British Speedway Forum
Star Lady

Dangerous Machines Or Dangerous Tracks.

It was noticeable after seeing laydowns for the first time how riders sat forward almost hugging the fuel tank.

The upright style was to sit back towards the rear wheel so the power must be far less.

No less a luminary than Barry Briggs, has castigated 'Lay Downs'. He reckons they are dangerous and I agree with him.

• Like 1

No less a luminary than Barry Briggs, has castigated 'Lay Downs'. He reckons they are dangerous and I agree with him.

The power used to be a lot less.According to a riders Dad I spoke to a few days ago,it was the silencers that made a big difference.No probs for the riders hugging the white line,but not good if in the dirt.

Don't ask who.

I actually think the concept of 4 riders 4 laps is as good as its ever been even in Britain it's just the absolute b***ocks regarding rules that turns the sport into a laughing stock. If anything the riders today are as skilful if not better than riders of the past

Why?

Why?

Because they create more wheelspin, so if you suddenly hit any grip they take off.

• Like 1

I actually think the concept of 4 riders 4 laps is as good as its ever been even in Britain it's just the absolute b***ocks regarding rules that turns the sport into a laughing stock. If anything the riders today are as skilful if not better than riders of the past

I always find it difficult comparing speedway as it was and today.

Bikes were very different and track surfaces were much heavier requiring different techniques to the present day.

Riders have always been a skilful breed going way back to the pioneering days it's just that tracks and bikes have changed over time and riders have learnt to adapt and develop depending on same.