British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Midland Red

10 Ride Maximum

Must just mention that, 50 years ago today, 19 August 1967, Coventry Bees beat Exeter Falcons and Glasgow Tigers in a BL double-header at Brandon. They used rider-replacement for the absent Rick France, and Nigel Boocock, riding at no.5, recorded back-to-back five ride 15 point maximums in the two fixtures.

It may have been done elsewhere, sometime, but I thought it worth recording Booey's feat ;)

• Like 4

Great job by Booey, can you imagine how he must have felt after doing that - top of the world feeling.

And I noted that whilst it was a double header for Coventry, it was against 2 different teams. Not the farcical situation coming up at Kings Lynn where they race the same tea twice in one night. Nonsense.

• Like 1

It may have been done elsewhere, sometime......

Your's was a gentle challenge to tell us when another rider has done this. I'll go further. This might be unique. Bloody good, anyway.

Not the top league, but Craig Cook did 2 15 point maximums in an away double header at Workington in 2013 for Edinburgh.

Edinburgh lost both meetings despite Craig's maximums.

Edited by HenryW

The closest I've found so far is from 18th September 1994 when Newcastle & Exeter visited Shawfield. Nigel Crabtree scored 14+1(5) and 15(5) - Glasgow were operating rider replacement but Crabtree wasn't eligible for an extra ride, his 5th ride was courtesy of a nominated heat. David Walsh was eligible and he racked up 17(6) and 18(6), Stuart Robson being the rider who stopped the 12-ride full house.

Plenty of examples of one or even two riders going unbeaten over 8 or 9 rides. Charlie Monk & Jim McMillan both recorded back-to-back 12(4) scores at Hampden on 26th September 1969, Oxford and Sheffield being the vistors.

• Like 1

Not the top league, but Craig Cook did 2 15 point maximums in an away double header at Workington in 2013 for Edinburgh.

A sign of things to come?

2018 SGP ?

In a double header at Swindon on 9th October 1965 Barry Briggs scored 12 from 4 rides against Belle Vue, followed by 15 from 5 rides against Wolverhampton, the extra ride taken as a tactical substitute. Belle Vue had a dreadful away record that year so there was never going to be an opportunity for Briggs to take a tactical ride against them.

• Like 1

I've looked through results from 1965-78 and found one top league equal in Ole Olsen. 6th August 1971 he recorded back-to-back 15(5) scores for Wolverhampton against Poole (BL) and Oxford (KOC). Three weeks later he repeated the feat, this time against Sheffield (BL) and Cradley (Dudley-Wolves Trophy).

In the second division, 3rd August 1977 at Newport v Peterborough & Glasgow, Brian Woodward recorded 15(5) in each match. John Goodall came within a point of matching him.

As an aside, I also found a couple of instances where 3 riders were unbeaten over 8 rides. 19th September 1974 at Sheffield v Hackney & Leicester, Bob Valentine (11+1 & 12), Reg Wilson (11+1 & 11+1) and Doug Wyer (10+2 & 12).

10th August 1975 at Eastbourne v Peterborough & Crewe, Paul Gachet (9+3 & 10+2), Steve Weatherley (11+1 & 11+1) and Neil Middleditch (12 & 12).

Edited by daveallan81
  • Like 1

These next ones are from Glasgow season files.

16th May 1982 at Rye House v Glasgow & Edinburgh, Bob Garrad scored 14+1(5) and 15(5).

15th July 1983 at Weymouth v Stoke (NL) & Glasgow (KOC), both Martin Yeates and Steve Schofield recorded 15(5) in each match.

And we have a new leader: 21st August 1983 at Rye House v Edinburgh & Glasgow, Bob Garrad scored 15(5) followed by 18(6).

• Like 1

Not the same but three Sheffield riders scored full 12 point maximums against BV in 1968, impossible to repeat after 1968 because of the change in race format

does anyone know if this happened before

• Like 1

Not the same but three Sheffield riders scored full 12 point maximums against BV in 1968, impossible to repeat after 1968 because of the change in race format

does anyone know if this happened before

Actually, it WASN'T impossible for that to happen after 1968; it was just impossible for the three heat leaders to achieve that. Riders listed at 2, 3, and 4 could all record 12-pointers...

Steve

• Like 1

In a double header at Swindon on 9th October 1965 Barry Briggs scored 12 from 4 rides against Belle Vue, followed by 15 from 5 rides against Wolverhampton, the extra ride taken as a tactical substitute. Belle Vue had a dreadful away record that year so there was never going to be an opportunity for Briggs to take a tactical ride against them.

I know Mauger did it in 66 scored 21 and Henny Kroeze did it in 77? has anyone else done it? can remember Thomsen ( on a oversized engine scoring heavily 19/20?? points Michanek scoring 20??? beaten by Ashby when riding for the heathens.

Actually, it WASN'T impossible for that to happen after 1968; it was just impossible for the three heat leaders to achieve that. Riders listed at 2, 3, and 4 could all record 12-pointers...

Steve

Or of course a number of possible combinations involving a reserve taking an extra ride: 1,5,6 or 1,5,7 or 2,4,6 or 2,5,6 etc

Or of course a number of possible combinations involving a reserve taking an extra ride: 1,5,6 or 1,5,7 or 2,4,6 or 2,5,6 etc

Absolutely. I just figured that The Third Man was talking about the top five.

I love weird stats like this, and I knew it had been done. So, this is a little more unlikely; I wonder if anyone has picked up a bonus point in every ride in a double-header???

Steve

Steve

True, need to think a little more before posting, never known it happen again though