British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TheReturn

Sgp Wildcards 2018

Think it naive to think BSI haven't spoken to Monster about their riders and their wishes.....

We have had a number of rumours of riders getting a wild card because of their sponsors.Pepe and Iversen come to mind.We also had Mr Meridian Lifts who would on the odd ocassion tells us how things work behind the scenes and hw he could get a rider a wild card for a meeting at least.So you can imagine a bigger sponsor would have more power....

It was Phil Rising who said Monster are "not consulted". I'm not that naive to think they would not have some sort of influence - doesn't mean I like it or think that it's right. Not worth getting stressed about at the minute as until we het the qualifiers from Togliatti and the top 8 it's all guesswork.

You didn't put forward one single reason why Hancock would not be worthy of a wildcard other than it was 'fact' that he wasn't going to be World Champion this year... which of course is not true and neither is it any reason for not giving a wildcard.

I gave one very good one on the other thread beyond this seasons performance, his age. Just you are so obtuse you choose to dismiss my opinion as childish... An approach you take on the forum a little bit too frequent. Trying 'listening' to other users occasionally.

Edited by TheReturn

I think Hancock will get one and if any riders in the series deserve another one i would say Iversen.

I believe riders that have been in it a while and done well before and have won gp's should have that one opportunity as a wildcard.

If Lindgren can get them so should Iversen, Lindgren been in great form this year and Iversen could easily do the same.

Think Lindback to has shown enough to get back in, and Holder is also a past World Champ so maybe deserves one wild card to.

But i cant see them putting in all 4 from riders this season, but the field this year is arguably the best ever so it could happen. Struggling to think who is better than Zagar, Lindback, Iversen, Holder, Pawlicki, Vaculik

I gave one very good one on the other thread beyond this seasons performance, his age. Just you are so obtuse you choose to dismiss my opinion as childish... An approach you take on the forum a little bit too frequent. Trying 'listening' to other users occasionally.

I am sorry, I take it back, me saying your opinion is childish, that's an insult to most children, none of whom could come up with such a ridiculous suggestion.

"Beyond this seasons performance" you say. The performance that shows without a doubt he was at the very least a top 8 rider and having ironed out his mechanical problems was a good bet for at least a medal again?

Age has nothing to do with it. When a rider becomes 'too old' his form will deteriorate to a point where he is no longer worthy of a wildcard. Hancock has nowhere near reached that point.

So I repeat, your opinion isn't childish, it's simply garbage.

I asked you a question on the other thread, you didn't or perhaps couldn't answer it..

Name me one rider who is better than Hancock and not currently in the GP?

Edited by BWitcher

Hancock will and absolutely should be the first wild card pick for next seasons GP series. Like or loathe his record is incredible, undeniable and unlikely to ever be surpassed. No rider in the history of the GP series has deserved a wild card entry more. Whether you like the guy or not is completely irrelevant, in my opinion.

• Like 4

Name riders not currently in the GP that will be better than any of the 8 who drop out?

Name riders not currently in the GP that will be better than any of the 8 who drop out?

Your right Gavan, would be difficult. Milik must be the nearest on consistency this year and I would like to see him in..

Hancock will and absolutely should be the first wild card pick for next seasons GP series. Like or loathe his record is incredible, undeniable and

unlikely to ever be surpassed. No rider in the history of the GP series has deserved a wild card entry more. Whether you like the guy or not is completely irrelevant, in my opinion.

That is a very good reason to leave him out. He had a very good run but it should be over now. It's time to go separate ways and let the young guns show the way to the future.

He might do another year or two seasons then in the leagues before he retires. We also don't know how his shoulder injury will affect him in the future but there is no

way that BSI/FIM would dare to leave him out though.

For me it's not about who is most worthy but who would bring most entertainment and that is most definitely not Greg. He relies too much on his gating nowadays.

That is a very good reason to leave him out. He had a very good run but it should be over now. It's time to go separate ways and let the young guns show the way to the future.

He might do another year or two seasons then in the leagues before he retires. We also don't know how his shoulder injury will affect him in the future but there is no

way that BSI/FIM would dare to leave him out though.

For me it's not about who is most worthy but who would bring most entertainment and that is most definitely not Greg. He relies too much on his gating nowadays.

The younger guys will show the way to the future, when they can knock Hancock out of the worlds top 8 (without him being injured).

• Like 1

The younger guys will show the way to the future, when they can knock Hancock out of the worlds top 8 (without him being injured).

Completely agree.

Whether you like Greg or not, surely he has to be a wildcard for next year.

His GP record:

1995-2000: Automatic qualifier for next year.

2001: Won the GP Challenge.

2002-2016: Automatic qualifier for next year.

Once the other riders have proven they can knock Greg out of the top eight over the course of a full season, then it's time to discuss whether his Grand Prix days are behind him. In the meantime, I think he fully deserves his first-ever wildcard entry to the series.

All the best

Rob

• Like 3

Lebedevs & Milik should get wildcards if they don't qualify through the qualifiers, they're the most entertaining riders in the SEC. Plus a Dane, Iversen isn't having a good year but still mixes it.

Could you explain why age is an issue, given that he has won three world championships while in his 40s?

Not a stand out individual, though you could argue on form this season that the likes of milik lebedebs a laguta and a few others are better than say holder and pederssn

But I can definitely see a scenario where the 4 wild cards are given to riders in the series this year. In fact it would be possible to have the exact same line up next year if the likes of pawlicki zagar and vaculik took top 3 in the challenge, though I'd say that's unlikely.

After the challenge has now passed and with the injuries everyone has got then its a difficult position for choosing wildcards.

Hancock

Holder

Pedersen

All former world champions and 2 are injured , this means that maybe for the service they have given they will be 3 of the wild cards.

I also feel Iversen with his recent record of 3rd , 11th (missed last 3 gp's through injury) and 8th deserves another go. Look how Lindgren has done when many thought him finished.

Others that could come into contention are Lindback , Zager and Pawlicki.

Depends which way the organisers go but i think it will be a disgrace if Hancock doesnt get one.

My opinion is it will be Hancock , Holder, Iversen, Lindback (if he misses out)

If Lindback gets in then i can see Pawlicki being chose over Nicki P

No way will Pawlicki get one with 4 poles already in the series imo.

Hancock plus a Dane plus 9th place imo are nailed on.

Then one of lindback/holder/10th (not if a pole)/extra Dane