British Speedway Forum
iainb

Time To Scrap Doubling Up?

They are now more self employed speedway riders rather than a member of a particular team .

So true. Get the feeling riders get more out of it than the fans.

Edited by moxey63

Looks like you are doubling up with the posts Moxey!!! Even tripling up now :rofl:

Edited by iris123

Swindon in the 70s had some pretty average teams but alot of those riders were real racers and trier's the fans loved them Hitch and Keen of the lesser lights were my favourites both had long service ( Hitchey come and go not his fault). I loved the teams who had loyal servants riders like Haley,Smith,Wilson(2) Wilko, Cartwright, Wyer,Paulson,PC,Mort, Lewis, Louis, Keen, Ashby, Kilby, (ect) loads more we could name speedway then was a great team sport.

• Like 4

Looks like you are doubling up with the posts Moxey!!! Even tripling up now :rofl:

I know... blooming computer. Not like they were in the 70s. :lol:

• Like 2

Not like it used to be. :)

No, because you are older and not full of life and enthusiasm...

Absolutely Spot On!!!!!

That is what is missing now, 'our Riders' - nowadays they are anybodies Riders.

Unless the Authorities cotton on to this, ultimately Speedway is finished.

You don't know now, your team don't race anymore, you'll never have that feeling again unfortunately, unless your team starts up again?

So true. Get the feeling riders get more out of it than the fans.

The fans are the clubs and if they feel pride and 'love' for their club it will rub off on the riders and management of the time hopefully.

As has been said here du is killing the sport, for me equally killing it is GUESTS . Last week at Redcar Sheffield used Lawson from their nearest rivals Glasgow. What other sport would allow that. If riders are injured tough..

If the riders need more rides , go back to 13 heats & second halves to get their xtra rides , bring back the Golden Helmet etc . Surely the BSPA could sort a sponsor..

The second halves used to be the source of extra rides for the youngsters to monitor the progress

Totally agree.

Today it is a circus now with a pool of riders who may be available on a particular night to represent and town or city but not your club.

This has become a sport for individuals so the team concept has long gone. Why not refer to those meetings where riders can ride for themselves under a 'club' name as a 4TT then have Gt Britain championship and possibly league meetings for those clubs that can put six or five man teams together. Mix a match. Five man team league meeting followed by individual championship and then the equivalent of a second half for up and coming riders. Possibly three man teams a bit like the development league.

Something needs to be done before it is too late if it has not already reached the point of no return. I hope not.

So one league, 5 man teams?

Plus other formats of speedway racing or make it a multi discipline meeting with side cars, short track and try to widen the interest. Just a thought but like many, the idea of attending weekly meetings has sadly gone. Do I miss it, yes, but the way it has evolved, the days are numbered and unless drastic changes are implemented the amateur racing will be the only game in town.

One league 6 man teams every rider has 5 rides , if a rider is injured during the meeting the rider directly above or anyone below in averages can take his rides only one extra though, no long term rr or guests injured riders to be replaced in 10 days. No black and white rides.

• Like 1

No, because you are older and not full of life and enthusiasm...

You don't know now, your team don't race anymore, you'll never have that feeling again unfortunately, unless your team starts up again?

The fans are the clubs and if they feel pride and 'love' for their club it will rub off on the riders and management of the time hopefully.

Age has nothing to do with it.

I know when I saw a Team of Riders - and I know when I see a group of Riders.

I watched Team Speedway years ago - nowadays you watch whoever the Promoter can get in and put out in front of you. The 'Team' (in it's true sense) ethic has gone from the Sport, and the Public, the Customers, are recognizing this and are not buying it.

No it won't - how can you build up Team Spirit and Camaraderie when you have different Riders in your so-called Team every week? The answer is you can't.

• Like 2

Age has nothing to do with it.

I know when I saw a Team of Riders - and I know when I see a group of Riders.

I watched Team Speedway years ago - nowadays you watch whoever the Promoter can get in and put out in front of you. The 'Team' (in it's true sense) ethic has gone from the Sport, and the Public, the Customers, are recognizing this and are not buying it.

No it won't - how can you build up Team Spirit and Camaraderie when you have different Riders in your so-called Team every week? The answer is you can't.

Yes there are a few where you don't have your team racing but it's usually because of a few different things, take our meeting at Leicester, Buster had sacked two of our original team, signed new boys who weren't available on that date, had injuries to cover too, so how can he get out of that one? Now if the league wasn't so strictly governed by the TV dates this could've been rearranged but no, it doesn't work like that.

And age, health and enthusiasm for life does have a bearing.... young people generally don't moan as much, it's all new to them, they haven't summered and wintered the sport, they aren't so synical, they go with mates, have fun... I know, I'm no youngster 😂

Edited by Trees

I believe the majority of fans would like to see the end of the double points.

Most non Speedway fans when told of the rule just say how stupid is that !!!

..................Trees.................And age, health and enthusiasm for life does have a bearing.... young people generally don't moan as much, it's all new to them, they haven't summered and wintered the sport, they aren't so synical, they go with mates, have fun... I know, I'm no youngster

What's SCB's reason then as he does enough moaning and he's a Spring Chicken. :lol:

Not sure I agree with you or not about it being an age thing as it's only Speedway that makes me feel fed up. On the whole I am completely happy and enjoy life but things have definitely changed for the worse in our sport. Surely we all know that. I don't know what the answer is to all this doubling up, doubling down and missing riders but the fact is it gets worse each season and more and more fans decide they've had enough and give up. I never thought I would be indifferent about Coventry ever returning but now I think they are best out of it and that's sad after I have supported them for 30 years.

• Like 2

When I first started watching speedway in the early 80s, there was doubling up, but it actually worked. If memory serves, often the number one rider from the old National League side (in our case Dave Perks) would double up in reserve for a British League side (Cradley and I think then Coventry in Perks case). The national league side would retain priority of course.

Of course there was a clear different in class between both leagues back then, and far less average overseas riders clogging up the British leagues. But the rider always felt like 'ours', Long Eaton's. It never felt like he was a travelling journeyman rider who was riding for a different club every night.

I guess the difference was that the "number 8" would only be called up a handful of times a season, not riding full time on both leagues.

I'd also suggest that the proportion of overseas riders, at least in the top flight, has not significantly changed since the 80s. In fact I'd say there are far fewer sub standard foreigners - I recall the likes of j verner ondrasik noer hdriniak righetto and Eastbourne alone one season (83?) used at least half a dozen rubbish foreign riders

I believe the majority of fans would like to see the end of the double points.

Most non Speedway fans when told of the rule just say how stupid is that !!!

Yes I'd like that to go with the only tactical move being gate changes when 6 down.