British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Boothers

Guests & R/r

Hi everyone.

Just a thread to poke my head above the barricade ready to be shot down.

I have no point to prove but those who know me (either personally or from Boothers Bend on the Redcar fans forum) will know I'm an anally retentive anorak who loves messing with stats.

Been a speedway fan since 1973 and although I've enjoyed quite a few Individual meetings my first love has always been team speedway - our 7 versus your 7. There's nothing like a good speedway team match to turn this 58 year old into a fist pumping maniac (or even to shed the odd tear truth be told).

Unfortunately of late the concept of 'our 7 versus your 7' seems to be disappearing. So I've had a little look.

As always - these figures are my own, totally unofficial and are therefore liable to be wrong (but I'll stand by them!)

So far this year there have been 117 Championship matches.

Of these matches only 25 have had 7 home riders versus 7 away riders by which I mean both sides have turned up with 7 contracted riders and not used a Guest facility or Rider Replacement.

25 out of 117.

136 Guests have been used in 117 meetings.

Rider Replacement has been used 45 times.

Teams have used 3 Guests in a single meeting on no less than 7 occasions (and on 3 of those occasions the team concerned also utilised Rider Replacement)

Whilst Berwick's nightmare season with injuries has skewed these figures somewhat through no fault of their own, where is the consistency?

Cheers ,

Boothers

(Be kind to me)

Unfortunately it's just the way modern day speedway is in this country . There always have been and always will be injuries , so a certain amount of guesting and r/r is unavoidable .

But with doubling up completely out of control , and riders riding all over the place , that has resulted in those stats that you highlighted .

Speedway isn't the same as we enjoyed it in the 70's and 80's ( i'm same age as you ) , we either accept it for what it is now , or until a radical overhaul takes place , or we find something else to go and watch .

• Like 9

Hi everyone.

I have no point to prove but those who know me (either personally or from Boothers Bend on the Redcar fans forum) will know I'm an anally retentive anorak who loves messing with stats.

Been a speedway fan since 1973 and although I've enjoyed quite a few Individual meetings my first love has always been team speedway - our 7 versus your 7. There's nothing like a good speedway team match to turn this 58 year old into a fist pumping maniac (or even to shed the odd tear truth be told).

Unfortunately of late the concept of 'our 7 versus your 7' seems to be disappearing. So I've had a little look.

As always - these figures are my own, totally unofficial and are therefore liable to be wrong (but I'll stand by them!)

Of these matches only 25 have had 7 home riders versus 7 away riders by which I mean both sides have turned up with 7 contracted riders and not used a Guest facility or Rider Replacement.

25 out of 117.

Teams have used 3 Guests in a single meeting on no less than 7 occasions (and on 3 of those occasions the team concerned also utilised Rider Replacement)

Whilst Berwick's nightmare season with injuries has skewed these figures somewhat through no fault of their own, where is the consistency?

Cheers ,

Boothers

(Be kind to me)

Something has to change, those figures are dreadful and a lot of people are finding them unacceptable.

• Like 7

Trouble is , speedway nowadays is geared to keep the riders happy . Doubling up , the way tracks are set up , calling meetings off as soon as one has a whinge , that's all to appease them . Fans are just supposed to turn up and accept it . Well as tracks empty at an alarming rate , maybe it's time that changed .

too right paulco,in fact i also agree with the rest of the posts, the problem is (and i fall into the older supporter category)is that nobody knows if there are going to be changes.ever.i,certainly,don<t want to go and watch anything else.i used to go to football as well but fell out with the sport a long time ago due to the ridiculous admission costs and the obscene amount these players were getting paid.speedway has been a massive part of my life and still is, as,i would imagine the same for hundreds of supporters up and down the country.i love everything about the sport.the fabulous supporters first and foremost, the thrill, the smell, the atmosphere etc and if all this was to end i think that i would sink into a very deep depression.seriously.my wife also would probably feel the same, so yes, i do care about the sport,as evidently, so do a lot of other people.yes i do fear greatly for this wonderfull sport of ours and apologies if i seem to be waffling on a little but the bspa and other governing bodies really do have to get together and sort out this huge mess of rules and regulations.yes i do understand that there will inevitably be injuries but these injuries are more frequent because of the amount of racing these brave people are having to do to make a living.i don't know what the answer is except maybe for a consortium to come in with a massive amount of money and take control over the running of the sport, pay the riders a more than liveable wage so that they wouldn't have more than one club.get a proper training academy up and running and for goodness sake get the sport PROPERLY promoted and run.i have been fortunate to witness a lot of terrific racing at owlerton and some racing really does make the hairs on your neck stand up.i don't want, and that includes all of you wonderfull supporters out thereto ever lose that feeling and hope that many of you would agree.

• Like 8

Hi everyone.

25 out of 117.

Cheers ,

Boothers

(Be kind to me)

Great post and stats- as you obviously got a lot of pleasure out of doing it, any chance of the Premiership next, to see how it compares.

• Like 1

Great post and stats- as you obviously got a lot of pleasure out of doing it, any chance of the Premiership next, to see how it compares.

I updated my PL guest stats yesterday morning. Will post a summary in the PL section

Now here:

http://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=84894&hl=

Edited by arnieg
  • Like 1

Great thread.

For the best interest of the sport, It's time to grab it by the scruff of the neck while there's still a chance. Time for the authorities to listen to those long time supporters. Supporters must come first, dwindling support will eventually kill off the sport unless things are changed for the better.

Time for radical rule changes, lets strip it back to the basics. Get rid of the unwanted double points rule, stop the gardening and put a limit the number of double uppers or scrap them altogether.

Oh... and take away the increasing "rider power".. Yes, riders safety is paramount.. but that statement is used to often as a get out clause to abandon a meeting. Give more power to the referee.

Great thread.

For the best interest of the sport, It's time to grab it by the scruff of the neck while there's still a chance. Time for the authorities to listen to those long time supporters. Supporters must come first, dwindling support will eventually kill off the sport unless things are changed for the better.

Time for radical rule changes, lets strip it back to the basics. Get rid of the unwanted double points rule, stop the gardening and put a limit the number of double uppers or scrap them altogether.

Oh... and take away the increasing "rider power".. Yes, riders safety is paramount.. but that statement is used to often as a get out clause to abandon a meeting. Give more power to the referee.

So long as he isn't called McGregor !!

Great thread.

as i see it it is totally impossible to do away with double upers or even limit them as there simply isnt enough riders who can commit t Uk racing,and sadly,a cronic shortage of Brits coming through

and to be quite honest,i quite enjoyed the Lynn meeting this week due to the amount of riders i support doubling up,so it does have a slight up side to

• Like 1

It's a real bonus for we Redcar Bears fans to have such a dedicated guy as Boothers both here, and on the Bears forum. A well deserved pat on the back to you !!

• Like 1

as i see it it is totally impossible to do away with double upers or even limit them as there simply isnt enough riders who can commit t Uk racing,and sadly,a cronic shortage of Brits coming through

and to be quite honest,i quite enjoyed the Lynn meeting this week due to the amount of riders i support doubling up,so it does have a slight up side to

yet at the start of the season Nielsen Jacobs and Sarjeant to name justca few had no club

It's a real bonus for we Redcar Bears fans to have such a dedicated guy as Boothers both here, and on the Bears forum. A well deserved pat on the back to you !!

Aw gee shucks

😶😶😶

Hi again everyone!

As the AGM is taking place and we are expecting to hear of fixed race nights I thought I'd update the stats that I used when starting this thread.

Back in August as my original post stated only 25 out of 117 Championship matches were 7 Home riders versus 7 Away riders (IE NO Rider Replacement and NO Guest riders)

SINCE THEN (63 MATCHES LATER) ONLY 2 (TWO) MATCHES DID NOT CONTAIN RIDER REPLACEMENT AND/OR GUESTS.

Yep, the totals for the season stand at only 27 out of 180.

Whilst acknowledging that some form of coverage for injury is unfortunately required in our dangerous sport here's hoping that something can be dragged kicking and screaming from the AGM which will stop this constant Home Select v. Away Select joke that we have had inflicted on us this year.

• Like 1

As the season approached the tickly bit , a raft of rearranged fixtures meant fixture clashes resulted in the inevitable " select " sides being inflicted upon us . Fixed race nights for the top league has to happen .