British Speedway Forum
Argos

Holders Crime V Cooks Crime

What is the general opinion of which is the more serious Holders refusing to ride or Cook assaulting a Licensed official? If you think it's Cooks (which I think is by far) be very interesting to see what punishment Cook gets, will it be more than a 9 month ban + £3000 fine

What is the general opinion of which is the more serious Holders refusing to ride or Cook assaulting a Licensed official? If you think it's Cooks (which I think is by far) be very interesting to see what punishment Cook gets, will it be more than a 9 month ban + £3000 fine

Are you really this short of something to do?

• Like 7

Holders actions affected a speedway club and all its fans,

Cooks affected one bloke.

you need to think of the victims ;)

Edited by ruffdiamond
  • Like 2

Cook hasn't been charged with anything as of yet. If he is charged and found guilty it would no doubt be seson ending. Perhaps talks are going on behind the scenes to hush it up.

Probably end up reported as a slight scuffle, a little misunderstanding and both parties shook hands. Cook to be warned about future conduct blar de blar de blar.

Edited by Steve Shovlar

Cook hasn't been charged with anything as of yet. If he is charged and found guilty it would no doubt be seson ending. Perhaps talks are going on behind the scenes to hush it up.

Probably end up reported as a slight scuffle, a little misunderstanding and both parties shook hands. Cook to be warned about future conduct blar de blar de blar.

I do hope you are right

Holders actions affected a speedway club and all its fans,

Cooks affected one bloke.

you need to think of the victims ;)

I feel that Cook's actions affected more than one bloke! It is only a step away from challenging a referee and striking him / her. Cook should be punished but not on such a serious level. A 14 day ban and £1,000 ( or the match fee ) sounds about right. After all a promoter was thrown out of the sport for something similar ( but more prolonged ).

• Like 1

Wasn't aware Cook had been found guilty of anything. Read two different versions of the alleged incident but not seen anything about a decision.

• Like 3

Surely he can only be charged if the person he hit reports him, if he and the person have shook hands made up etc. that's the end of it, But if he slagged the whole of British speedway off on twitter for the whole world to see that's different, I feel Holders punishment is more about his Childish reaction on Social media.

Surely he can only be charged if the person he hit reports him, if he and the person have shook hands made up etc. that's the end of it, But if he slagged the whole of British speedway off on twitter for the whole world to see that's different, I feel Holders punishment is more about his Childish reaction on Social media.

I'm not sure I agree with that. How 'public' was the incident? How many spectators witnessed it? Such actions bring speedway into disrepute and assaulting an official usually brings a significant penalty across a range of different sports. For instance, a footballer who strikes an opponent receives a 'violent conduct ban' of several matches but one who strikes an official is looking at very serious downtime. What Cook did should not be 'swept under the carpet' notwithstanding any apology given.

• Like 3

Holder's actions, as reported, relate to his contractual obligations, so are covered by civil law, not criminal law. Cook's actions, as reported, would be covered by criminal law if anyone decided to bring a charge. The two matters are therefore different and Holder's actions cannot be described as a crime. Cook's actions cannot be described as a crime unless the police charge him. If the speedway authorities decide to take action it would have to be on the basis that a code of conduct has been breached.

I would like to know what crime has been committed in either case.

have either of them been arrested?

has the verdict of what happened on Sunday been announced?

if not them you are jumping the gun on Cooke being guilty of anything

As for Holder he wasn't the first rider not to want to ride when others did, however in 50 years of watching speedway he is the first one I can remember getting a nine month ban for it

I would like to know what crime has been committed in either case.

have either of them been arrested?

has the verdict of what happened on Sunday been announced?

if not them you are jumping the gun on Cooke being guilty of anything

As for Holder he wasn't the first rider not to want to ride when others did, however in 50 years of watching speedway he is the first one I can remember getting a nine month ban for it

none have been arrested for their misdemeanors, but this is the 'BSF courts', where everyone can have their say ;)

Cook seems capable of getting away with anything, must have friends in the right places.

What has Cook got away with.