British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TheReturn

Sgp Wildcards 2018

Not keen on the choice of Holder - would have preferred Iversen - but at least the Monster sponsored rider didn't get in at the expense of Vaculik, as that would have been truly unfair.

GP reserves are picked, nothing to do with challenge results anymore. Maybe for 2-4 years now.

Lots of different info doing the rounds on who makes the picks. I dont know for certain anymore, but I thought the SGP commission makes the call and my info said it had Castagna, Gombeaud ( former ccp co-ordinator, now head of sports) and Torben Olsen. So 2-1 in favour of FIM IF there even is a vote to be taken. If Torben Olsen says he wants something, I'd guess thats two or three votes... :lol:

THE Race Director is involved as well if my info is correct

Edited by PHILIPRISING

Can't see Holder getting anywhere near top 10 next season, this years top 9 were way clear, add in Hancock and Shamek, definitely last chance saloon, better hope monstrous Joe sorts out his equipment.

I'm against Holder getting a card as he was so poor this year but at least it gives him the chance to improve and he must know another year like 2017 won't be tolerated. He can't get 2 wild cards on the bounce for such poor performance. He never looked remotely close to winning a GP bar once.

This season his GP form was poor, his showing in his home GP of Melbourne was lacklustre. He doesn't deserve the pick and I don't see him setting the world alight next season.

They were never going to pick a novice, so not relevant either.

They could have picked quite a few names and given them the massive opportunity it is.

Some of them may have jumped at it and been real assets to the series.

Perhaps even contenders.

But they haven't done that.

I don't believe they were ever going to, either.

They've given to one if the 'in crowd'

And just because He MAY make good with the pick.

Still does not make it right that he got that 'freebie' now.

I agree with you both, dont think he deserved a Wild Card. Just saying its not that ridiculous. Just a bit of a shame and ammo for the skeptics out there

• Like 1

Maybe it's a case of once a world champion it guarantees the rider gets a wildcard in all subsequent series' until he retires from the sport.

Well thats Greg in till he is at least 60 then.

• Like 1

He never looked remotely close to winning a GP bar once.

I am just astounded he looked so disinterested in Melbourne. It was his home GP, in front of a big crowd, was he just not bothered or was it a performance knowing he was safe next season, I am not sure which.

I'm against Holder getting a card as he was so poor this year but at least it gives him the chance to improve and he must know another year like 2017 won't be tolerated.

He can't get 2 wild cards on the bounce for such poor performance. He never looked remotely close to winning a GP bar once.

Well it's not like it have happened before.... politics and sponsor demands have nothing to do with performance.

If he have another bad year and Monster wants him in, he'll get a wild card for 2019 as well.

Edited by Ghostwalker

I am just astounded he looked so disinterested in Melbourne. It was his home GP, in front of a big crowd, was he just not bothered or was it a performance knowing he was safe next season, I am not sure which.

He has been poor all season everywhere ,don't think it was anything else.Very lucky he has friends in right places.

Also, out of curiosity, anyone know How many "Monster" picks have there been since since 2012?

Was discussing this recently so had worked it out:

2002..Rune Holta, Matej Ferjan, Greg Walasek, Andreas Jonsson, Sebastian Ulamek, Krzysztof Cegielski
2003..Rune Holta, Nicki Pedersen, Scott Nicholls, Andreas Jonsson, Todd Wiltshire, Krzysztof Cegielski
2004..Mark Loram, Lukas Dryml, Mikael Max, Lee Richardson, Hans Andersen, Jarek Hampel
2007..Chris Harris, Bjarne Pedersen, Antonio Lindback, Scott Nicholls
2008..Fredrik Lindgren, Chris Harris, Andreas Jonsson, Krzysztof Kasprzak
2009..Scott Nicholls, Fredrik Lindgren, Chris Harris, Emil Sajfutdinov
2010..Tai Woffinden, Chris Harris, Fredrik Lindgren, Hans Andersen
2011..Andreas Jonsson, Nicki Pedersen, Emil Sayfutdinov, Janusz Kolodziej
2012..Nicki Pedersen, Fredrik Lindgren, Chris Harris, Hans Andersen
2013..Tai Woffinden, Darcy Ward, Jarek Hampel, Martin Vaculik
2014..Tomasz Gollob, Fredrik Lindgren, Chris Holder, Andreas Jonsson ** (Gollob turned his down)
2015..Niels-Kristian Iversen, Michael Jepsen Jensen, Tomas H Jonasson, Troy Batchelor
2016..Andreas Jonsson, Antonio Lindback, Peter Kildemand, Jarek Hampel
2017..Matej Zagar, Nicki Pedersen, Maciej Janowski, Emil Sayfutdinov
2018..Greg Hancock, Nicki Pedersen, Chris Holder, Martin Vaculik

Not even a place on the reserve list for Davey Watt? Maybe next year!

I am sure that he will get a reserve place if he has another good Aussie season ( out of retirement ) .That is what brought him into the spotlight in 2017.

Holder was merely jet lagged and Bustered after a hard European season.

Was discussing this recently so had worked it out:

2002..Rune Holta, Matej Ferjan, Greg Walasek, Andreas Jonsson, Sebastian Ulamek, Krzysztof Cegielski
2003..Rune Holta, Nicki Pedersen, Scott Nicholls, Andreas Jonsson, Todd Wiltshire, Krzysztof Cegielski
2004..Mark Loram, Lukas Dryml, Mikael Max, Lee Richardson, Hans Andersen, Jarek Hampel
2007..Chris Harris, Bjarne Pedersen, Antonio Lindback, Scott Nicholls
2008..Fredrik Lindgren, Chris Harris, Andreas Jonsson, Krzysztof Kasprzak
2009..Scott Nicholls, Fredrik Lindgren, Chris Harris, Emil Sajfutdinov
2010..Tai Woffinden, Chris Harris, Fredrik Lindgren, Hans Andersen
2011..Andreas Jonsson, Nicki Pedersen, Emil Sayfutdinov, Janusz Kolodziej
2012..Nicki Pedersen, Fredrik Lindgren, Chris Harris, Hans Andersen
2013..Tai Woffinden, Darcy Ward, Jarek Hampel, Martin Vaculik
2014..Tomasz Gollob, Fredrik Lindgren, Chris Holder, Andreas Jonsson ** (Gollob turned his down)
2015..Niels-Kristian Iversen, Michael Jepsen Jensen, Tomas H Jonasson, Troy Batchelor
2016..Andreas Jonsson, Antonio Lindback, Peter Kildemand, Jarek Hampel
2017..Matej Zagar, Nicki Pedersen, Maciej Janowski, Emil Sayfutdinov
2018..Greg Hancock, Nicki Pedersen, Chris Holder, Martin Vaculik

Hardly any Monster Wild Cards over the years then.

Holder was merely jet lagged and Bustered after a hard European season.

He must have been jet lagged and busted all season, because he was pants all year...

• Like 1