British Speedway Forum
Sidney the robin

British Talent Is Coming Through The Future Looks Good.

Bates has had some league racing in Poland, as has Adam Ellis. Both were world under 21 finalists last year, Ellis seems to ride abroad as much as he does here. They might not be world beaters but they are progressing.

Adam Ellis wasn't part of my list because he is one of the better youngsters. Bates is progressing perhaps but still isn't anywhere near the level of some of his Polish/Danish/Swedish contemporaries of the same age.

If you haven't made it to PL second string by 20 then you're never going to make it. Realistically you need to be heatleader by then.

John Louis did alright - started speedway after 20 - someone else will know exactly...

Craig Cook didn't start racing until he was 20, not done bad for himself. Remember the 1st time I see him at Rye, he took completely different lines to others. Rode around the top of the camber.

My main hope is that Anders Rowe is in a Swindon Robins team in about five years time alot of hard work ahead for him.I hope he does it he has started brightly on his career path so he has every chance of achieving it.

Watched Rowe at Plymouth a couple of weeks ago in a SDL match and he looked a really good prospect beating everyone before him quite easily.

Last Friday at Plymouth in a league match he was totally outpaced, he was riding at No 2. In the 2nd half in another SDL match he looked good again. It just goes to show the different quality between the leagues.

Dan Bewley rode Motocross before he switched to speedway, same as John Louis (although it was 'Scrambling' back in the day!!).

Sorry, I should have made myself clear. My point was that John Louis had more experience of Motocross than Bewley when they switched to Speedway. I used to love to watch John, he certainly deserved his "Tiger" nickname.

Sorry, I should have made myself clear. My point was that John Louis had more experience of Motocross than Bewley when they switched to Speedway. I used to love to watch John, he certainly deserved his "Tiger" nickname.

Louis was he similar to Doncaster as he started late think Jeremy was 25/27 ish ???? and a grasstrack star in Bewley Aces you have a real talent.Just shows you Parkinson Blackburn who has had a hard season beat Bewley from the back in the Colts v Brummies meeting people should not right him off a fine prospect i believe.

If you haven't made it to PL second string by 20 then you're never going to make it. Realistically you need to be heatleader by then.

John Louis did alright - started speedway after 20 - someone else will know exactly...

1)In the 1970s. 40 years ago! Hard anfrewt example do modern day speedway

2) he started after he was 20 so obviously that would be the case.

3) Craig Cook would be a better example but again he started later.

Your club are a great example of giving kids a real chance Phillips,Coles,Hopwood,Bowtell(who has improved bigtime) all getting prelonged runs that has to be the way forward.

Mocks me for knowing nothing then refers to Ben Hopewood as a "kid", he's 25 FFS. Even Coles is 22. They're not kids and are last the stage of ever realistically making it. From time to time someone might come from nowhere later on but it's rare.

3) Craig Cook would be a better example but again he started later.Mocks me for knowing nothing then refers to Ben Hopewood as a "kid", he's 25 FFS. Even Coles is 22. They're not kids and are last the stage of ever realistically making it. From time to time someone might come from nowhere later on but it's rare.

Not kids of course my point was could some of these make at the minimum very good Championship riders ??? Hopwood is a brit older but so what done ok.I dont expect any of these to be GP riders hopefully be Championship riders with the odd jem thrown in CHILL dont need to be aggressive😂😜 Edited by Sidney the robin

3) Craig Cook would be a better example but again he started later.Mocks me for knowing nothing then refers to Ben Hopewood as a "kid", he's 25 FFS. Even Coles is 22. They're not kids and are last the stage of ever realistically making it. From time to time someone might come from nowhere later on but it's rare.

Spot on..

I saw Joe Screen make his debut for the Aces in 88...

He was 16 years of age. ..

That season Joe went on to quite regularly beating some of the very best riders in the World in what was (at the time) THE toughest league in the World....

Joe went on to finish 6th in the World Championship one year and won a World U21 Title...

No disrespect to any of the current crop of 'young' lads but (maybe Lambert and Bewley apart) none of them could do in a much weaker League what Joe did all those years ago...

Jason Doyle is the only rider I can think of recently who after a few years of riding 'suddenly came good'...

Speedway is a Sport which appears to have no age barriers as to how good you can be but is simply down to the aptitude of being able to ride a Speedway bike faster than your opponents...

That natural aptitude will show itself at any age but so will the natural level for each individual rider..

Regardless of what age you start racing professionally, if after three years of riding you are still not in the top league at I would say second string level or a second tier heat leader (at least), you are, in the main, not going to be anywhere near a World Level Speedway rider..

Good to see British riders given a chance but we need to be fair to them re our expectations of their careers...

Edited by mikebv

My main hope is that Anders Rowe is in a Swindon Robins team in about five years time alot of hard work ahead for him.I hope he does it he has started brightly on his career path so he has every chance of achieving it.

My main hope is that there's a Swindon team for him to be in.in 5 years

• Like 2

shame you won't get to see any of them.

all because of a rule that doesn't actually exist in the Youth Championship

My nearest National LeagueTrack to Sunderland is Belle Vue. Far too far for me to consider going these days.

You won't ever see them, you don't go to speedway anymore!!!

I watch it on the Television though - and yes I still get angry at the Double Points rides - but at least I can do that at home on my own, and do not make a fool of myself at my local Track.

Apart from that - I was speaking metaphorically.

I hope all the youngsters do well enough to make a career out of speedway. But would be more than happy if they didn't become world class and so stayed racing in the UK. Can't understand some fans obsession with riders having to ride in Poland to become better and then complaining about missing riders and guests

Have you heard a rumour? why wouldn't there be.!!!!

Nope not heard anything .well of course other than what's been going on for ages new stadium not new stadium houses not houses , doesn't look like a very stable situation to me ,and when there's developers sniffing, not even your own box of Lego is safe

They may go on to be decent league riders but anyone still riding/eligible for NL at 21 is NOT going to "make it" if making it is being SWC level..

If the test is genuine SWC level then we don't have any British born riders at all except Tai that have "made it" , although we can arguably say Scott and Bomber were there at their peaks.

I think setting the bar ar SWC level is setting it very high though. With the increasingly watered down leagues and absence of quality foreign riders it is going to be very difficult indeed for young riders to find the level of competition that brings the best out of them.

Edited by E I Addio

And of course LEON FLINT 250cc BRITISH CHAMPION again this year.

The big one for Leon is this week World Championship at Marketa Stadium Prague.

Proud to have helped this young lad even though it is in a small way, it is great to see TAFFYS on the front of a bike and in the lead.

GO FLINTY GO,,this week,in Prague rooting for you

• Like 3

As far as the age/ experience thing goes I don't think you can compare British lads to Polish or any of the Scandinavian countries or even Australia as they just don't get the time on the bike that most of those youngsters do. For most British lads they are lucky to get 10 minutes actual riding time a week during the season and less in the winter. Realistically British lads with 5 years Speedway under their belt could be compared to second year riders of other nationalities.

Having said that if after 2 or 3 years of practice/ amateur meetings you aren't at NL level then I would say it's very unlikely you will ever make that grade. The sport should be associating itself much more closely with other motorcycle sports, especially MX where some schoolboy meetings will have more riders at a single local event than there are youth Speedway riders in this country. Speedway should be contributing prizes and having riders at these events letting the youngsters know that a Speedway career is much more likely for the majority than a MX one. Grasstrack is full of kids who want to be Speedway riders but it's not often I've seen a promoter or riders there encouraging the kids.

As for what constitutes success I would say any kid getting to NL level is a success for the sport. If 1 in 3 go on to make it to Championship level and 1 in 5 of them to Premier then clearly the more you get to NL league the more chance of getting riders to World standard.

• Like 2