Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Steve Shovlar

Promoters Conference. Why So Late? And Other Thoughts.

So it does appear that the '2 fixed race night' proposal for the Premiership in 2018 is a confirmed item on the AGM agenda at the end of this season.

This was proposed 3 years ago to give those clubs that rent/share their facilities ample time to re-negotiate their speedway usage with their landlords!!

With Swindon and now Poole firmly in favour of the move - partially in the hope of attracting some of the 'top' riders back to UK racing - it'll be very interesting to see what is finally agreed.

At Poole, greyhounds take place on Tuesdays, Saturdays and Sundays so any other 2 nights should suit speedway. Monday/Wednesday or Monday/Thursday would be my guess - assuming there is still the chance of Monday TV coverage?!

So it does appear that the '2 fixed race night' proposal for the Premiership in 2018 is a confirmed item on the AGM agenda at the end of this season.

This was proposed 3 years ago to give those clubs that rent/share their facilities ample time to re-negotiate their speedway usage with their landlords!!

With Swindon and now Poole firmly in favour of the move - partially in the hope of attracting some of the 'top' riders back to UK racing - it'll be very interesting to see what is finally agreed.

At Poole, greyhounds take place on Tuesdays, Saturdays and Sundays so any other 2 nights should suit speedway. Monday/Wednesday or Monday/Thursday would be my guess - assuming there is still the chance of Monday TV coverage?!

Cant see many top rider doing Poland on a Sunday, back to the UK for Monday and Sweden on a Tuesday.

Wednesday and Thursday are the best 2 days to try and get the better riders

• Like 1

Cant see many top rider doing Poland on a Sunday, back to the UK for Monday and Sweden on a Tuesday.

Freddie has done it for years

Freddie has done it for years

I know he has but some riders handle that sort of schedule better than others.

Its why in my post i put i cant see 'many top riders' coming back to ride here if it was Monday night as a regular night

I know he has but some riders handle that sort of schedule better than others.

Its why in my post i put i cant see 'many top riders' coming back to ride here if it was Monday night as a regular night

Especially when you consider the state of some of the tracks, the need for extra equipment and the likely pay rates.

You're assuming that Sweden is going to be exactly the same ie Tuesdays, same teams and similar money?! NOT A CHANCE OF ALL 3 OF THOSE!!

There is already talk of only ONE Swedish league. What happens if they decide they can only afford one league of Allskensvan standard and decide to run on Thursdays - just saying?!