British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TheReturn

Sgp Wildcards 2018

Is that your photo? Or is it clone, doppelgänger or avatar?

Me on a good day! :rofl:

• Like 1

The old saying that you can judge someone by the company they keep.

Cannot be more exemplified than to find that Ward has tweeted in support of Holder.

And with such eloquence.

Torben must be beeming at the PR possibilities.

Each to their own.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 1

DESPITE all the conspiratory theories, I don't think Joe Parsons has any real influence these days. Might be different if Monster didn't already have Dudek, Hancock and Woffinden in the line-up.

August 19th edition of the Star "it seems inconceivable they (Hancock and Holder) wouldn't be selected, especially with both key players for main SGP sponsor Monster Energy"

Certainly at least one other piece in the mag where it mentions the sponsorship as a likely factor in the nomination choices.

August 19th edition of the Star "it seems inconceivable they (Hancock and Holder) wouldn't be selected, especially with both key players for main SGP sponsor Monster Energy"

Certainly at least one other piece in the mag where it mentions the sponsorship as a likely factor in the nomination choices.

It's funny where people get these daft ideas from isn't it?

And then bandy them about in scurrilous magazines.

It shouldn't be allowed.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 1

It's funny where people get these daft ideas from isn't it?

And then bandy them about in scurrilous magazines.

It shouldn't be allowed.

IT'S all about opinions...

I see Darcy has been giving his opinion about the wildcards, such a pleasant young man!

N to you m***** f****** who think [/size]@Chris_Holder23 doesn’t deserve one. [/size]1f595-1f3fb.png keep feeding us fuel. Holder bout to have a off season like he 1/2[/size]

I can't find a follow up tweet but he does also say "Just seeing the wildcards. I believe nki is unlucky n Vaculik is lucky on them picks."

I'm not quite sure how he justifies Vaculik being lucky when he finished ahead of Holder.

Apologies for the text size in the first tweet.

Ward as always been a vile little moron off track. His posts are very much slanted towards riders he likes and riders he dislikes, this is another example.

But on Holder, some 24 hours later I am still yet to see any valid justification ideas from anyone for his inclusion other than the fact he's sponsored by that green crap. If he comes back to British speedway next season, based on the last few months I feel sorry for the club that gets him.

• Like 8

Monster Joe was on Twitter yesterday saying that he's had no part in picking the wc's. He heard them first from the FIM/SGP/BSI/IMG press release.

Is he the Donald Trump of the energy drinks world?You don't always want to believe what people say on Twitter!!! :rofl::rofl::P

• Like 1

Instead of wildcards... what about at the start of the following season all those riders injured and not in the top 8 go through to a a final GP challenge shoot out with the first 8 that didnt make the cut from the GP challenge the previous season... a shoot out for those final 4 places.

Maybe some sponsorship issues for those 4 that make it in terms of not having much time to plan for a GP season, but that's a far better sporting way to decide.

Edited by TheReturn

But on Holder, some 24 hours later I am still yet to see any valid justification ideas from anyone for his inclusion other than the fact he's sponsored by that green crap. If he comes back to British speedway next season, based on the last few months I feel sorry for the club that gets him.

Holder is a former World Champion who has only once before failed to qualify for the series and that was when he suffered serious injuries and missed most of the season.

I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that a former World Champion with a proven record of making the top 8 each year should be given one free pass after a poor year.

I wouldn't have shed any tears if he had been left out, but I think it's reasonably easy to argue that with the system in place and the history of who has received selections, Holder would be a likely candidate regardless of who his primary sponsor is.

• Like 3

Holder is a former World Champion who has only once before failed to qualify for the series and that was when he suffered serious injuries and missed most of the season.

I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that a former World Champion with a proven record of making the top 8 each year should be given one free pass after a poor year.

I wouldn't have shed any tears if he had been left out, but I think it's reasonably easy to argue that with the system in place and the history of who has received selections, Holder would be a likely candidate regardless of who his primary sponsor is.

He is now under pressure to perform better then this year, and if he gets into a similar situation (needing a wild card) it will be interesting whay happens. If given a wild card for 2019 then we will know the influence Monster has on the GP field.

But his form all season in the GP and leagues is patchy. It's meant to be a bloody sporting competition, we shouldn't be living off past glories to decide who gets the coveted spot. What is that saying, you're only good as your next game.

• Like 3

Is he the Donald Trump of the energy drinks world?You don't always want to believe what people say on Twitter!!! :rofl::rofl::P

I dont follow him (dont follow trump either), but so far I think he's a some what decent and sane person. Who would lose a lot if started lying publically.

Not sure if that same criteria fits trump?

Just had a look and the ninth and 10th riders from the previous year have received wildcards into both the 2017 and 2016 series.

In 2015 it was ninth and 11th (don't know what happened to Lindgren who finished 10th).

2014 was 11th, 12th and 13th however the rider who finished ninth in 2013 was offered a wildcard but dropped out (Gollob) and the rider who finished 10th (Kasprazak) was second in the qualifier.

2013 was ninth and 14th.

So it is hardly unprecedented.

Fair point, although considering the riders who missed most of the season through injury, he could easily have been 12th or 13th. Hard to believe its been a 'straight' decision with the likes of Milik and Lebedevs having good claims.

• Like 1