Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Normski

Bandits V Scunthorpe 19/8/17. 7pm

Best meeting I have seen this season,even if it was the Scunny riders that done the majority of the passing,track was excellent.

• Like 2

quote; from topsoil

Another cracking meeting, passing in most of the races, even in the ones where there wasn't the racing was tight. Two evenly matched teams, close scores right up to heat 14 the result was in doubt. Most of the passing done by Scunthorpe it has to be said as the Berwick team riding didn't go to plan. Nick Morris was a class above tonight, also very impressed by Lewis Kerr for the visitors. Don't grudge him a thing after coming back from that crash at the fours.

Two wins in a row, these are heady days for Berwick :-) great entertainment again and the result to go with it, you can't ask for much more.

Again, it shows just what we are missing having at least one strong heat leader in a team at the bottom where most teams have two strong heat leaders & one three, when it comes to the business end of a meeting.

• Like 1

Not the greatest crowd this season, but thankfully our next 3 home meetings Worky,Newcastle, Edinburgh should see decent turnouts.

A point to ponder on how far club has come.

That crowd, perhaps the lowest of the season, would have been considered as being wholly acceptable, very much the norm, in the latter years of wee Peter's regime.

With racing of this calibre on a track like that, it is no wonder attendances have held up so well in the face of all the injuries and low league standing.

A point to ponder on how far club has come.

That crowd, perhaps the lowest of the season, would have been considered as being wholly acceptable, very much the norm, in the latter years of wee Peter's regime.

With racing of this calibre on a track like that, it is no wonder attendances have held up so well in the face of all the injuries and low league standing.

It is noticeable this season that the track prep is much better than recent seasons be interesting to know who oversees it.Is it Gary Havelock.?
  • Like 1

Another great meeting, Nick Morris was outstanding and JPB also showing real potential.

Good to see another decent turnout, proves that getting the entertainment right on track brings people back!

I don't know what else you can do. Entertaining speedway on a decent evening weather wise and ran pretty efficiently. I'm afraid some people just can't be bothered these days.

I was texting for speedway updates and had very few "from the gate" comments which says a lot. I thoroughly enjoyed the meeting as did my eldest two offspring up visiting for the weekend

Edited by Shads
  • Like 4

I'd say the crowd was kind of what you'd expect given the opposition and that there was very little but bragging rites up for grabs due to,the league status of both clubs . Shame really because they missed an entertaining evening

• Like 2

What a great meeting with Nick showing what a great rider he is! David Howe this season has also been a real positive signing with a hope that his name will be on the team sheet for next season.

A pretty poor crowd in attendance however a great positive when the centre green presenter was silenced due to the technical difficulties, the neighbouring houses must have been as glad a most of the spectators at that. Too much screaming and shouting down the mike has seen it going faulty!

I'd say the crowd was kind of what you'd expect given the opposition and that there was very little but bragging rites up for grabs due to,the league status of both clubs . Shame really because they missed an entertaining evening

I think the main problem nowadays is a lot of die hard regular fans can just "take it or leave it" due to the way the sport is run.All the years I have attended speedway I have found it hard to predict if it was going to be a decent match.There are too many factors nowadays that put fans off attending regular IMO .
  • Like 3

I think the main problem nowadays is a lot of die hard regular fans can just "take it or leave it" due to the way the sport is run.All the years I have attended speedway I have found it hard to predict if it was going to be a decent match.There are too many factors nowadays that put fans off attending regular IMO .

I see where you are coming from, I didn't go to this meeting, I got home, and do you know what I couldn't be ars*d. Now when I die hard like me does that you know something is wrong, I know of at least 6 diehards that no longer attend, havn't been since the debarcle of heat 15 against Glasgow, it really pi**ed them off.

I see where you are coming from, I didn't go to this meeting, I got home, and do you know what I couldn't be ars*d. Now when I die hard like me does that you know something is wrong, I know of at least 6 diehards that no longer attend, havn't been since the debarcle of heat 15 against Glasgow, it really pi**ed them off.

Ah well mate you missed a good un

Unfortunately I am going the same way,as I have 130 ml round trip it is getting easier to come to terms with.

I think the focus has to be getting in new fans who don't care about track, averages, etc.

I have a few young relations and their friends who have started coming this season and love it.

They don't fill in a programme, think nothing of the track.
They just enjoy the racing and keeping track of the score via the announcements.

Getting youngsters into the sport is the future, not pandering to us old farts. I think Berwick are doing very well in this respect.

• Like 1

I think the focus has to be getting in new fans who don't care about track, averages, etc.

I have a few young relations and their friends who have started coming this season and love it.

They just enjoy the racing and keeping track of the score via the announcements.

Getting youngsters into the sport is the future, not pandering to us old farts. I think Berwick are doing very well in this respect.

The flaw in your argument, it is the old farts like you and too a lesser extent me, who pay to attend every week, the kids are free. So without the old fart to support speedway financially, there will no speedway for the youngster to go to in the future.

Good luck in finding all those fans who fit your criteria.

Must admit I don`t see the average age of the Berwick supporters getting younger, quite the opposite in fact. Seems like what happens is the very young come, normally with parents but once the teenage years and the 20`s come along those fans disappear largely, probably finding something else to do on a Saturday night rather than speedway.