British Speedway Forum
Mark

Bt Sport Coverage

i personally would think a 'Match of the Day' type production would be the way to go, highlights from the previous weeks action maybe... :unsure:

That would make sense, edited highlights more likely to attract new fans

i personally would think a 'Match of the Day' type production would be the way to go, highlights from the previous weeks action maybe... :unsure:

Serious question, but what exactly are the "highlights" of speedway? We don't have goals, knockouts, touchdown etc. Would you show the best heat from each meeting? That doesn't exactly articulate the balance of a meeting, in the same way showing the goals from both teams shows the ebb and flow of a football match.

Serious question, but what exactly are the "highlights" of speedway? We don't have goals, knockouts, touchdown etc. Would you show the best heat from each meeting? That doesn't exactly articulate the balance of a meeting, in the same way showing the goals from both teams shows the ebb and flow of a football match.

bit of a strange question to be honest... what do you think constitutes to 'highlights'..?

Why do you think it should be a race, for me it may be 4 or 5 heats from the whole weeks matches including maybe ' a day in the life' of certain riders throughout the season... which in turn would fill an hour a week.

YET to be approved by the BSPA, not all of whom perceive any advantage from having British speedway televised.

And if anybody wanted any further evidence that the UK sports ruling body are clueless their it is.

• Like 4

That'll keep the armchair supporters happy, save them having to pay their entrance money at the turnstiles

Another coffin nail hammered in

Many us live many miles from a speedway track and others have work commitments. Myself I fall in to both categories,can and only get to about 8 meetings a year TV just wets the appitipe for the real thing.

• Like 1

That'll keep the armchair supporters happy, save them having to pay their entrance money at the turnstiles

Five million households receive BT Sport. I'm not sure how many people go to speedway on a weekly basis, but I'd guess there is some potential to attract new fans there.

Some are armchair fans now because they've lost their local track, not everyone has access to transport for further afield.

• Like 2

£99 per meeting or £999? Can't see it being worth much more to the BT Sport portfolio of motorsport.

And let's hope they have insisted on a £9.99 ticket for those who prefer it live!

Edited by waytogo28

If they go for Monday and Thursday for the Premiership, and televise live Premiership on Mondays, those other tracks running on a Monday will be in direct opposition to the tv - I take it more tracks will operate on a Monday than at present if fixed nights comes about

Doesn't make a lot of sense - if there has to live tv there should be no other track running that night

Realistically who wants to watch teams full of guests and R/R every week anyways. Add to that having to see mongs like Sargeant go through the tapes everytime he comes to them just makes British speedway even more of a laughing stock. Be better if they streamed every Polish meeting weekly, at least its taken seriously over there.

If they go for Monday and Thursday for the Premiership, and televise live Premiership on Mondays, those other tracks running on a Monday will be in direct opposition to the tv - I take it more tracks will operate on a Monday than at present if fixed nights comes about

Doesn't make a lot of sense - if there has to live tv there should be no other track running that night

Have been saying for ages that if local meeting is against a not very good team or the weather is a bit iffy some people will decide to stay at home and watch the meeting on the tv, especially if they are unable to record or watch a repeat of it.

It might be advantageous for BT Sport to show the whole meeting with all the races in full and most of the crap removed like watching most of the time with gardening, tapes being broken andreruns of false starts when the machines get a full service and refill of fuel and track grading. Show all the false starts by all means but cut out all the waiting and time wasting. This would make a much better programme for viewers.

The amount of time wasting is horrendous, sometimes I wonder if it is created by the promoters to spin the meeting out. Cut out time wasting and you have got a decent 60 minute TV programme. As for spinning the meeting out unless there is a rider with two rides in succession or track grading taking place when a heat is finished, the riders should come out and be ready to race as the riders of the previous heat return to the pits, or would this look too embarrassing for a sport charging at least £1 for a little over of 60 seconds of actual racing. Football is expensive especially for the Premiership League but at least one does get 90 minutes football and even allowing for time wasting far more for your money.

Sometimes standing in the cold and wind and sometimes rain when they cannot make up their minds whether to call a meeting off of not. poor track facilities and little comfort for around £15 for around 20 minutes actual racing max.

• Like 1

The sport needs TV coverage and it needs to see the at home audience grow over the next few years to show the sport is progressing even if in reality it's TV figures, people love progressive sports and it needs that opportunity in order for it to become worth paying for, use BT even if free, grow the audience to sell to another broadcaster