British Speedway Forum
Sidney the robin

British Talent Is Coming Through The Future Looks Good.

Which part of SCBs post do you have an issue with?

It seems like a reasonable summary of the riders if you ask me.

ie) Has he got a real knowledge on the riders mentioned ????!but anyway i respect his point of view move on eh!! Edited by Sidney the robin

I certainly hope that the Riders you mention do well.

I would love to see some develop in to Riders of the calibre of PC, Chris Morton, Simmo, Lee or Jessup.

Only time will tell.

shame you won't get to see any of them.

all because of a rule that doesn't actually exist in the Youth Championship

• Like 1

I agree with Sidneys general optimism. There are much greater numbers that 'have a chance' than there have been for sometime.

I do though think SCBs assessment is valid. Those destined for the top will nearly always progress very very quickly so by 20/21 should be out of the development leagues unless they didnt start until 18+.

Thats where the youth structure is vital giving training and practice opportunities long before league elligibility arrives.

Too often until the relatively recent past a complete newcomer with next to no experience would be thrust straight into competitive league racing and thats often not good for development.

• Like 2

I certainly hope that the Riders you mention do well.

I would love to see some develop in to Riders of the calibre of PC, Chris Morton, Simmo, Lee or Jessup.

Only time will tell.

You won't ever see them, you don't go to speedway anymore!!!

If you haven't made it to PL second string by 20 then you're never going to make it. Realistically you need to be heatleader by then.

John Louis did alright - started speedway after 20 - someone else will know exactly...

The assumption there is that the rider has say 5 years at NL level at that stage. Louis was a 2nd tier HL in his 2nd season from memory.

I'd also say the chances now of someone taking up the sport and making such rapid progress is very slim.

I believe in the next five years will will have some really good Brtish riders coming through and all at the very least will make Championship riders i very much hope so anyway.Jenkins,Bickley,Bowtell,Brennan,Atkins,JPB,Wood,Rowe,Thomas, as examples all have a great chance to progress.And with the likes of Bewley Zak ( Hume/Phillips both bloody unlucky improved no end) Mountain,,Bailey we have quite a nice crop there am i to Enthusiastic??? what are your opinions.

There was a list just as long five years ago of riders who are now floating around the Championship or still in the NL even. Perry, Clegg, Morley, Branford, Morris, Greenwood, Kerr, Sarjeant, Nielsen, Jacobs, Knight, Bates etc. Unfortunately for me that isn't making it. Things are improving however and there are a few here and there that look like they could, with the right attitude and application, push on and be going into the GP qualification rounds in the long run if not further or shock horror actually get team places in Poland and Sweden.

The assumption there is that the rider has say 5 years at NL level at that stage. Louis was a 2nd tier HL in his 2nd season from memory.

I'd also say the chances now of someone taking up the sport and making such rapid progress is very slim.

Bewley won't have completed two seasons until mid way into next season and I wouldn't be surprised if he was a Championship heat leader by then. If not he won't be far away and he hasn't got the experience John Louis had in other motor cycle disciplines when he took up speedway. As you say not many achieve it.

Currently breaking though this year. The top 125cc Championship riders are Archie, Harry and Sam McGurk and Luke Harrison. Archie was on a max at Leicester when called off for no medical cover, and has been 2nd to Harry both at Scunny and Belle Vue, and missed out of a final ride by the spin of a coin at Redcar. He didn't do the earlier southern rounds due to distance away, so unlikely to get enough points to get on the podium. He really has developed this year, and team riders are starting to give him a lot of attention and helpful advice.

Your club are a great example of giving kids a real chance Phillips,Coles,Hopwood,Bowtell(who has improved bigtime) all getting prelonged runs that has to be the way forward.

If you haven't made it to PL second string by 20 then you're never going to make it. Realistically you need to be heatleader by then.

John Louis did alright - started speedway after 20 - someone else will know exactly...

I think John was 29 when he took up speedway.

• Like 1

Bewley won't have completed two seasons until mid way into next season and I wouldn't be surprised if he was a Championship heat leader by then. If not he won't be far away and he hasn't got the experience John Louis had in other motor cycle disciplines when he took up speedway. As you say not many achieve it.

Dan Bewley rode Motocross before he switched to speedway, same as John Louis (although it was 'Scrambling' back in the day!!).

My main hope is that Anders Rowe is in a Swindon Robins team in about five years time alot of hard work ahead for him.I hope he does it he has started brightly on his career path so he has every chance of achieving it.

My main hope is that Anders Rowe is in a Swindon Robins team in about five years time alot of hard work ahead for him.I hope he does it he has started brightly on his career path so he has every chance of achieving it.

If he keeps improving at his present rate I think a reserve place with Swindon could be a possibility before 5 years.

If he keeps improving at his present rate I think a reserve place with Swindon could be a possibility before 5 years.

I hope you are right fingers crossed eh!!! to be in a Robins team before he is twenty would be some achievement.It reminds me of when Wellie ,Rosco, Martin Hewlett( bless him) got there chance.
  • Like 1

There was a list just as long five years ago of riders who are now floating around the Championship or still in the NL even. Perry, Clegg, Morley, Branford, Morris, Greenwood, Kerr, Sarjeant, Nielsen, Jacobs, Knight, Bates etc. Unfortunately for me that isn't making it. Things are improving however and there are a few here and there that look like they could, with the right attitude and application, push on and be going into the GP qualification rounds in the long run if not further or shock horror actually get team places in Poland and Sweden.

Bates has had some league racing in Poland, as has Adam Ellis. Both were world under 21 finalists last year, Ellis seems to ride abroad as much as he does here. They might not be world beaters but they are progressing.

• Like 2