British Speedway Forum
Bigballs

British Riders

And Australia did what exactly? At least England go tot to the final, which is more than the Aussies did. The Aussies race KL as often as the English lads, so no hoe track advantage.

You need to understand the differences between what has happened here & abroad. In Denmark, Sweden, Poland & Australia, for example, the tracks are pretty much exclusively owned by the clubs & there aren't the do gooders there that there are here bleating about noise etc. The track problem is a historic one. Back in speedway's hey-day with massive crowds & lots of tracks, speedway promoters piggy backed tracks off greyhound, rugby & football stadia & paid rent. They creamed off huge profits & made loads of money & didn't reinvest in the infrastructure of the sport by building their own stadiums at a time when it would have been easier to do so as planning restrictions were looser. Essentially some of the problems of today, stem from greed of promoters when things were good.

As time has gone on with planning harder & people moaning about noise etc, it has been more difficult to have facilities for kids to train & learn, although there is some improvement in this.

Another issue is the demise of grass track racing. Back in thee 70's, 80's & 90's there were big meetings on the grass every 5 minutes & kids learnt the art of racing etc on the grass as there were loads of opportunities. Foot & mouth, which caused loads of issues in the rural UK, planning & noise have seen numbers of meetings fall & less riders as a result.

The old style second halves disappearing hasn't helped either.

Finally, the obvious problem of money.

We do have some stadiums that could facilitate Training schools i.e. NSS in Manchester. Ipswich would be ok, Sheffield would be ideal

Why has this not been put into practice

Your right about the money side of it, but we don't feed our British Riders the money goes to better foreign riders with lower averages than the British.

Also how is it that a former GP rider KK is now riding at Reserve at Rye House, That's British Speedway rules. Even the rule master from Poole didn't spot that one coming.

We do have some stadiums that could facilitate Training schools i.e. NSS in Manchester. Ipswich would be ok, Sheffield would be ideal

Why has this not been put into practice

Your right about the money side of it, but we don't feed our British Riders the money goes to better foreign riders with lower averages than the British.

Also how is it that a former GP rider KK is now riding at Reserve at Rye House, That's British Speedway rules. Even the rule master from Poole didn't spot that one coming.

Quite a few tracks hold training schools, Redcar have a few each year, Northside is solely a training track and Scunthorpe hold training schools and run amateur meetings throughout the winter.

As I said in my post, there is an improvement. However, most tracks are restricted in when they can run. Any track near any kind of residential area will have the NIMBY's saying that they hate the noise & it scares their chickens or something. At Somerset, one lady even said that she had the shale coming down her chimney & she was almost a mile away. Planning for a new track at Haldon Racecourse near Exeter was halted first by the firefighters recuperation home almost 2 miles away saying it would blight recovery of firefighters & then some lesser spotted reed warbler or something would have it's nest disturbed & that kicked up a fuss.

Sadly it isn't as straightforward as you think getting time on track - may tracks only have planning for use once a week - what help is that?

Ok so can you name one good British rider without a team place this year then?[/quite

Yes fence poper he blown his chances when he could not turn the bike properly. Due to lack of bike time. We nearly lost josh auty because he couldn't make ends meet only having one ride if it wasn't for the BSPA chairman and vice chairman getting together and giving josh a chance he would have finished speedway

Australians have that extra determination to succeed, your only getting the best of their talent coming here and they know they have to make the best of that chance or it could be all over.

In Britain we don't have that, it's in the mentality to take the easier route and not embrace the challenges. Kids are brought up being told at school that it's ok to finish last, it's the taking part that counts, everyone is a winner etc. It's nonsense but we get it into our heads and in the majority it stays there. You need to have that competitiveness, to be ruthless to reach the top level, it's hard to find that when you are taught that it doesn't matter. It's not just this sport, look at how few footballers take the opportunity to move abroad, and those who do generally don't last long. Easy option of staying in this country with all the home comforts, not having to bother learning a new language, possibly being away from family etc and they take it even if it means not giving yourself the best chance of improving.

Look at Jason Doyle now. I know he had so many injury problems but he was comfortable doubling-up and maybe he didn't quite have that determination. Because of the visa issues he was forced to give up riding for Somerset and had to concentrate on Leicester and make the most of the chances he got abroad. I guess it's hard for British riders to force themselves to drop the 2nd tier but the likes of Cook, Lambert, probably Steve Worrall need to do that now. Might be difficult at first if you don't get the opportunities in other countries straight away but you have to stick with it.

What do you mean averages if your lucky enough to have a big average that must mean your doing well?

Very true - but what if said Average does not fit in to any Team - you are on the shelf.

That is what I was getting at. The Averages for Team building is, by definition, restrictive. You build your Team to an Average Total by fitting people in. Those who don't fit are out of a job.

Quite a few tracks hold training schools, Redcar have a few each year, Northside is solely a training track and Scunthorpe hold training schools and run amateur meetings throughout the winter.

Not so much as training days more practice days and basic riding skills the kids need taught by well known riders and on a regular basis not once a month and maybe any rider that gets a testimonial should be obliged to put some time in the following year to help the kids I think if any retired rider started a training school and took it around the country it would be full every time the NSS should be open a few nights a week for tuition/practice for riders what's the use of having a national speedway stadium and not using it to ifs full poteniol there is loads that can be done but it's the Ones at the top that needs to put the wheels in motion

Some of the Polish and Swedish tracks I seen on telly have smaller junior tracks on the inside.

Whats stopping Kings Lynn, Leicester, Somerset and others doing the same.

Very true - but what if said Average does not fit in to any Team - you are on the shelf.

That is what I was getting at. The Averages for Team building is, by definition, restrictive. You build your Team to an Average Total by fitting people in. Those who don't fit are out of a job.

Ok tell me how a better foreign rider has a lower average than most British riders?

Ok tell me how a better foreign rider has a lower average than most British riders?

I wasn't looking for an argument. You asked for my reasoning - I gave it to you. I was talking in general, not specifically.

Averages can and do prevent people riding - that is undeniable.

• Like 1

Some of the Polish and Swedish tracks I seen on telly have smaller junior tracks on the inside.

Whats stopping Kings Lynn, Leicester, Somerset and others doing the same.

Some have certainly done that in the past.

Not so much as training days more practice days and basic riding skills the kids need taught by well known riders and on a regular basis not once a month and maybe any rider that gets a testimonial should be obliged to put some time in the following year to help the kids I think if any retired rider started a training school and took it around the country it would be full every time the NSS should be open a few nights a week for tuition/practice for riders what's the use of having a national speedway stadium and not using it to ifs full poteniol there is loads that can be done but it's the Ones at the top that needs to put the wheels in motion

Well you aren't going to get that and the NSS is quite near to dwellings and commercial buildings.

• Like 1

I wasn't looking for an argument. You asked for my reasoning - I gave it to you. I was talking in general, not specifically.

Averages can and do prevent people riding - that is undeniable.

About 15 years ago....it is a clutch of riders now at best – out with Joe Jacobs I am struggling to think of any other Brit who was left on the side-lines.

As I said in my post, there is an improvement. However, most tracks are restricted in when they can run. Any track near any kind of residential area will have the NIMBY's saying that they hate the noise & it scares their chickens or something. At Somerset, one lady even said that she had the shale coming down her chimney & she was almost a mile away. Planning for a new track at Haldon Racecourse near Exeter was halted first by the firefighters recuperation home almost 2 miles away saying it would blight recovery of firefighters & then some lesser spotted reed warbler or something would have it's nest disturbed & that kicked up a fuss.

Sadly it isn't as straightforward as you think getting time on track - may tracks only have planning for use once a week - what help is that?

In Hull, Boulevard a man wrote the council complaing that a stone from the speedway flew over his fence and hit him whilst he was watering his garden. He lived 3 streets and approx 1 1/2 miles away from the stadium. In the Craven Park era, a lady wrote several times to the council complaining the noise from 'all the fireworks at the speedway' (one rocket was let off to signify a win, no mention of the noise from the bikes or the PA), made her dog bark so she was unable to read in bed. But I defo see where you are coming from....

Edited by Martin Mauger
  • Like 1

About 15 years ago....it is a clutch of riders now at best – out with Joe Jacobs I am struggling to think of any other Brit who was left on the side-lines.

I only stated probably Averages would cost Riders places. As I said - I was talking generally, however even if it is only one Rider, that, at least proves my point.

I only stated probably Averages would cost Riders places. As I said - I was talking generally, however even if it is only one Rider, that, at least proves my point.

You said many British riders don’t have a team as a result of averages, that is patently not true irrespective of how sweeping and general the point was.