British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TheReturn

Sgp Wildcards 2018

THEY used ... didn't work out well.

Didn't Jason Crump get in that way?

It's ridiculous to have a ride-off meeting to determine the wildcards.

The whole idea of having them is so that they can be determined by consideration of other factors, such as injury and to include in-form guys from outside the challenge or previous year's GP standings.

I am all in favour of that.

One would, of course, hope that those charged with that responsibility would use sensible, decent and justifiable criteria for their choices.

But no one can force them to do it that way.

I suppose they could behave very differently.

And probably do.

Those 'fence sitters' planted on the panel from the outside, with barely a passing interest in the SGP, could just sit on their hands, offer no opinion and just rubber stamp whatever choice was made by the SGP organisers.

Meaning that a rider may end up getting the pick just because he knows the right people, had chummed up to the right folk or just has a face that fits.

The truth is we really don't know what goes on.

And never will.

Which is why the freedom of speech to call them out when they make a 'Stinker' is all we have.

And with all the options available, to my nose, Holder's pick stinks the place out like a wedge of over-ripe Gorgonzola.

Not anymore ridiculous that picking out of form riders IMO .
  • Like 1

Didn't Jason Crump get in that way?

yup, Crump and in the following years Protasiewicz, Jensen and Dados.

It's ridiculous to have a ride-off meeting to determine the wildcards.

The whole idea of having them is so that they can be determined by consideration of other factors, such as injury and to include in-form guys from outside the challenge or previous year's GP standings.

I am all in favour of that.

It's more ridiculous to pick out of form and undeserving riders randomly as in Holders case for a world championship event because their face fits, or they might be sponsored by the right people.

If the race off is the start of the following season most injured riders will be fit, so they're given a second chance to qualify by right in a sporting spectacle. It's meant to be a sport after all.

It's more ridiculous to pick out of form and undeserving riders randomly as in Holders case for a world championship event because their face fits, or they might be sponsored by the right people.

If the race off is the start of the following season most injured riders will be fit, so they're given a second chance to qualify by right in a sporting spectacle. It's meant to be a sport after all.

But it takes SGP riders all winter to sort out their sponsors, equipment, pit crew, travel, etc, etc

• Like 2

But it takes SGP riders all winter to sort out their sponsors, equipment, pit crew, travel, etc, etc

Excuse. Where there is a will there is a way, and with the exception of the Aussie GP which is at the end of the season anyway all the other GPs are across Europe where the top riders race throughout the season anyway.

The fact is, for the likes of the non-injured riders they should have done better to earn their spot, so tough make them qualify at the start of the following season! I do have some sympathy with injured riders, but that's life, just as in any sport sometimes sportsmen/women are injured and have to miss world championships, Olympics, world cups.

• Like 1

Its actually not an excuse they do genuinely need the full winter to get everything in place. Not fair if some of the field have that time to prepare an others dont.

• Like 1

There's a huge capital outlay to be competitive in the GPs. It doesn't fall into place overnight or off the back of doing well in league racing.

• Like 1

I should say so because if what we were told of Pedersen's injuries is correct, he may not ride again after the first tumble of the year. He was a great rider and a box office draw but unlikely to reach those heights again.

He'll be healthy from his current injury pretty sson. And that first tumble and out applies to everyone.

Is there a link to Lebedev saying he's not interested?

Edited by f-s-p

Its actually not an excuse they do genuinely need the full winter to get everything in place. Not fair if some of the field have that time to prepare an others dont.

Then they should have done more to qualify in the previous season.

This issue about preparing for the season is a piss poor pathetic excuse to defend the stupid status quo situation. Like I said, I have some sympathy with injured riders, but if riders want to rely on being picked rather than putting their skill and talent to the test then they don't deserve to be in the series anyway.

• Like 1

Surely there is nothing stopping ALL riders doing the GP Challenge, then if they don't make the top eight but make it the challenge way all good, and they would have all winter to get sponsors, Also why if I am correct is the Under 21 world Champ not given a wild card I know Drabik is Polish but I think he has earned it.

Surely there is nothing stopping ALL riders doing the GP Challenge, then if they don't make the top eight but make it the challenge way all good, and they would have all winter to get sponsors, Also why if I am correct is the Under 21 world Champ not given a wild card I know Drabik is Polish but I think he has earned it.

Yes, but they would fear not making it through the challenge. I think Holder would have struggled and a year out of the GPs should have been what happened. I also don't see why 9th place gets a pick every year - just make it the top nine then rather than pretend there's any risk. I found the GPs to be the most boring they've ever been this season but lots of people seem to like it. Watching the Championship playoffs and KO cups was much more interesting.

Have read through the last 5 pages, and they show an obvious frustration with Holder being picked, there will always be a 'hint; of suspicion when anyone who is picked is sponsored by a series partner. I am actually pleased though for Vaculik as I thought he deserved it, although he may only have been picked because it would have been odd to have 10th and not 9th. I dont understand though the thought running through peoples minds re Andžejs Ļebedevs as he was knocked out at the first hurdle, and in my opinion there were at least 25 riders in front of him for qualification and then he was tied with Mikkel Michelsen Jurica Pavlic and Martin Smolinski.

Edited by BUDGIE

Ideal opportunity to bring some new blood in. One of the young up and coming Aussies wouldn't have been a bad shout.

But instead they pick Holder who was largely poor last season, especially in league speedway.

And if you're going to pick a Dane, surely it has to be NKI over Pedersen?

It could be said they got enough new blood into 2018 GP - Laguta (yes I know he rode a few years ago), Prem Pawliski and Cooke.

I would have liked both Lebedevs and Milik both nothing to say they could perform CONSISTENTLY at top level all 12 GPs