British Speedway Forum
Mark

Bt Sport Coverage

Only a quid for the programme too!! Although I lament those days, we are never going to get back to anything like that so we have to support what we do have and make the most of the sport.

IMG_1593.JPG

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mickthemuppet said:

The live tv league match between Arsenal and Man City ,the gate given was over 58,000.Looking at the gaps in the crowd I suspect Diane Abbott was on the turnstiles

Trouble is that most of those gaps were for fans with season tickets and forever what reason those fans didn’t attend they still count them in the attendance even though they have only bought the ticket but aren’t actually there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mickthemuppet said:

The live tv league match between Arsenal and Man City ,the gate given was over 58,000.Looking at the gaps in the crowd I suspect Diane Abbott was on the turnstiles

Thing is mate, to my eyes there was no where near58 k there.  The comentator said the same thing.

2 hours ago, dj350z said:

Only a quid for the programme too!! Although I lament those days, we are never going to get back to anything like that so we have to support what we do have and make the most of the sport.

IMG_1593.JPG

Thing is in those days Speedway was supported by the National news papers,  they could do with getting involved with Cardiff.

• Like 2

Remember 81, what an atmosphere there was at Wembley , electric, however if you needed the toilets, they were Neanthedral. I stayed with my sister and the news later was that the Police could not believe that 90,000 plus people could attend Wembley and no arrests were made.

28 minutes ago, hrhbig said:

Remember 81, what an atmosphere there was at Wembley , electric, however if you needed the toilets, they were Neanthedral. I stayed with my sister and the news later was that the Police could not believe that 90,000 plus people could attend Wembley and no arrests were made.

There you go, speedway is a different kettle of fish to football. although football does seem to be mellowing a bit. Fans are now starting to comunicate better. The same as the Cheltenham festival, you cannot get near a toilet for love nor money if you go as a punter. If you do you need waterproof shoes...:rolleyes:
But i do feel the powers that be need to try and tap up a national newspaper to give cardiff some sponsorship and a bit of coverage.

Edited by Starman2006
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hrhbig said:

Absolutely correct. Somewhere in my archives I have a letter from the Police Chief that was in charge that day, it gave the exact attendance figure and as a footnote he put "there was not a single arrest, and I just wish it was so for every event held there"  We used this letter as evidence at a planning application for Speedway in Norwich, to show that you could get over 90,000+ fans from every track in the country together in one stadium without any trouble. I was really proud of that fact, but sadly it did nothing for the planners, and the application like many before and since.....was refused!

4 hours ago, Starman2006 said:

Thing is mate, to my eyes there was no where near58 k there.  The comentator said the same thing.

For some reason its announced by the dj as the "attendance" but in the press box the info is given as "tickets sold"..

I was there in my season ticket and there were no more than about 38-40 i would say.  Loads of season ticket holders around me didn't come but to be fair the weather was appalling and it was pretty much impossible to get to london from the south of the river, let alone for folk coming from further afield.

17 minutes ago, The Doctor... said:

For some reason its announced by the dj as the "attendance" but in the press box the info is given as "tickets sold"..

I was there in my season ticket and there were no more than about 38-40 i would say.  Loads of season ticket holders around me didn't come but to be fair the weather was appalling and it was pretty much impossible to get to london from the south of the river, let alone for folk coming from further afield.

Yep as you say, the weather was applauling and whether you have a season ticket or not people will not travel or cannot in that. But it did seem strange when it was anounced there was 58k there.

2 hours ago, Bunce said:

Absolutely correct. Somewhere in my archives I have a letter from the Police Chief that was in charge that day, it gave the exact attendance figure and as a footnote he put "there was not a single arrest, and I just wish it was so for every event held there"  We used this letter as evidence at a planning application for Speedway in Norwich, to show that you could get over 90,000+ fans from every track in the country together in one stadium without any trouble. I was really proud of that fact, but sadly it did nothing for the planners, and the application like many before and since.....was refused!

WAS a lot less than 90,000

8 hours ago, dj350z said:

I was at the 1981 final at Wembley and I am sure I remember the official attendance given as over 92,000! That was some atmosphere. The current Wembley stadium has a capacity of 90,000 whereas the 'old' Wembley had a capacity of 100,000 but was limited for evening events I seem to recall.

I believe the official attendance for Wembley in 1981 was 71,000.  That's still a massively impressive figure, though.

Would it be fair to say the longer this saga goes on the less likely there will be League Speedway on TV this season, 

3 minutes ago, Argos said:

Would it be fair to say the longer this saga goes on the less likely there will be League Speedway on TV this season, 

It would appear it's all virtually signed and sealed.  The wait for announcement is baffling. 

I was led to believe a few years ago the reason that attendance figures weren't given out is because not a single track in the country would have the correct amount of marshals, and if alcohol is being sold not the right amount of security either.