British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SCB

Championship Rider Final 24/09

Mods! Where are you? This is NOT proper discussion, please intervene (with your delete button where applicable)

• Like 2

And what if I am? Only validates my point

Great. :t:

Edited by justere2cgoodspeedway

Hardly. Better check with your mum if you should be on the internet.

Told you....not interested in your life advice. :t:

Mods! Where are you? This is NOT proper discussion, please intervene (with your delete button where applicable)

Agree!! A shambles, get them banned! both of them! both as bad as each other...justhere2cgoodspeedway is acting like well, like....a 12 year old?

• Like 1

You know the song.

If life seems jolly rotten

There's something you've forgotten

And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing

When you're feeling in the dumps

Don't be silly chumps

Just purse your lips and whistle, that's the thing....

Always look on the bright side of life....

....could be a proper speedway post soon :)

Yes you are missing the point. (no underline ;) )

Case 1

Best rider by miles 5 straight wins 15 points

Next best rider 11 points

Extra 6th race - puncture / EF so gifts 3 points to the fourth placed rider that has only 9 points so he gets a total of 12 points. So best rider crowned champion.

Case 2

Best rider by miles 5 straight wins 15 points

Next best rider 11 points

Extra 6th race - puncture / EF so gifts win to the fourth placed rider that had only 9 points but he is granted title of 'champion'. So best rider robbed.

If an extra heat for the sake of a last race spectacle maybe better if some of the built up lead still counted rather than all down the pan. Its an idea.

I'm sure you see it now me old fruit. :t::D

quite rare for a start that there is that large a difference in points between 1st and 2nd in the points, Failures could occur with the "champ" in heat 1 just as easily, and still the "best" rider is "robbed" . Just say you like the traditional formula better, I do see the point in that! :)

Cant we just accept that Nick Morris is the Champion, that`s what it will say in the record books for the rest of time.

• Like 2

Cant we just accept that Nick Morris is the Champion, that`s what it will say in the record books for the rest of time.

Thats the fact of the matter.The fans don't make up the rules.

There are those on here who vehemently argue that OOFC aka SGP is a fairer method of deciding the World Champion than the one-off World Final

Yet those same persons also argue against deciding a championship/individual event over 20 heats, all riders meet each other, favouring a one race decider

Seems a degree of contradictory thought there

Under that logic Ivan Mauger may well have been robbed of many of his titles whereby he beat and dominated every other rider, for the sake of a one off last race spectacle.

You might as well toss a coin. Ludicrous.

Conversely you could argue that a number of riders who missed out due to ef or controversial exclusions despite being the best rider on the night or over the season may have ended as world champ.

I watched Nick progress as a 16 year old at Glasgow I am more than happy to see Nick win and progress.

• Like 2

Having James Grevies in his pit that night also helped him big time

• Like 1

There's valid arguments for both sides. The 20 heat meeting fitted once upon a time but when someone decided we needed a dramatic ending that's when we started to have the semis and final races which are in themselves a good ending but often produce a 'coin-toss' winner, so to speak.

I bet Dave Jessup would have loved our system back in the 1978 World Final for example or Mauger in the 1973 Final. There are so many instances. How many riders could argue if they could have had one more race they might have won? Kenny Carter may have been World Champion. Other riders may have lost it.

I think we often feel for the rider who scores 15 points in the main meeting and then goes on to lose in the 'final'. That's a bitter pill to swallow.

I agree the old system was fairer of course but then I like a Grand Final too. And in that instance I always root for the top scorer to win. That's justice and vindication of the whole thing.

Ah well, we just have to accept what we have been given.

Edited by Mr X