British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TheReturn

Sgp Wildcards 2018

I have been commenting on my thoughts about Hancock being handed a wildcard elsewhere. But seeing that Monster geezer in the pits last night, and the fact Monster sponsor the SGP. I have a question about the wildcard picks for 2018. Who actually decides? Is it one individual or is there a panel of executives from within the SGP?

Most importantly with at least two of the Monster riders likely to miss the cut, I have to ask. Monster won't have any say or influence on picks will they?

IT is a joint decision between the FIM (currently Armando Castagna) and BSI. Believe it or not Monster are not consulted.

Thank you for the clarification Philip. If there is some debate between who to choose, who gets the final say Armando or BSI? I am just interested what protocols are used to decide.

IT is a joint decision between the FIM (currently Armando Castagna) and BSI. Believe it or not Monster are not consulted.

According to the current regulations, the riders are decided by the SGP Commission which also includes the new FIM Sports Director (Fabio Muner)* and SGP Race Director (Phil Morris).

* It might amuse you to know who was interviewed for this position.

According to the current regulations, the riders are decided by the SGP Commission which also includes the new FIM Sports Director (Fabio Muner)* and SGP Race Director (Phil Morris).

* It might amuse you to know who was interviewed for this position.

AMUSE me ...

Thank you for the clarification Philip. If there is some debate between who to choose, who gets the final say Armando or BSI? I am just interested what protocols are used to decide.

THEORECTIOCALLY the FIM have the final say

I have been commenting on my thoughts about Hancock being handed a wildcard elsewhere. But seeing that Monster geezer in the pits last night, and the fact Monster sponsor the SGP. I have a question about the wildcard picks for 2018. Who actually decides? Is it one individual or is there a panel of executives from within the SGP?

Most importantly with at least two of the Monster riders likely to miss the cut, I have to ask. Monster won't have any say or influence on picks will they?

I'd say if the series finished with standings as they are, 3 Monster riders (Hancock holder lindback) would likely get wild cards along with a dane. But I don't see that as being influenced by the sponsor.

Surely Lebedevs has to be one of the wildcard picks. Best rider outside the Grand Prix series and better than quite a few in it as well.

You can't have all the wildcards going to the riders already in the series.

How about:

1. Lindback

2. Hancock

3. Lebedevs

4. A Danish rider

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam

Surely Lebedevs has to be one of the wildcard picks. Best rider outside the Grand Prix series and better than quite a few in it as well.

You can't have all the wildcards going to the riders already in the series.

How about:

1. Lindback

2. Hancock

3. Lebedevs

4. A Danish rider

All the best

Rob

I like Lebedevs, although he's been pretty poor in Poland lately, his last 3 matches - 2pts, 6+1pts and 2pts. He's very exciting to watch though, had an amazing SWC and is leading the SEC series. However, when asked about the wildcard recently, he said he's not good enough and if they give it to him he'd have to think twice before accepting it (source: https://sportowefakty.wp.pl/zuzel/703667/andrzej-lebiediew-nie-pcha-sie-do-grand-prix-do-tego-trzeba-dorosnac)

As for a Danish rider, surely it has to be Madsen if he doesn't qualify through Challenge? He's been pretty poor in SEC so far (5pts, 3pts and 5pts), but omg what a season he's having in Poland. I had enough of Iversen, don't want to see Bjerre in GP

Hancock :nono: , give someone younger a chance, Milik or Fricke...

• Like 1

However, in the post Cardiff edition of the Star - "Dropping Hancock and Holder - huge fan favourites and members of the Monster Energy stable - could also be controversial". The mention of Monster as even a factor makes my blood boil. Sponsorship should play no part in who gets a pick. In the same article the vulnerability of Zagar and Vaculik is mentioned as they represent "two of the sports smaller nations". Hope they both qualify in Togliatti.

Holder must be vulnerable. With the possibility of a Swede and /or a Dane needing a pick is there a need for a second Aussie? Monster rider or not!

Imo, it is too early to talk/discuss wild cards. I think we should atleast wait until after the Grand Prix challenge to see what

riders who qualifies and which riders who misses out on qualification via GPCh. Then there is too many round remaining of

the SGP and allot can still happen. If Lindbäck have find his usual "half season form" then he might not need a wild card.

Ther points difference aren't huge either, only 16 p between 4th and 12tg.

• Like 1

However, in the post Cardiff edition of the Star - "Dropping Hancock and Holder - huge fan favourites and members of the Monster Energy stable - could also be controversial". The mention of Monster as even a factor makes my blood boil. Sponsorship should play no part in who gets a pick. In the same article the vulnerability of Zagar and Vaculik is mentioned as they represent "two of the sports smaller nations". Hope they both qualify in Togliatti.

Holder must be vulnerable. With the possibility of a Swede and /or a Dane needing a pick is there a need for a second Aussie? Monster rider or not!

Think it naive to think BSI haven't spoken to Monster about their riders and their wishes.....

We have had a number of rumours of riders getting a wild card because of their sponsors.Pepe and Iversen come to mind.We also had Mr Meridian Lifts who would on the odd ocassion tells us how things work behind the scenes and hw he could get a rider a wild card for a meeting at least.So you can imagine a bigger sponsor would have more power....

Regardless of whether Monster have any input or not, should Hancock wish to race next season he has pretty much the most deserving case for a wild card in the history of the GP.

• Like 5

Regardless of whether Monster have any input or not, should Hancock wish to race next season he has pretty much the most deserving case for a wild card in the history of the GP.

Well I think we have debated this to death elsewhere on another thread, I don't think we will agree. But this was more about how such a decision is arrived at, I was just interested in how the decision is actually made and by who.

Well I think we have debated this to death elsewhere on another thread, I don't think we will agree. But this was more about how such a decision is arrived at, I was just interested in how the decision is actually made and by who.

It wasn't debated at all. You didn't put forward one single reason why Hancock would not be worthy of a wildcard other than it was 'fact' that he wasn't going to be World Champion this year... which of course is not true and neither is it any reason for not giving a wildcard.

Hancock is a four time World Champion, was in the top eight at the time of his injury, second in the Polish League averages and let us not forget the THIRD highest points scorer in the previous 2 GP's before his injury (25pts), only Doyle 28 and Dudek 27 had more. Janowski scored 23 in those meetings. Quite frankly if you are even suggesting that he is not worthy of a wildcard you may as well go and post in the Children's section as all your 'opinion' revolves around is riders you do or in this case don't like.

• Like 3