Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TheReturn

Sgp Wildcards 2018

Id say there were 7 riders with a claim for 4 places.

Hancock plus a dane were nailed on, and when I look at nickis record the last few seasons (as well as 3xWC) I think he was also an obvious choice. Vaculik in 9th was also very likely.

Of the others, Puk has been consistently solid but since his injury hasnt regained form of a few years back. Milik has impressed in GPS. Lebedevs is sec champ and arguably the best season of any of the riders outside the top 8. Then Holder, whose claim is probably based on being world champ 5 years ago and 4th last year. His final placing this year and last year though boosted by injuries to other riders and definitely the worst form of the 7 this year. I wouldnt have given him one, BUT he is not an outrageous pick.

The reserves are all decent choices, apart from Sundstrom ahead of lebedevs. But assume they felt they needed a Swede in the reserve list?

• Like 1

Likely Iversen will get plenty of gp's which will give him the chance to prove a point. If Pedersen has a bad year then Iversen is the next Dane off the rank. Danish Finals could be of interest to.

Likely Iversen will get plenty of gp's which will give him the chance to prove a point. If Pedersen has a bad year then Iversen is the next Dane off the rank. Danish Finals could be of interest to.

How is that?I thought Jepsen Jensen,Piotr Pawlicki and Kildemand are next in line from the Challenge

How is that?I thought Jepsen Jensen,Piotr Pawlicki and Kildemand are next in line from the Challenge

That's not relevant. Reserves are picked just like the wild cards.

Reserves are 1.NKI 2.Milik 3. Linus Sundström.

Guest GiveusaB

I dont think its a thread about people/fans not liking Holder etc....its about the wildcard system making a mockery of the 'top 8' rule ?

Hancock/Pedersen have the 'injury' excuse and quite rightly so.....but 'Holder' doesn't have any ?

I don't agree with the picks but now they are in I hope all four get stuck in and contribute positively to the series so that the spots aren't wasted. As satisfying as the alternative and being able to say ' we all told you so' might ultimately be.

That's not relevant. Reserves are picked just like the wild cards.

Reserves are 1.NKI 2.Milik 3. Linus Sundström.

4. Maksym Drabik, 5. Max Fricke

I dont think its a thread about people/fans not liking Holder etc....its about the wildcard system making a mockery of the 'top 8' rule ?

Hancock/Pedersen have the 'injury' excuse and quite rightly so.....but 'Holder' doesn't have any ?

I agree they are really just saying top 10 will get in the next season .To be fair to Holder ,Vaculik did not have any excuses either ,although he as more competitive than Holder.Think they need a system where bottom 7 get a chance against GP challengers without having to go through all the rounds.

Guest GiveusaB

I agree they are really just saying top 10 will get in the next season .To be fair to Holder ,Vaculik did not have any excuses either ,although he as more competitive than Holder.Think they need a system where bottom 7 get a chance against GP challengers without having to go through all the rounds.

Quite right...good shout about a 'ride off' type meeting to decide the 'wildcard' entries.

Always thought the U21 champion should get a WC pick - there is an argument they aren't ready but you don't know unless they are in.

It's ridiculous to have a ride-off meeting to determine the wildcards.

The whole idea of having them is so that they can be determined by consideration of other factors, such as injury and to include in-form guys from outside the challenge or previous year's GP standings.

I am all in favour of that.

One would, of course, hope that those charged with that responsibility would use sensible, decent and justifiable criteria for their choices.

But no one can force them to do it that way.

I suppose they could behave very differently.

And probably do.

Those 'fence sitters' planted on the panel from the outside, with barely a passing interest in the SGP, could just sit on their hands, offer no opinion and just rubber stamp whatever choice was made by the SGP organisers.

Meaning that a rider may end up getting the pick just because he knows the right people, had chummed up to the right folk or just has a face that fits.

The truth is we really don't know what goes on.

And never will.

Which is why the freedom of speech to call them out when they make a 'Stinker' is all we have.

And with all the options available, to my nose, Holder's pick stinks the place out like a wedge of over-ripe Gorgonzola.

Edited by Grand Central

Always thought the U21 champion should get a WC pick - there is an argument they aren't ready but you don't know unless they are in.

U21 WC did used to get a pick back in the early days of the GP

Ideal opportunity to bring some new blood in. One of the young up and coming Aussies wouldn't have been a bad shout.

But instead they pick Holder who was largely poor last season, especially in league speedway.

And if you're going to pick a Dane, surely it has to be NKI over Pedersen?

Ideal opportunity to bring some new blood in. One of the young up and coming Aussies wouldn't have been a bad shout.

But instead they pick Holder who was largely poor last season, especially in league speedway.

And if you're going to pick a Dane, surely it has to be NKI over Pedersen?

I should say so because if what we were told of Pedersen's injuries is correct, he may not ride again after the first tumble of the year. He was a great rider and a box office draw but unlikely to reach those heights again.

• Like 2

THEY used ... didn't work out well.