Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Steve Shovlar

Promoters Conference. Why So Late? And Other Thoughts.

Poland Sunday. Sweden Tuesday

Monday is a no no for top league British Speedway... getting a top rider to agree to Sun mon tues for home matches is almost impossible

Poland might not be sticking to Sundays only, there have been quite a few midweek meetings this year and that might become a trend. As most clubs can't really afford a "top" rider, why bother?

Poland might not be sticking to Sundays only, there have been quite a few midweek meetings this year and that might become a trend. As most clubs can't really afford a "top" rider, why bother?

We need to rebuild British speedway, I have my doubts about fixed race nights, I wouldn't want to see any club forced to ride regularly on a night which was less commercially viable for that club or, worse, a club forced out because they couldn't race on the chosen night(s).

However, if we do go down that road we need to choose nights which will be attractive to the top riders when hopefully, British speedway has recovered and is able to attract them.

Poland Sunday. Sweden Tuesday

Monday is a no no for top league British Speedway... getting a top rider to agree to Sun mon tues for home matches is almost impossible

It's not.

Freddie never misses a match for Wolves, nor Jacob.

Tai never had an issue albeit for a week of tiredness back in 2014.

Monday has never been an issue.

Zagar rode Mondays for the Aces before they moved too.

Monday is a more than viable option.

Nice intelligent comment to add to the debate. Perhaps it's better for you to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

It's never stopped you!

• Like 1

It's not.

Tai never had an issue albeit for a week of tiredness back in 2014.

Monday has never been an issue.

Zagar rode Mondays for the Aces before they moved too.

Monday is a more than viable option.

Belle Vue said on more than one occasion that it was difficult to sign riders who raced in Poland and Sweden because they were reluctant to ride in the UK on a Monday and I recall Peter Adams saying the same thing. There will always be some riders willing to do so but it is easy to understand why it doesn't appeal to many.

Belle Vue said on more than one occasion that it was difficult to sign riders who raced in Poland and Sweden because they were reluctant to ride in the UK on a Monday and I recall Peter Adams saying the same thing. There will always be some riders willing to do so but it is easy to understand why it doesn't appeal to many.

Maybe, maybe not.

Personally it isn't the Monday that's the issue. Hardly any top boys want to come here anymore because of A) too many different race nights B) too many meetings.

No one night is better than another under the current structure IMHO.

Plus I doubt British speedway will change to assist more riders coming over, mores the pity.

It's not.

I could have sworn Thorsell picked his Polish club over Wolverhampton just a few weeks ago.

Why stop polish riders riding over here? We need our riders to ride over there to improve.

Maybe stabilise our top league. Substantially weaken our 2nd tier to the point where the conversion rate is 1/2 again and have our 3rd tier as a armature league like it used to be

Then top championship riders will become available and British riders will fill team positions from the conference league.

The weaker 2nd league will mean less riders of use to the top league in terms of double up. Probably only 2 positions really. More armature riders will get team positions in the cl too what should in theory bring more riders on.

the top league should always have priority over double up riders because that's the flagship league in this country. Anything less than that is unprofessional .

I could have sworn Thorsell picked his Polish club over Wolverhampton just a few weeks ago.

Read it how you like. His British club had priority, the Poles completely ignored that.

At least the BSPA ensured that his British club weren't penalised.

Read it how you like. His British club had priority, the Poles completely ignored that.

At least the BSPA ensured that his British club weren't penalised.

So surely SS is right that Thorssel prioritised Poland over the UK

So surely SS is right that Thorssel prioritised Poland over the UK

He didn't have a choice did he??

None of the riders will go against the Polish authorities. And it makes no difference if the club's do either. They take no notice.

I see Jack Holder is regularly missing meetings for Peterborough despite Poole saying they refused to give him permission. Poland will have first call on him next year that's for sure.

Love the way that "Danny Connor" wants to set out his idea of how Speedway should be set up in U.K. Reckons that the 3rd tier should be

amateur "Like it used to be ". Well I'm sure that Jon Cook and all the other 3rd tier promoters might have other ideas. Since the early days of the

Conference League about 17 years ago ( educated guess), the league has moved on dramatically and no longer is the playground for Wobblies.

We have top professionals like Paul Hurry, Steve Boxall and Adam Roynon, among many others doing their business in the National League.

We still have lots of new boys, some up to scratch, some not, but all getting an opportunity not available in the upper leagues and making the 3rd

tier a highly entertaining commodity. I have been a fairly new regular N.L. fan this year after Lakeside dropped down and I have been far from

disappointed. In previous years I used to attend the odd N.L. match, mostly at Rye House and some at Kent and was always entertained then even

when I didn't care who won. From my personal point of view, whatever the Upper leagues get into in the future, I hope they leave the National League

alone to carry on doing what it does so well.....

• Like 1

The top 2 leagues don't have enough riders to go round though. If you weaken it then maybe some of the professional 3rd teams may step up. A few more 2nd teams may run teams to bring riders on. The next crop of youths I have seen have been anything but wobblers. My nl team folded because of the league becoming too professional. It is a problem because 7 riders missed out . Those teams step up then they will be replaced with 2nd teams. I too like nl racing but there is a bigger picture

Clearly the league structure and team rules have already been dicussed/mapped out/decided as riders are already being signed for 2018.

Love the way that "Danny Connor" wants to set out his idea of how Speedway should be set up in U.K. Reckons that the 3rd tier should be

amateur "Like it used to be ". Well I'm sure that Jon Cook and all the other 3rd tier promoters might have other ideas. Since the early days of the

Conference League about 17 years ago ( educated guess), the league has moved on dramatically and no longer is the playground for Wobblies.

We have top professionals like Paul Hurry, Steve Boxall and Adam Roynon, among many others doing their business in the National League.

We still have lots of new boys, some up to scratch, some not, but all getting an opportunity not available in the upper leagues and making the 3rd

tier a highly entertaining commodity. I have been a fairly new regular N.L. fan this year after Lakeside dropped down and I have been far from

disappointed. In previous years I used to attend the odd N.L. match, mostly at Rye House and some at Kent and was always entertained then even

when I didn't care who won. From my personal point of view, whatever the Upper leagues get into in the future, I hope they leave the National League

alone to carry on doing what it does so well.....

Top tier already is