British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TheReturn

Sgp Wildcards 2018

Well I didn't fancy Holder either, but when I recall some picks for a certain Brit then I am fine with that.

And it's just the 2nd time he's been given a Wildcard.

Lebedevs doenst want to get a pick for the next 2 years not as a wildcard nor as a reserve. It is not always a question if someone wants to be in the GP, well surely every riders is dreaming of competing in that series. It is also a question of being able to compete in the GP, both financially and physically. Woffinden said after his first season he wasn't ready for it. So did Vaculik.

Same is for Milik, he is still young, maybe they both think they still need time to be ready for it.

Edited by MunichMassive
  • Like 1

Here's a thought...

Scrap wild cards completely, ban GP riders from simultaneously entering the GP Challenge (other than series reserves), scrap the one-off wildcard at each event so we have 16 full-time GP riders. At the end of a season, or before the following season begins, the riders finishing the GP's in places 9-16 (excluding reserves who can try to qualify via the Challenge)meet the top 8 from the Challenge (none of which would be full-time GP riders) over the traditional 20 heat formula. The top 8 then become GP riders for the coming season alongside the 8 already qualified.

Or is that too simple?.

Agree staging would be a problem as under current GP schedule the meeting would need to be held Nov-March, although an indoor venue may be available. Not sure why it would be less interesting than the current Challenge though.

22894395_10155819137379730_7951839564276

Are you allowed to use my photo without my permission?

@CHR well that is something that regularly keeps being suggested.

I don't think it would work because of it having to be staged after the season.

Some / many of the riders wouldn't have done a meeting in 1-2 months which

means that they would be very rusty. Those who qualify also needs to have

enough time to find sponsors as well as sorting out their team and equipment

prior to the GP-season which sort excludes anything later than late October.

@CHR well that is something that regularly keeps being suggested.

I don't think it would work because of it having to be staged after the season.

Some / many of the riders wouldn't have done a meeting in 1-2 months which

means that they would be very rusty. Those who qualify also needs to have

enough time to find sponsors as well as sorting out their team and equipment

prior to the GP-season which sort excludes anything later than late October.

Oh well, just a thought.

Outrageous decision by WC selectors. So much for the concept of this being a competition for the worlds best riders, clearly factors other than riders form have prevailed here. Milik, in particular with a 3GP ave of 10 and Lebedevs have showed they are highly competitive against the worlds best both miss out while riders who proved this year that they aren't get the nod. Such a shame that this brilliant sport is so often undermined by a 'cowboy' mentality at administrative/management levels.

• Like 4

Here's a thought...

Scrap wild cards completely, ban GP riders from simultaneously entering the GP Challenge (other than series reserves), scrap the one-off wildcard at each event so we have 16 full-time GP riders. At the end of a season, or before the following season begins, the riders finishing the GP's in places 9-16 (excluding reserves who can try to qualify via the Challenge)meet the top 8 from the Challenge (none of which would be full-time GP riders) over the traditional 20 heat formula. The top 8 then become GP riders for the coming season alongside the 8 already qualified.

Or is that too simple?.

I think keeping 15 riders is right having a wildcard in each round who is local is great for local support.

What I would do is similar to you, where there are no wildcards but have like a SGP2 series, which is raced in the same format as the SGP over x amount of rounds, this series has 16 of the best riders who arent in the GPs each year the top 7 in the SGP2 replace the bottom 7 in the SGP and go from there.

Would be great for younger talent like Lebedevs, Milik, Drabik etc as would give them experience of the SGP and would solve the controversy of wildcards.

• Like 1

Here's a thought...

Or is that too simple?.

People often complain that there is no ambition or strategy in British speedway. The GP has both of these. Over the years BSI/IMG have taken great risks to push the GPs forward and I think wildcards are a suitable compromise in order to allow the organisers an element of commercial influence over the line-ups.

For example, imagine a British GP with no British riders. We are lucky that there are currently two full time riders in the 2018 line-up, but in the past the organisers have had to rely on wildcards in order to get any British riders into the series/meeting.

Edited by MattK
  • Like 4

Guest GiveusaB

In defence of Holder...although I don't agree with his wildcard inclusion? This year was the first time that he's finished outside the top 8 (apart from his injury season of 2013) ?

So, apart from Monster Joe picking the wildcards based on their own riders, may be his record carried some weight?

I feel for NKI, as I'd much rather watch him than Holder!

Agree staging would be a problem as under current GP schedule the meeting would need to be held Nov-March, although an indoor venue may be available. Not sure why it would be less interesting than the current Challenge though.

Are you allowed to use my photo without my permission?

Is that your photo? Or is it clone, doppelgänger or avatar?

In defence of Holder...although I don't agree with his wildcard inclusion? This year was the first time that he's finished outside the top 8 (apart from his injury season of 2013) ?

So, apart from Monster Joe picking the wildcards based on their own riders, may be his record carried some weight?

I feel for NKI, as I'd much rather watch him than Holder!

Monster Joe was on Twitter yesterday saying that he's had no part in picking the wc's. He heard them first from the FIM/SGP/BSI/IMG press release.

Monster Joe was on Twitter yesterday saying that he's had no part in picking the wc's. He heard them first from the FIM/SGP/BSI/IMG press release.

DESPITE all the conspiratory theories, I don't think Joe Parsons has any real influence these days. Might be different if Monster didn't already have Dudek, Hancock and Woffinden in the line-up.

I see Darcy has been giving his opinion about the wildcards, such a pleasant young man!

N to you m***** f****** who think @Chris_Holder23 doesn’t deserve one. 1f595-1f3fb.png keep feeding us fuel. Holder bout to have a off season like he 1/2

I can't find a follow up tweet but he does also say "Just seeing the wildcards. I believe nki is unlucky n Vaculik is lucky on them picks."

I'm not quite sure how he justifies Vaculik being lucky when he finished ahead of Holder.

Apologies for the text size in the first tweet.

Edited by Come on the Skipper
  • Like 1

Keeps being mentioned Holder has has tough time off track but been saying that for at least 2 years now. Surely at some point that excuse runs out?

• Like 3