British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

Teterow Germany Gp Saturday 9th September

If Teterow had been a one off world final meeting, Zagar would have been world champ.

I would love to see Zagar as world champ as IMO he is a class rider, BUT the way he has ridden this year he is not up there, and it would have been an injustice if he had been crowned world champ.

Thats why I favour the GPs these days.

Edited by OveFundinFan

If Teterow had been a one off world final meeting, Zagar would have been world champ.

I would love to see Zagar as world champ as IMO he is a class rider, BUT the way he has ridden this year he is not up there, and it would have been an injustice if he had been crowned world champ.

Surely if Teterow had been a one off World Final Jason Doyle would be champion as the top scorer across the 20 heats. No semis or final in the old one off World Final format.

Of course, if it had been a one off World Final there would have been a completely different level of pressure and the approach of riders would likely have been different.

Having said that, I agree with you that the SGP format is a better way to get our World Champion.

Edited by HenryW
  • Like 1

As i posted before the first GP,Teterow has a reputation as a gate and go track.Fairly boring,but got even worse around the time just before they were awarded the GP

Was trouble with the track at the 2014 U21 world team semi-final.Härtel fell and was out injured in his first heat and at the same part of the track there were a number of incidents afterwards.Jan Steachmann(the top FIM guy there)plus i think it was a finnish ref came out and inspected the track at one point.I think because of protests by the Australian team,but not sure on that.Maybe Johnny the spud was there and can say what happened?I know Nick Morris' father was there and is also a member of the forum......

Anyway i think it was the next season that the track caused more controversy because of it poor state and the senior riders refused to ride their part of the meeting,but the juniors did ride.......

Surely if Teterow had been a one off World Final Jason Doyle would be champion as the top scorer across the 20 heats. No semis or final in the old one off World Final format.

Of course, if it had been a one off World Final there would have been a completely different level of pressure and the approach of riders would likely have been different.

Having said that, I agree with you that the SGP format is a better way to get our World Champion.

Fair do's, I forget to not include the semis and final.

I would love to see Zagar as world champ as IMO he is a class rider, BUT the way he has ridden this year he is not up there,

and it would have been an injustice if he had been crowned world champ.Thats why I favour the GPs these days.

He has been lightning fast the past 2 weeks though. ;)

In the last GP, in the second leg of Smederna's quarter final against Dackarna and in the semi finals against Masarna.

His Elitserien "play offs" (don't like word for speedway's post season cup) scores:

Smederna - Dackarna 5 (1 0 2 2)

Dackarna - Smederna 15 (3 3 3 3 3)

Masarna - Smederna 17 (3 3 2 3 3 3)

Smederna - Masarna 16 (3 3 1 3 3 3)

The common factor of his GP win and the last three of the meetings above is that the tracks have been pretty rough due to rain.

As i posted before the first GP,Teterow has a reputation as a gate and go track.Fairly boring,but got even worse around the time just before they were awarded the GP

Was trouble with the track at the 2014 U21 world team semi-final.Härtel fell and was out injured in his first heat and at the same part of the track there were a number of incidents afterwards.Jan Steachmann(the top FIM guy there)plus i think it was a finnish ref came out and inspected the track at one point.I think because of protests by the Australian team,but not sure on that.Maybe Johnny the spud was there and can say what happened?I know Nick Morris' father was there and is also a member of the forum......

Anyway i think it was the next season that the track caused more controversy because of it poor state and the senior riders refused to ride their part of the meeting,but the juniors did ride.......

1. Over water the track and let it soak overnight. Water it again in the morning. About 500.

2. A tractor with spikes fitted at the back, rip the top layer to pieces. 200 tops.

3. Highway blade to re-do and straighten the top layer. 2-5 hours, 100 per hour.

4. Anything heavy to pack it all back in with moisture. 200-300.

So thats the 1,5k recipe to redo a speedway track. These are prices I've paid during the past summer for track builders, as our track has no equipment of our own.

EDIT: would think prices are about the same in Germany as over here in Tampere.

Edited by f-s-p
  • Like 1

I dont mind the Gps . but i think theres too many rounds , 6 would be enough to sort out who's the best ,and enough for the best to have a bad one and still not lose out overall , minimum disruption to league speedway , and leaves time for the European big open meetings ,like the gold bar etc ,

• Like 1

Iris they have totally rebuilt the track surfice last year after the last meeting there. They have improved highly and the track has been good so far. But what can you do against all that rain??? I don't think you realized how much water came down..oO

Iris they have totally rebuilt the track surfice last year after the last meeting there. They have improved highly and the track has been good so far. But what can you do against all that rain??? I don't think you realized how much water came down..oO

None of that changes the reputation the track has gained over the past decade or so.The new track surface hasn't had enough meetings to make a decent judgement i would say.

Of course the rain had a big effect.But should it have had such a great effect if it stopped around 15:00?I have been to Holsted where it really poured down about an hour before the meeting was due to start.They scraped off the top slime and layed dry shale down.think the start was delayed a little,but the track was about the same as Teterow,but with far less time.If you look at f-s-p's recipe for a good track they had the rain and still had 4 hours or so to get a track together.But like you said,the fault for that was down to Phil Morris......

None of that changes the reputation the track has gained over the past decade or so.The new track surface hasn't had enough meetings to make a decent judgement i would say.

Of course the rain had a big effect.But should it have had such a great effect if it stopped around 15:00?I have been to Holsted where it really poured down about an hour before the meeting was due to start.They scraped off the top slime and layed dry shale down.think the start was delayed a little,but the track was about the same as Teterow,but with far less time.If you look at f-s-p's recipe for a good track they had the rain and still had 4 hours or so to get a track together.But like you said,the fault for that was down to Phil Morris......

BUT had it rained in Holsted for several days before the meeting including Friday and Saturday rather than just for an hour?

BUT had it rained in Holsted for several days before the meeting including Friday and Saturday rather than just for an hour?

Should it not maybe be made a requirement that outdoor GP venues should have track covers available?

It seemed crazy that the track hosting the U21 round the night before had covers but the more prestigious GP venue didn't.

• Like 2

No idea.But it was one of the reasons why i never leave the house if the weather isn't perfect.Of course once i have travelled all that way i am p'd off if the meeting isn't on.On the other hand all i am watching is riders going round a track rather than actully racing.One of the reasons i didn't go to Güstrow(which i would have prioritised) or Teterow last weekend.Also hoping to go to Brokstedt sunday,but the weather is again a bit iffy...Sadly nowadays speedway can't cope with bad weather and i am not willing to spend any money on the sort of racing we saw at Teterow

Should it not maybe be made a requirement that outdoor GP venues should have track covers available?

It seemed crazy that the track hosting the U21 round the night before had covers but the more prestigious GP venue didn't.

No idea.But it was one of the reasons why i never leave the house if the weather isn't perfect.Of course once i have travelled all that way i am p'd off if the meeting isn't on.On the other hand all i am watching is riders going round a track rather than actully racing.One of the reasons i didn't go to Güstrow(which i would have prioritised) or Teterow last weekend.Also hoping to go to Brokstedt sunday,but the weather is again a bit iffy...Sadly nowadays speedway can't cope with bad weather and i am not willing to spend any money on the sort of racing we saw at Teterow

A detail that has struck me in the face during an EXTREMELY wet summer regarding our track: drainage! Covers or no covers, good track or not, if the drainage is not up to the job, covers dont matter.

Extreme example is Munkebo in Denmark, which I believe to be close to sea level. I read that somewhere, during a season when their track was deemed crap all summer. What can you do if the ground water is looming only 0,5 meters under??? Even the best possible drainage on-site dont matter either, if the pipes are crashed 50 meters away... That example is from real life as well...

• Like 2