British Speedway Forum
Midland Red

Craig Cook, Since Swc

It seems that his own battle with his "nerves" is a very difficult one to win ( as it is for many people in many walks of life ). I hope he seeks professional help with this as his talent on the bike is undeniable, when he is fully in control of his state of mind. This is one of the most difficult aspects of being fully competitive. Once you believe you are going to lose, you invariably will. Once you believe you cannot win, you probably can't.

Be nice to think all the peeps who are going to post on this thread are going to offer; support, encouragement and their desire to see him succeed rather than kick him. He really does have a positive attitude and is passionate about winning and at least he feels a sense of responsibility when it doesn't work out. He's not perfect and a few racing/adrenaline fuelled comments or actions should not be taken too far out of context. In the typical British way though, as he's on the way up no doubt there will be some out there who will want to knock him down.

Just saying and just pre-empting the next public hanging

• Like 6

Be nice to think all the peeps who are going to post on this thread are going to offer; support, encouragement and their desire to see him succeed rather than kick him. He really does have a positive attitude and is passionate about winning and at least he feels a sense of responsibility when it doesn't work out. He's not perfect and a few racing/adrenaline fuelled comments or actions should not be taken too far out of context. In the typical British way though, as he's on the way up no doubt there will be some out there who will want to knock him down.

Just saying and just pre-empting the next public hanging

ECHO that. Cannot say that I really know him but had two long chats before and after Cardiff. He is passionate about his speedway but possibly puts too much pressure on himself but let's remember his performances in the British Final and qualifying for the GP Challenge. As Whisperer states, time to support not crucify.

• Like 5

Just to add - I'm not knocking Cook by asking the question

I'm asking just what has happened to him, as PR says, post-GP Challenge and British Final

From the outside, all I could see were low scores and meeting withdrawals

I know a bit about mental pressures from my own experience and I would not mock anyone in such a place

• Like 2

He needs a sports psychiatrist 100%, he puts way to much pressure on himself, and he isn't a guy that can really handle pressure lately. Years ago when he rode for Edinburgh you could count on 1 hand the amount of heat 15 must wins that he lost, so what's gone wrong.

As someone says we need to support him now.

I do have conflicting interests though because as a belle vue fan I'm thinking get your bloody act together, your going to cost us the league with these withdrawals, getting into fights with officials etc but as a massive cookie fan which I am, I will give him 100% my full backing to come out of this a better rider and a better man.

Please seek some help Craig as you have tremendous talent and the heart of a lion to go with it.

Edited by Phil The Ace
  • Like 3

Considering whats just been said, is it right for him to have added pressure of being captain not only of Bv but also Team GB.

Not an onerous task, being captain of a speedway team

Being national captain of your sport is enormous pressure, wether it be football, speedway,volleyball etc

• Like 1

Considering whats just been said, is it right for him to have added pressure of being captain not only of Bv but also Team GB.

For Belle Vue he's an excellent captain.

His enthusiasm and passion for Belle Vue is undeniable and whether he score 0 or 15 he adds to the other 6 riders.

For GB the choice of captain (in hindsight) should have been Harris but at the end of the day, GB just wasn't good enough and whoever was captain wouldn't of made a diffence to the result.

You don't win two GP qualifiers if you're not of a good enough standard to win the GP qualifier final and make the GPs. So Cook clearly has "it" but it all seems to have gone wrong since the SWC. I just hope he can pull it all together and have a blinder of a meeting next weekend and qualify for the GP series.

C'mon Craig, it's one meeting. You CAN do it!

Edited by SCB

Support Cookie 100%, I hope he is getting the relevant help required ......

Support Cookie 100%, I hope he is getting the relevant help required ......

What exactly is his problem,he said old back injury but has returned since and has started pulling out meetings,is he injured or what.