British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

Teterow Germany Gp Saturday 9th September

Imagine winning a GP and finding out that that's the trophy!! ebay?

Better than the Blue Riband trophy

For those who would like to see the one off world final nights only have to watch this tonight to see that the wrong man could end up being world champ.

And thats not being disrespectful to Zagar - on form he is a great rider and I would love to see on form regularly, but the world championship needs a GP series like we have - and I seen many world finals at Wembley.

The riders tonight must be very frustrated with track conditions like tonight - not much racing, very strung out.

The track caught most of the Poles out, got a bit tricky and they not up to it. Zmarzlik is a full trottle rider with not much throttle control IMO. Track got him really bad tonight.

At least the ref was consistent with his moving at the tapes - just absolutely no reason why riders cant go straight round and back to tapes - no pit gates open.

The trophies are shocking. Given out a few GPs ago for the first time, once was enough, but I wouldnt want a collection of them - a complete insult to the effort given winning a trophy just to end up with one of those.

• Like 4

The trophies are shocking. Given out a few GPs ago for the first time, once was enough, but I wouldn't want a collection of them - a complete insult to the effort given winning a trophy just to end up with one of those.

I guess the sponsorship income eases the pain.

Why don't they have the German round at gustrow , you get decent racing at that place

Even better than Güstrow imo would be Landshut down in Bavaria !

Given Zagar's perfomance in Målilla 4 days ago this was perhaps not that surprising and the same can be said for Janowski.

• Like 2

For those who would like to see the one off world final nights only have to watch this tonight to see that the wrong man could end up being world champ.

And thats not being disrespectful to Zagar - on form he is a great rider and I would love to see on form regularly, but the world championship needs a GP series like we have - and I seen many world finals at Wembley.

I'm not arguing for or against the GP's but name an undeserving World Champion from the one off finals. Maybe Jerzy Szczakiel but I can't think of any others.

I'm not arguing for or against the GP's but name an undeserving World Champion from the one off finals. Maybe Jerzy Szczakiel but I can't think of any others.

Sam Ermolenko is an undeserving champion. He should've been excluded for stopping in front of Billy Hamill, causing him to crash.

Hans Nielsen should have been the rightful winner.

• Like 2

Szczakiel won fair and square on the day.

No fluke involved so he was a deserving world champion.

• Like 4

Well that was utter rubbish tonight but at least we didn't have to endure the inane twins screaming "Woffy woffy woffy"!! :) :)

• Like 1

Sam Ermolenko is an undeserving champion. He should've been excluded for stopping in front of Billy Hamill, causing him to crash.

Perhaps, instead of saying undeserving I should have said name a winner who wasn't a worthy World Champion. Ermelenko was and Havelock arguably was but Jerzy Szczakiel never really performed at that level after winning the title.

Perhaps, instead of saying undeserving I should have said name a winner who wasn't a worthy World Champion. Ermelenko was and Havelock arguably was but Jerzy Szczakiel never really performed at that level after winning the title.

Egon Muller was the same. He had a few decent world finals before his win, but didn't do much after.

Now you're into semantics. You must, to the satisfaction of the majority at least, define worthy.

Just to illustrate the difficulty...,

There are many that say that Mr Doyle would have made a worthy champion last year. Well maybe. But had the WC been held in Slovenia, Poland, Denmark, Britain or Sweden as a one off final instead of the GPs held on those dates, then the World Champ would have been Peter Kilderman or Tai Woffinden or Magic Janowski or Antonio Lindback or Greg Hancock. Would they have not been worthy champions?

So maybe a worthy GP champion is the one that wins the most GPs. But then what about Mark Loram? (BTW that makes Magic the most worthy champion so far this year). Or scores the most points? Listen to the Greg Hancock critics on that score.

One man's worthy is another man's "I can't stand the sight of him".

Fans have been having this debate since the year dot. Fun isn't it? :)

• Like 1

Misunderstood the question entirely.

Sam Ermolenko was by far the best rider in the world in 1993 and as such was a worthy World Champion and would almost certainly have won the World Title under a GP system that year.

As for your reference to him not being excluded, that's just the luck on the day which can be talked about in many cases over the years. You seem to be forgetting though, had he been excluded, everything after that changes, who is to say he would still have run a last in his final race, one in which he flew from the start.

I think you're forgetting the obvious one - Gary Havelock :)

Far from obvious.

Havelock was dominant in that particular year, winning or finishing on the rostrum in most, if not all, the qualifying rounds. Again under a GP system he would have been right up there in that particular year.

• Like 1