British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Midland Red

10 Ride Maximum

Not the same but three Sheffield riders scored full 12 point maximums against BV in 1968, impossible to repeat after 1968 because of the change in race format

does anyone know if this happened before

On 22 May 1948 Wilf Jay, Alec Grant and Charlie Spinks all scored twelve point maximums in Newcastle's 55-29 win at Edinburgh.

I know Mauger did it in 66 scored 21 and Henny Kroeze did it in 77? has anyone else done it? can remember Thomsen ( on a oversized engine scoring heavily 19/20?? points Michanek scoring 20??? beaten by Ashby when riding for the heathens.

On 4 August 1983 Rod Hunter and Joe Owen both scored paid 21 point maximums in Newcastle's 49-47 win at Oxford. In the same season they both scored full 21 point maximums - Owen at home against Mildenhall on 25 July and Hunter at Weymouth on 2 August Edited by JoeW
  • Like 1

I know Mauger did it in 66 scored 21 and Henny Kroeze did it in 77? has anyone else done it? can remember Thomsen ( on a oversized engine scoring heavily 19/20?? points Michanek scoring 20??? beaten by Ashby when riding for the heathens.

I was at that one Sid didn't Bernie Persson let us down in heat 13 riding at No1 and it ended up 40-38

Looking at these teams the league looks weaker again this coming season. Looks a lot of has been sand never will be's

I was at that one Sid didn't Bernie Persson let us down in heat 13 riding at No1 and it ended up 40-38

In 1977 Michanek scored 20 out of a 37 total. with R/R for Persson with Price and Bastable the next highest scorers on five points each.I think the year you are on about "bruno was in 1973 the score was 39-39 the Heathens were 38-34 up but Hunter and Stangeland got a 5.1 against Persson in heat 13 happy days.😂 Edited by Sidney the robin

While we are on the subject of seven ride performances, I seem to remember John Boulger picking up 20 points in one meeting - and the team (can't remember if it was Leicester or Cradley) won 40-38! I believe this is the only time one man has scored as many points as the rest of the team, and finished on the winning side.

EDIT - Just found it. In 1976, Cradley beat Reading 40-38, with Boulger recording a 21 point max...

Steve

Edited by chunky

Hiya Sid thanks for that I remember it well, well nearly.lol. I was at the Boulger meeting as well against Reading and nearly remember that. Lol. If my memory carries on like this il wake up one morning and have forgotten who went to bed

While we are on the subject of seven ride performances, I seem to remember John Boulger picking up 20 points in one meeting - and the team (can't remember if it was Leicester or Cradley) won 40-38! I believe this is the only time one man has scored as many points as the rest of the team, and finished on the winning side.

EDIT - Just found it. In 1976, Cradley beat Reading 40-38, with Boulger recording a 21 point max...

Steve

I wonder in how many seasons that feat was possible. Interesting to note that Cradley were never behind in that match.

Kenny McKinna recorded 20+1(7) at Berwick 11th September 1982. Only 19 years old at the time, youngest ever 7-ride max?

Hiya Sid thanks for that I remember it well, well nearly.lol. I was at the Boulger meeting as well against Reading and nearly remember that. Lol. If my memory carries on like this il wake up one morning and have forgotten who went to bed

Did you get to see Ivor Brown or was he before your time "bruno? Boulger and Persson were my favourites (1972 still hard to forget though Wembley) i also liked Andrews ,Gooddy,Trigg, and later Dave Perks.Then the glory days arrived Gundo, King were my favourites from that great era.

I wonder in how many seasons that feat was possible. Interesting to note that Cradley were never behind in that match.

Good question! I just wonder how and why it was possible then - seven rides, with no tac subs???

Steve

Good question! I just wonder how and why it was possible then - seven rides, with no tac subs???

Steve

You could take 2 r/r rides (and a tactical sub ride if necessary). The rule changed at the end of 1977.

You could take 2 r/r rides (and a tactical sub ride if necessary). The rule changed at the end of 1977.

Yes, but you said Cradley were never behind! That is why I said, " seven rides, with no tac subs???

Steve

Yes, but you said Cradley were never behind! That is why I said, " seven rides, with no tac subs???

Steve

In 1976 a rider with a lower average than the one for which R/R was operated could take 3 extra rides. Ironically, Boulger's average had increased above that of Persson by the following week and he would then have been restricted to just one R/R ride.

In 1976 a rider with a lower average than the one for which R/R was operated could take 3 extra rides. Ironically, Boulger's average had increased above that of Persson by the following week and he would then have been restricted to just one R/R ride.

Which means that with T/S a rider could have eight rides in 13 races.

There may be others, but Bernie Leigh certainly came out 8 times for Reading at Newport that year.

Bruce Cribb took 3 of the R/R rides for Boulger at home against Swindon in April 1976, scoring 8 points from them in his total of 17 from 7 rides, in another match the Heathens won 40-38. Bruce also took 3 R/R rides for the absent Persson in October 1976 in the home meeting against Ipswich, giving him an extra 6 points in his total of paid 16 from 7 rides.

Cribb was a busy man that season taking 8 rides in the Midland Cup match at Coventry in April (3 R/R for Boulger and a tactical ride) and 7 rides at Exeter in May (including 3 R/R for Persson).

Boulger also had 8 rides at Coventry in the league match in August, including a tactical ride and 3 replacement rides for Persson.

Edited by BL65

Aaahhhh... Thank you so much for that!

I honestly don't recall that rule (it obviously wasn't used a great deal), but I was only 14 in 1976... Sounds a bit weird now (not that there are any other weird rules in speedway) but I would say that is preferable to filling a team with a bunch of guests...

Steve

If I recall Henny Kroeze was the first rider to register a seven ride maximum (21 points) during the period under discussion when Halifax operated the R/R regulation.