British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

Teterow Germany Gp Saturday 9th September

If the world championship went back too a one meeting event I would be very sad, and I think modern speedway would be lacking. Having 15/16 of the worlds top riders racing together 12 times a year appeals to me much better then a one off meeting, as good as they were.

Quite agree. We would go every year to the British, Commonwealth & Overseas Finals, loved those meetings. Would be a mad scramble to find what channel the World final would be on then find a friend who had Sky/Cable and could (VHS) record it for us!

However times have changed and GP series give us the opportunity to see multiple 'world finals' every year.

• Like 2

JUST did :neutral::neutral:

But, you're tight, let's not go there

Sorry, Philip - what does "you're tight" mean in this context?

Where does one find this?

Watch it on the Youtube HD channel. No ad breaks or back to the studio tedium.

SLOPPY work on my behalf ... should be 'right'

Aha! Take it you've little time for F1, Philip?

Aha! Take it you've little time for F1, Philip?

EXACTLY ... and Sky have the audacity to show 'highlights' of F1 races for hours on end. What highlights? Had more interest when McLaren, whose factory is less than a mile from where I live, were competitive and many of the Woking based guys used my local boozer.

• Like 1

I enjoyed the one off world finals, most I saw were at Wembley, the one exception was the last one I seen and that was 1976 in Katowice when PC won it, and its because we, wife and I, wanted to see PC win the world title and we put our money on that year. Thats was a fantastic afternoon and still watch the replays available on You Tube.

Its only since 2013 I started seeing the GP series on TV (may have seen an odd one before that). Went to Cardiff 2013-14-15, and I love the series.

If the world championship went back too a one meeting event I would be very sad, and I think modern speedway would be lacking. Having 15/16 of the worlds top riders racing together 12 times a year appeals to me much better then a one off meeting, as good as they were.

Like yourself have been lucky enough to see both one off World Finals and GP series. As good as the GP series is it rarely matches the one off final for pure tension .It's easy in the GP series to write off a bad night , in the old World Championship a bad night meant elimination and the end of your challenge ,every meeting mattered ,hear some riders now get 10 points in a night and claim they are happy with the nights work, 10 points in a World Final used to leave you bitterly disappointed at a near miss. People on here seem to think there was no good racing in the one off final, I've just watched the highlights of the 1973 final from Chorzow on youtube, absolutely fantastic racing , my only regret in speedway not been born in the right era to go to Katowice in 73 or 76, jealous of all those Brits who went in that era. Just imagine if the round at Torun this year was a one off, all on the night ,winner takes all final, mouth-watering !

Edited by New Science
  • Like 3

As a german it is very disappointing what i have to read here...

They had rain almost all week long. It was raining on friday all the time, even on saturday a big shower came down at 3 o'clock. So i would say it was fantastic work that the track staff made it rideable and raceable! You cant expect proper racing after that, you have to be lucky they could even start the GP.

You can think about other venues in germany, but i can tell you this is the only place in germany where you will get that much spectators. Landshut for example is limited for about 8000 and the track is not much better. Not much passing there either. At Teterow they had a wonderful track last year and this year in may, but when Phil Morris is in charge of the track preperation, he is to blame for the track if there is no passing!

And yes the track is in the middle of the forest, and next to the bergring, Teterow is a small place that has not much to offer.

But in Germany we dont have speedway tracks in bigger cities where you just use a plane to get there and dont need a rental car or so. the tracks are mostly located outside of the city centers where you dont disturb anybody. Same in Sweden, and to be honest, they dont need much foreigners, cause most oft the fans that go there, are germans from that area.

What did we have in the past? Krsko, Lonigo, Terenzano, Tampere and so on... How many spectators have been there??? Teterow is the perfect place for a German GP, and Fans are accepting it, they like it, so they keep coming. Next year it will be the same. about 13000 spectators, the stadium looks full. What else can you ask for? Once the weather will be fine and the track staff can prepare the track the way they do it usually, you will have good racing.

But it will never be like Belle Vue, the shape of the track is just not perfect for good racing. Straights and corners need to be wider.

• Like 3

Terrible meeting watch on the TV. Championship over it seems.

Just imagine if the round at Torun this year was a one off, all on the night ,winner takes all final, mouth-watering !

I was there 2012 when it went down the the wire and it was pretty bloody good.

Terrible meeting watch on the TV. Championship over it seems.

Thats the spirit...

Having just watched my recording of the Teterow Grand Prix , I have to say it was the worst of the season ! Race after race was 'from the gate' - very little attempt at passing from what are supposed to be the best riders in the world. Very disappointing !

Only in your opinion Ive been going to GPs since 2004 and seen many unbelievable meetings.

teterow this year was unbelievable

teterow this year was unbelievable

Zagar Vaculik 1,2 was pretty unbelievable correct

Edited by RPNYC
  • Like 1

Having just watched my recording of the Teterow Grand Prix , I have to say it was the worst of the season ! Race after race was 'from the gate' - very little attempt at passing from what are supposed to be the best riders in the world. Very disappointing !

AS I've said, no fan of Teterow but given the weather how many tracks would have been better in those circumstances? Can think of many that would have been far worse.

• Like 3