British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TheReturn

Sgp Wildcards 2018

No surprises with those 4, although I would've had Iversen or Kildemand ahead of Nicki.

It's a shame every rider can't be made to qualify, but there you go..

No surprises with those 4, although I would've had Iversen or Kildemand ahead of Nicki.

It's a shame every rider can't be made to qualify, but there you go..

it shouldn't be about nationality. I would have put Iversen and Kildemand both above Holder.

• Like 2

GP reserves are picked, nothing to do with challenge results anymore. Maybe for 2-4 years now.

Lots of different info doing the rounds on who makes the picks. I dont know for certain anymore, but I thought the SGP commission makes the call and my info said it had Castagna, Gombeaud ( former ccp co-ordinator, now head of sports) and Torben Olsen. So 2-1 in favour of FIM IF there even is a vote to be taken. If Torben Olsen says he wants something, I'd guess thats two or three votes... :lol:

Edited by f-s-p

Phil, do you know the thinking behind Lebedevs not even being handed one of the reserve places? It seems a bit odd.

Holder has been a somewhat lucky boy, after an extremely lacklustre season. I think he needs to make the most of this opportunity.

All the best

Rob

NO I don't.

I guess we now know why Holder's Melbourne form was lacklustre.

It wasn't lacklustre, unless lacklustre is now his usual performance.

• Like 1

I think that the top 10 are pretty much nailed-on, but they make it top 8 just to cover themselves for injuries. So that's Holder and Vacilik as good as qualified anyway.

Hancock was World Champ until last week, so was also certain to get one.

They also needed a Dane, and whoever they picked was going to cast doubts. As a 3 times champ, Nicki just about deserves it, but, as others have said, it feels like the "Last Chance Saloon" for three of them.

No point complaining about Lebedev. He never qualified so will have to try again. Maybe he would be a worthy contender, but the outrage about him not getting picked is a bit wide of the mark.

Don't the reserve places get decided by positions in the GP challenge, hence Cook being in the line-up? Lebedev wasn't even in it.

The GP Challenge has no bearing on the reserve picks, merely decides the three qualifiers to the GP line-up.

• Like 1

Its absolutely pathetic.

In an injury hit season for 3 other riders (4 if you include Lindgren) Holder still got nowhere near the top 8.

Joke decision.

And this might sound harsh but the top 8 rules are a joke too.

I'm glad Vaculik is in but what is the point of stressing how important top 8 is?

Zagar may as well not have bothered....but then again he's not a chosen one like Holder.

• Like 1

Its absolutely pathetic.

In an injury hit season for 3 other riders (4 if you include Lindgren) Holder still got nowhere near the top 8.

Joke decision.

Just had a look and the ninth and 10th riders from the previous year have received wildcards into both the 2017 and 2016 series.

In 2015 it was ninth and 11th (don't know what happened to Lindgren who finished 10th).

2014 was 11th, 12th and 13th however the rider who finished ninth in 2013 was offered a wildcard but dropped out (Gollob) and the rider who finished 10th (Kasprazak) was second in the qualifier.

2013 was ninth and 14th.

So it is hardly unprecedented.

Just had a look and the ninth and 10th riders from the previous year have received wildcards into both the 2017 and 2016 series.

In 2015 it was ninth and 11th (don't know what happened to Lindgren who finished 10th).

2014 was 11th, 12th and 13th however the rider who finished ninth in 2013 was offered a wildcard but dropped out (Gollob) and the rider who finished 10th (Kasprazak) was second in the qualifier.

2013 was ninth and 14th.

Nobody said it WAS unprecedented.

But the rest of the information given about previous years shows that it is far from the norm.

So pretty irrelevant really.

Edited by Grand Central

I wouldnt have chosen Holder but it's not like they've picked a raw novice, some reaction here a little over the top.

One thing I would say, we have no idea really how certain riders will perform next year ever after a great season. After his finish in 2012 assumed Antonio would have a killer 2013, he did nothing. Woffy the opposite, everyone expected to come 15th & he won it. Little to no one expected Kasprzak to finish 2nd in 2014, Not many of us expected Doyley to last more than one season when he qualified. Not many were happy with Magic getting in for this years series. On the flip side a lot of people though Emil;would be a minimum of top 3 this year.

In short, as displeased as some of us are (myself included) with the picks, lets wait and see how it all pans out...

• Like 2

2013 was ninth and 14th.

They should just make it Top 10 then.If Zager hadn't had his purple patch bet he would not have been picked before Holder. Think Holder and Nicki can't count themselves lucky.No way does Holder deserve a pick .

I wouldnt have chosen Holder but it's not like they've picked a raw novice, some reaction here a little over the top.

One thing I would say, we have no idea really how certain riders will perform next year ever after a great season. After his finish in 2012 assumed Antonio would have a killer 2013, he did nothing. Woffy the opposite, everyone expected to come 15th & he won it. Little to no one expected Kasprzak to finish 2nd in 2014, Not many of us expected Doyley to last more than one season when he qualified. Not many were happy with Magic getting in for this years series. On the flip side a lot of people though Emil;would be a minimum of top 3 this year.

In short, as displeased as some of us are (myself included) with the picks, lets wait and see how it all pans out...

This season his GP form was poor, his showing in his home GP of Melbourne was lacklustre. He doesn't deserve the pick and I don't see him setting the world alight next season.

• Like 1

Maybe it's a case of once a world champion it guarantees the rider gets a wildcard in all subsequent series' until he retires from the sport.

• Like 1

They were never going to pick a novice, so not relevant either.

They could have picked quite a few names and given them the massive opportunity it is.

Some of them may have jumped at it and been real assets to the series.

Perhaps even contenders.

But they haven't done that.

I don't believe they were ever going to, either.

They've given to one if the 'in crowd'

And just because He MAY make good with the pick.

Still does not make it right that he got that 'freebie' now.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 1