British Speedway Forum
Star Lady

Dangerous Machines Or Dangerous Tracks.

Every time riders complain about that tracks are dangerous we get the comments that modern machines are unpredictable and can buck an rear. Some of those comments come from well qualified people i.e. Kelvin Tatum amongst others. That being so why don't riders complain about the modern bikes? Surely if the bikes are unpredictable they are as dangerous as badly prepared tracks. It's not just UK tracks, the comments come during GPs as well.

Or is it the "he's got a shiny new toy and I want one syndrome"?

It's something that has puzzled me for some time. I'm all for rider safety and this seems to be an area that everyone ignores.

Edited by Star Lady
  • Like 2

I had the exact same thought the other day.

Tracks have been the same for decades apart from the addition of the air fence yet riders fanny about with bikes then want the track changing?

I'm awaiting the day footballers ask for a shorter pitch as running the full length is too knackering.

• Like 1

The fact is that the majority of tracks can't be significantly changed or replaced, so the only answer is to change the bikes. Slower bikes with better tyres would be safer. The silencers are another thing that needs looking at, they are better than a few years ago but there's still room for improvement. The sport here seems that it would rather go bankrupt than introduce radical changes to reduce costs and aid safety, all to allow riders to use the same equipment as GP riders and those who ride in wealthier leagues. If we are going to continue with a two league set-up, maybe the top league could continue as now and the lower one introduce something different, safer and cheaper? Personally I'd prefer to see us going for a cheaper and safer option, even though it will upset some riders and possibly drive some away initially.

• Like 5

Does it have to be either? Can it not be both? The bikes' engines and silencers are what they are but that doesn't that the tracks sometimes also cannot be blamed.

Does it have to be either? Can it not be both? The bikes' engines and silencers are what they are but that doesn't that the tracks sometimes also cannot be blamed.

Mostly the Bikes though.

You are asking Riders to perform on 1928 Tracks, in some cases, on 'Rocket Ships' compared to the Bikes of years ago.

There are far more injuries these days than ever I can remember. Most of them caused by the Bikes.

We need to go back a bit and use Bikes that are more compatible to the Tracks we have today.

Two Valve Uprights could be the answer.

Awaits flak.

• Like 3

Awaits flak.

No flak from me. I'd rather see riders demonstrate their riding skills than a pilot trying to control a rocket ship.

• Like 4

No flak from me. I'd rather see riders demonstrate their riding skills than a pilot trying to control a rocket ship.

Yeah because that doesn't take any skill? :unsure:

Yeah because that doesn't take any skill? :unsure:

It's a different type of skill. It tests split second reactions and the expensive skill of the tuner.

I prefer the other type of skill based purely on riding ability but each to their own.

• Like 2

As I said elsewhere, they would have my sympathy if they complained about unsafe situations across the board The fact that most riders have lined up against guys they knew were worse for wear because of alcohol or drug consumption lessens their case.They don't want to rock the boat when one of their mates is blotto.....

• Like 3

It's a different type of skill. It tests split second reactions and the expensive skill of the tuner.

I prefer the other type of skill based purely on riding ability but each to their own.

Speedway has always been about split second reactions. Can you cope with that revelation?

Speedway has always been about split second reactions. Can you cope with that revelation?

As I've watched it for 50+ years now....let me think.....can't remember Olle Nygren having super tuners nor Ove Fundin but by god they had fantastic riding skills

• Like 5

Increased torque = quicker starts but also = a lot more lifting in the corners on grippy tracks

Increased bhp / revs = faster top speeds but also means less time to react to trouble

Big sweeping tracks without a lot of shale are an answer to both of the above.

Pay your money, and take your choice.

• Like 2

As I've watched it for 50+ years now....let me think.....can't remember Olle Nygren having super tuners nor Ove Fundin but by god they had fantastic riding skills

Can't stop progress, everything has got faster, men have a need for speed, some women too lol

• Like 1

Hancock said it all in SS British track are not up to modern day machinery,but it will fall on deaf ears as usual,fans having being saying the same thing for th last few years.

• Like 1

Hancock said it all in SS British track are not up to modern day machinery,but it will fall on deaf ears as usual,fans having being saying the same thing for th last few years.

that's ok then, let's close them all!!!

The tracks are what they are, they can't all be like NSS or bowling balls like Poland and Sweden