z said:

I was at the 1981 final at Wembley and I am sure I remember the official attendance given as over 92,000! That was some atmosphere. The current Wembley stadium has a capacity of 90,000 whereas the 'old' Wembley had a capacity of 100,000 but was limited for evening events I seem to recall.

I was there.The air horns were deafening. As you say, a great atmosphere :wink:

• Like 2

The live tv league match between Arsenal and Man City ,the gate given was over 58,000.Looking at the gaps in the crowd I suspect Diane Abbott was on the turnstiles

• Like 1