British Speedway Forum
Fred5

Rebels V Lions Mon 14th Aug

Umm, how about hefty subscriptions?

Just think how much subscription would be without advertising. :shock:

there again, BBC doesnt show adverts at all, and look how people grumble about having to pay £144 pa for a licence!

• Like 1

Great honest post, agree totally with you

What rubbish, at least the management made every effort to encourage people to attend.

• Like 4

I thoroughly enjoyed it , mainly because Scott Nicholls rode so well , just like the rider of a few years back , well done Scott glad to see you have still got it ..

Every time I've seen him ride this year he's looked class.

Would love to have him in my team. Proper team rider.

Poor attendance? Coming from someone who was there it was an ok attendance and one I'm sure would have been a lot bigger had we not had the amount of rain before hand had been pelting down from around 4 ish onwards. I was convinced myself it was going to be called off. Track was fantastic considering aswell. Credit to the Lions they fought back but annoyed that we let it slip.

• Like 1

Very entertaining match I thought last night with some good racing. Highlights for me were MOM Charles Wright, that's seven wins out of eight starts against the Lions in the last two home matches. For the Lions , Riss was always in the mix especially when the conditions changed. The rain definitely gave the Lions the edge as the Rebels seem to lose their way at the end. Josh was clearly carrying an injury but he still weighed in with two good wins. Good stuff also from Heeps and Kerr, with Pat slowly getting quicker. I was disappointed he didn't win heat 14, against three reserves but fair play to Newman who stuck it in the dirt and went for it in awful conditions. A 4-2 there would have meant three points. Lawson 's form of late is a bit worrying , he replaced Tungate who was only scoring fours and fives, sound familiar. He did look very slow I thought, hopefully just machinery probs on the night. Starke was always going to be a problem good to see him again , also Josh who was a great guest for us last season. Nicholls and King had their moments but I think aided by the injury to Josh and the indifferent form of Lawson. Wrighty against them two in 15 would have been good. A mention for Bewley, one for the future but big boots to fill for Allen who would have scored more than one.

• Like 3

How on earth does Jim Lynch keep his job ??? he hasn't got a clue....he'll be on the panel at the BSPA next!

BSPA management chairman.

Very entertaining match I thought last night with some good racing. Highlights for me were MOM Charles Wright, that's seven wins out of eight starts against the Lions in the last two home matches. For the Lions , Riss was always in the mix especially when the conditions changed. The rain definitely gave the Lions the edge as the Rebels seem to lose their way at the end. Josh was clearly carrying an injury but he still weighed in with two good wins. Good stuff also from Heeps and Kerr, with Pat slowly getting quicker. I was disappointed he didn't win heat 14, against three reserves but fair play to Newman who stuck it in the dirt and went for it in awful conditions. A 4-2 there would have meant three points. Lawson 's form of late is a bit worrying , he replaced Tungate who was only scoring fours and fives, sound familiar. He did look very slow I thought, hopefully just machinery probs on the night. Starke was always going to be a problem good to see him again , also Josh who was a great guest for us last season. Nicholls and King had their moments but I think aided by the injury to Josh and the indifferent form of Lawson. Wrighty against them two in 15 would have been good. A mention for Bewley, one for the future but big boots to fill for Allen who would have scored more than one.

Lawson had 5 meetings in 6 days. Not surprising if he was down on power

Lawson had 5 meetings in 6 days. Not surprising if he was down on power

Thursday and Friday as well this week

Exactly, time-wise that was one of the slickest run British league tv meetings I've ever seen. Obviously weather was a factor beforehand but the track was well prepared and it provided some good racing in the latter stages, all in all Somerset comes across as a well run club, there's nothing to dislike about them.

Just think how much subscription would be without advertising. :shock:

there again, BBC doesnt show adverts at all, and look how people grumble about having to pay £144 pa for a licence!

I am a BT customer so get BT Sport for £5 a month. All the speedway plus football and, this winter, the Ashes. Cheap I reckon.

Edited by Happy Hunter
  • Like 1

I'm at Bristol Airport. Dry, sun trying to get through, but muggy.

Were you standing beside Dick Barrie last night !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!oops sorry forgot.!

What was Lynch waiting for exactly ? Its not as if he had a Doyle or Lindgren to use in the next few heats :o

Not using the b/w is equal to betting on the opponents to win heats. Maybe Jim had already put a crafty tenner on that heat's outcome.
  • Like 1

What rubbish, at least the management made every effort to encourage people to attend.

i think somerset is a smashing club to follow meeting all over by nine oclock . the meeting was on the move all the time

• Like 5

Poor attendance? Coming from someone who was there it was an ok attendance and one I'm sure would have been a lot bigger had we not had the amount of rain before hand had been pelting down from around 4 ish onwards. I was convinced myself it was going to be called off. Track was fantastic considering aswell. Credit to the Lions they fought back but annoyed that we let it slip.

I thought that the attendance looked o.k. It was certainly not less than the attendance for the previous time the Lions rode at the OTA which I had the misfortune to attend!

Racing started about 7:45 and 14 heats were over by 9:05.....thats a pretty slick run meeting by todays standards.

Loads of moans when a meeting takes well over 2 hours, and moans when it done in 1hour 20min.

And I expect BT (or anyone) to have adverts, what do you think pays for the televised speedway other then companies paying to advertise during a program.

You are missing the point !!! I am talking from a spectator at the event point of view and meetings go far better without television coverage !!! I have been around longer than commercial television and I know exactly how it works from a financial angle, I don't need a lesson from you thank you !!!