Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Mark

Bt Sport Coverage

I thought he'd negotiated a deal but some members of the BSPA weren't keen to agree to it.

TRUE and now he is trying to find a solution. Repeat what I wrote earlier ... British speedway needs BT more than BT needs British speedway.

• Like 3

Russell is an excellent negotiator. Is he on a fixed fee with the BSPA or a % ?

A % age and has creamed enough off in the last 15 years. Will he still get the same % age or switch , cannily, to a fixed fee to ensure that his share in not reduced?

A % age and has creamed enough off in the last 15 years. Will he still get the same % age or switch , cannily, to a fixed fee to ensure that his share in not reduced?

He is the major reason we have had TV Speedway for many years. Good on him if he’s made a few quid - shame others weren’t so savvy and wasted the opportunity.

• Like 1

Shame someone in the BSPA hasn't got the ability to do the deal, Instead of much needed revenue going outside of the sport.

• Like 1

Shame someone in the BSPA hasn't got the ability to do the deal, Instead of much needed revenue going outside of the sport.

NOT unusual in any sport ... IMG, for example, negotiate TV deals for many sports. Don't do it for nothing.

90 per cent of something (not saying this is what it is) is better than 100 per cent of nothing.

Edited by PHILIPRISING

NOT unusual in any sport ... IMG, for example, negotiate TV deals for many sports. Don't do it for nothing.

90 per cent of something (not saying this is what it is) is better than 100 per cent of nothing.

I was reliably informed that it is 20%. So yes 80% is worth having but someone who truly cares about the sport might have considered waiving their fee now the Sky deal has ended. Hmmmm.

• Like 1

Likewise, been watching our boys in Oz too!

Some of the quality has been near awful but on the whole okish with a good signal.

Love periscope for all the cycle speedway stuff tho, including all the major British events over here too.

This thread amazes me, There should never be any question about the need for a deal with BT. Speedway is in desperate need of a wider audience, advertising if you like, TV gives that to both the sport and riders. Very few products become popular without exposure to the public, corn flakes, cars, airlines etc etc all are all advertised on TV - getting the product known is vital. Granted the actual product has to be half decent but that's another topic!

Getting a minority sport onto TV is not easy, you can spend many hours trying to find a suitable production company (not easy) who will then get slots on Sky or whatever, but it costs money and is certainly not viable on a weekly basis. Never tried to get a live event out there but I imagine that would be extra difficult. IMO opinion if BT are going to do the job for free then speedway in it's current state should bite their hands off.

I've seen the cycle speedway from Australia, it's fine but I suspect the only people who will watch periscope are those who have an interest in the first place,

I was reliably informed that it is 20%. So yes 80% is worth having but someone who truly cares about the sport might have considered waiving their fee now the Sky deal has ended. Hmmmm.

How much of his commission is used to prop-up Swindon?

Even if they aren't getting offered any money and BT are just prepared to cover the costs of showing meetings I don't see why anyone with sense would turn that down.

Most clubs had 1 home meeting shown last year, surely the added sponsorship deals that can be made from being shown on TV is worth more than a few people who don't bother turning up because they can watch it at home? And if people are not attending tracks because a meeting from elsewhere is being shown then perhaps promoters should be asking themselves why people prefer to stay at home and watch something they could easily record instead of just blaming it for their problems.

It's about time that it was made public who votes for what at these meetings, just like in other sports.

• Like 3

No not usual in Sport, however in a Sport that is on the bones of its ass it could be suggested that the % that Russell takes out is more needed staying in the Sport rather than in his back pocket.

Maybe you disagree ?

No not usual in Sport, however in a Sport that is on the bones of its ass it could be suggested that the % that Russell takes out is more needed staying in the Sport rather than in his back pocket.

Maybe you disagree ?

If he is a good enough negotiator that he can get more money for British Speedway, after his commission, than they could have got without him, they are ahead. It is not a zero sum game.

Shame with all these top businessmen/Promoters in the Sport that a couple of those don't have the skills to get a reduced package with a new provider.

Maybe you disagree ?

AS has already been eluded to, probably helps Swindon survive. But, even if it doesn't, if Terry provides. money that the sport wouldn't otherwise have, what's the problem?

I had the opportunity to have a good catch up with some former colleagues yesterday after a trade event at the Oval in London they gave me the latest as far they are aware from the BT side.

Deal has been offered to BSPA which is that BT will cover all production costs and each staging club will get a £3000 meeting fee.

In return BT want minimum of 7 GP riders in the league, a minimum of 10 meetings to televise, All TV meetings apart from finals to be £10 or complimentary and full co operation of all clubs with regards to fixtures so the best meetings can be broadcast.

Now some promotors are refusing to sign the deal as they feel they are being undervalued and that they are looking for more money per meeting and want some payment towards rights.

It has to be all clubs or none that's the deal I just hope the No brigade can be convinced soon to save the deal.

• Like 5