Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
PHILIPRISING

Pick A Dane

Is the GP really that strong this year? I keep reading this, but I'm not so sure. It's certainly more even, and maybe stronger at the bottom end than some years, but I'm not convinced it's so strong as in the past.

Is Doyle better than Crump? Is Janowski better than Gollob? Lindgren better than Rickardsson? Pedersen a few years back was better than any Dane in this year's competition. Woffinden now not quite as strong as Woffinden a couple of years ago.

A good, even competition though.

If the Danes need a wildcard I'd go for Nicki if fit.

Maybe not better riders,but there are certainly more riders at the same level as in previous years which makes for cutthroat racing which we have seen a lot of this season.Best series for along time IMO .

Is the GP really that strong this year? I keep reading this, but I'm not so sure. It's certainly more even, and maybe stronger at the bottom end than some years, but I'm not convinced it's so strong as in the past.

Is Doyle better than Crump? Is Janowski better than Gollob? Lindgren better than Rickardsson? Pedersen a few years back was better than any Dane in this year's competition. Woffinden now not quite as strong as Woffinden a couple of years ago.

I made no comparison with years past.

That is quite irrelevant in the context we are discussing.

The SGP has pretty much the best riders it could have at the moment.

Looking to substitute from the outside right now would not improve the field.

The qualifiers that come from the challenge may do that anyway.

• Like 1

Crump, Gollob and Rickardsson are all retired. But if you can find a time machine to bring them back from 99-2009 then please do! Otherwise we can only compare todays riders with what else is out there today and TBH, the GP series is pretty spot on.

For me Nicki and/or Puk depending on who makes top 8 and through the GP qualifier.

Puks not having a great year but do you honestly think when he's up at tapes, "well this is a last"? You don't, he can still win any race.

Maybe not better riders,but there are certainly more riders at the same level as in previous years which makes for cutthroat racing *

which we have seen a lot of this season.Best series for along time IMO .

I agree with this. Crump, T-rick and Gollob might haven been better then today's top riders but like you say, the SGP have a more even standard

this season. All rider have a good chance of winning a GP round and they aren't really "fillers" like many riders have been previous seasons.

IF you had to hand a wild card to a Danish rider for the 2018 SGP series, who would it be? On Polish league form, which is probably as good a guide as any, then Leon Madsen might be the man.

I think you mean pick the Dane's .

Denmark like Sweden has always been afforded 2 permanent riders in the GP field since it was revamped to a 15 rider format plus 1 wildcard

Do the Dane's warrant 2 picks ?

• Like 1

Madsen will be 29 in a few weeks.If he doesn't manage to get through the GP Challenge that is quite an age to have never made it through on his own talent.And also quite an advanced age to recieve a first wild card.Jagus was older,but did manage to qualify...

I think you mean pick the Dane's .

Denmark like Sweden has always been afforded 2 permanent riders in the GP field since it was revamped to a 15 rider format plus 1 wildcard

Do the Dane's warrant 2 picks ?

Simple answer is no they don't warrant two picks. Maybe they will get two, of lindback for example makes top 8 then maybe they would give them to Greg holder and two Danes? But would be rough on zagar/vaculik if they finished top 10 and didn't get one. Has a rider ever finished top10 in recent times and not been given a wildcard?

This year especially, it would be tough on a rider finishing 9th or 10th in the GP's and not get a wild card. Standard this year is very high.

Last year Madson was looking very good, what I seen so far in the SEC is not so good, doesnt seem to have the spirit in him to mix it in a tough meeting like the present crop of GP riders are doing.

Madsen in the SEC has been awful. Iversen easily, he scores 6-8 every GP. He won Cardiff two years ago, I'm sure he won a GP last year. The stupid Polish federation rule cutting down his schedule hasn't helped him. He seems like a rider that needs to ride as often as possible to stay on form. 7 consecutive years of being Danish Champion.

Guest GiveusaB

Amazing how the Danes have diminished over recent years......

If fit and able/willing.....I'd pick NP every day of the week. But I cant see him riding at GP level again?

So I'd go for NKI......

Very difficult to say who's going to be on form NEXT season. I'd say NO ONE would have even thought Magic would have been the top Polish rider in this years GP let alone leading the series with 60% of the season gone.

NKI probably worth being in the series. Always in the mix. Is he top 8 in the world. Not anymore. Top 15, Id say yes. Outside of him Id say MJJ is the most worth Dane. Age on his side too.

By saying strong i would say the riders may not be as good as the years ago but there arent really any weak links in the 15 riders like there has been in the past.

Any of the riders are capable of winning a GP i couldnt say that was true years ago.

NEITHER pulling up any grass in the SGP right now

Neither pulling any Trees you mean.