Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SCB

Championship Rider Final 24/09

Agree,it the last race that counts nowadays.Well done to Nick who has had great season since he joined Bandits,but for me doesn't mean the same as when Wayne and Stevie won because they were Bandits through and through.Its not Nick's fault the way the sport has developed over the last few years.Like I said well done to Nick for brightening up Bandits supporters season.

Deserves his chance as he qualified by rights,but he seems to be losing the plot these days,let's see what he does in the GPs when the going gets tough.

The tough get going ;););)

• Like 1

Hear Cook has been banned for a week for missing last nights meeting.

yes , it was a ban , as per the official workington comets website .. the words ban give it away . no suspension , no misspelling . it says BAN !

I can see where you're coming from & I tend to agree that these meetings should be won by the top scorer on the night. However, rules are rules & therefore Morris won on the night.

Congrats to Nick Morris, certainly

He was the best rider in heat 22

He won one other race when competing against the other 15 riders in heats 1-20, and was second in heat 21

Congrats to Richie Worrall - the best rider on the night, beating ALL others

If there has to be this build-up in individual meetings to a final race decider, surely the fairest way to go is the system discarded by OOFC (SGP) whereby riders are eliminated along the way after two 3rd/4th places - that way, it is right that the last four men standing race off for the title

At the moment, there is little or no justice that a rider can beat everyone else but not be the winner

• Like 1

I guess you don't like the play-offs either as, in principle, they are the same.

Yet another "illness" for cook - what this time, upset stomach, toothache, bit of a cough and cold - what an a*hole ! They reckon Northern guys are tough - perhaps that's the problem - is he really a guy ? Gonna be true comedy in 2018 speedway GP I reckon.

I posted this in the Premiership section but might help one or two people to be more understanding of health issues. Might not help some though because you need more than one brain cell to understand it. :lol:

http://cc111.co.uk/craig-makes-a-statement-regarding-his-health/

I GET IT !

does that mean i have more than one brain cell! glasgow have put the workington fixture back from friday so craig can attend the meeting .

good guy and a cumbrian .

Edited by jenga

I GET IT !does that mean i have more than one brain cell! glasgow have put the workington fixture back from friday so craig can attend the meeting .good guy and a cumbrian .

You might have to pass a few more tests before I can be sure. A two thousand word dissertation on why Belle Vue are the best team in the UK might help. :lol:

A club statement on Craig's period of inactivity, or ban, as we northerners call it. http://www.bellevueaces.co/newsitem.aspx?id=2279

Edited by Aces51

I guess you don't like the play-offs either as, in principle, they are the same.

Your guess is correct, sir!

Edited by Midland Red

You might have to pass a few more tests before I can be sure. A two thousand word dissertation on why Belle Vue are the best team in the UK might help. :lol:

A club statement on Craig's period of inactivity, or ban, as we northerners call it. http://www.bellevueaces.co/newsitem.aspx?id=2279

sorry i cant agree to rhat blackmail . so looks like its not going to happen .

belle vue WERE the best team a loooonnngg time ago . but now , thanks to the powers that be are just a team by name , as are the rest .

THANKYOU BSPA/SCB for all your hard work in destroying one of the worlds best sports in the uk .

• Like 1

It always humours me how it is made out like it is some recent development and a new era thing that riders win a riders Championship by winning the Final - Nick Morris would have been about 2 years old the last time that didn't happen.

We are nearing the stage where more riders will have won the meeting in a final than over the course of 5 races yet even now it is made out like a recent development - it is just about the tradition now.

Edited by Hacksaw Jim Duggan

At the moment, there is little or no justice that a rider can beat everyone else but not be the winner

I agree a rider can ride all season finish top of the averages but not with the riders championship, where is the justice in that

• Like 1

We are nearing the stage where more riders will have won the meeting in a final than over the course of 5 races yet even now it is made out like a recent development - it is just about the tradition now.

That doesn't make it right. If it is wrong it is wrong - full stop. I agree with Midland Red and Third Man on this.

Ludicrous whereby a runaway leader is robbed of the trophy by a stroke of luck in a one-off heat and the trophy awarded to somebody that was way back in the field in the progressive heat scores - hardly worthy of being crowned 'champion'.

Why not carry forward the points won in the progressive heats so that they still contribute to the final result, e.g. the top four face each other in a "final" deciding heat whereby the final heat's points of 3 for the win, 2, 1, 0 are just added to the progressive score. If its already effectively been decided before the final heat by a runaway leader (sounds to me like a runaway leader should be rewarded accordingly and awarded the meeting as winner) but if you really want to influence the match by having a weighted points score for the final of say 5,4,3,0 added to the progressive heats scores then at least the progressive heats scores would not be lost.

Edited by justere2cgoodspeedway
  • Like 2

That doesn't make it right. If it is wrong it is wrong - full stop. I agree with Midland Red and Third Man on this.

Ludicrous whereby a runaway leader is robbed of the trophy by a stroke of luck in a one-off heat and the trophy awarded to somebody that was way back in the field in the progressive heat scores - hardly worthy of being crowned 'champion'.

Why not carry forward the points won in the progressive heats so that they still contribute to the final result, e.g. the top four face each other in a "final" deciding heat whereby the final heat's points of 3 for the win, 2, 1, 0 are just added to the progressive score. If its already effectively been decided before the final heat by a runaway leader (sounds to me like a runaway leader should be rewarded accordingly and awarded the meeting as winner) but if you really want to influence the match by having a weighted points score for the final of say 5,4,3,0 added to the progressive heats scores then at least the progressive heats scores would not be lost.

Whilst I agree with you, at least the top 2 scorers are in the final.

Looking at the GP's Emil has had 1st pick in a semi-final 5 times this season (meaning he is one of the top 2 scorers) and not once did he make the final.

Everyone knows the set-up before the meeting starts like Matej Zagar winning a GP after scoring 7 points less than Jason Doyle in the qualifiers.

Everyone knows the set-up before the meeting starts

That's not the point. The point is that the "rules" enable a rider that is sub-standard to be crowned the winner.

It is not about selecting the best - but it should be. That's the point.

It is ridiculous the rules enable that the leading rider that has comprehensively beaten every other rider can then be usurped by a rider way behind him in 6th position that has struggled by comparison and clearly not of the same calibre to then be awarded the title for the sake of having a spectacle one off last race. It is unprofessional and amateurish, it is 'Mickey Mouse' which fits with the rest of what the BSPA are doing these days.

Edited by justere2cgoodspeedway
  • Like 2

That doesn't make it right. If it is wrong it is wrong

Yeah.....it isn't - it's a speedway meeting mate, there are actual things and issues in the world - having a final in a speedway meeting isn't one....