British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Midland Red

10 Ride Maximum

I may be off topic in this thread, but in the 1947 season didn't Vic Duggan (Australia and Harringay) have more than 20 consecutive race wins (league matches, second-half heats and finals) from April into May? His run was only ended when then Wembley novice Split Waterman shocked the sport by beating the Australian maestro.

I may be off topic in this thread, but in the 1947 season didn't Vic Duggan (Australia and Harringay) have more than 20 consecutive race wins (league matches, second-half heats and finals) from April into May? His run was only ended when then Wembley novice Split Waterman shocked the sport by beating the Australian maestro.

If we are going to digress, what about Hans Nielsen? Away from home, he was unbeaten for the entire 1986 league season!

Steve

• Like 1

If we are going to digress, what about Hans Nielsen? Away from home, he was unbeaten for the entire 1986 league season!

Steve

Well said chunky! What is the reason then for this thread being on a 10 race factor! BTW I never knew that about Hans Nielsen. A most interesting comment. :approve:

The records show that the winning run by Vic Duggan was not April/May, but started on 23rd May, with his sequence of 39 winning rides ending with a defeat by Bill Longley on 11th June. Split Waterman beat Duggan in a scratch race final on 29th August, but that only ended a sequence of 7 consecutive wins for Vic.

Returning to an earlier tangential splinter in this thread.

Did Josh Auty set a new record tonight, albeit in unusual circumstances? He scored 13 out of his team's total of 21 (or 11 out of 19 if we ignore the TR double). 62% (or 58%).

Maybe not one to shout about eh?

Returning to an earlier tangential splinter in this thread.

Did Josh Auty set a new record tonight, albeit in unusual circumstances? He scored 13 out of his team's total of 21 (or 11 out of 19 if we ignore the TR double). 62% (or 58%).

Maybe not one to shout about eh?

I remember that in 1966 Roy Trigg scored 11 out of 15 for Hackney in a league match at Oxford which was abandoned after 6 heats. In the re-staging he scored 17 out of 27. Little surprise when he joined Oxford the following season. 28 out of 42 (67%) was not a bad effort over the two meetings.

Well said chunky! What is the reason then for this thread being on a 10 race factor! BTW I never knew that about Hans Nielsen. A most interesting comment. :approve:

I would suggest the reason for the 10 race factor is that while double headers are quite commonplace I can't think of any triple headers?
  • Like 1

Forgot this but it just came back to me in 1980 at the Abbey in the KO cup Gordon Kennett scored a full 21 point max and Kai Niemi scored 19points also.Those two scored 40 points between them out of a 46 team total , cant remember exactly maybe D.Allan would know.? Swindon rode Belle Vue a few times in the cup 1981 i think ????? Collins and Morton scored heavily Belle Vue were quite weak then they operated R/R for Derek Richardsson who was on a crazy average i think Collins got 19.?

• Like 1

Steve

I thought of mentioning this a few times but decided it was off topic. I guess you were waiting for someone to go off-topic too so you could mention it!

Hans' 12 point away average will, I suspect, never be repeated. It was quite a small league that year I remember, with half the season taken up by the League Cup. Even so, remarkable.

Never seen another rider of Neilsen's standard in league racing. Not even Mauger.

• Like 1

Forgot this but it just came back to me in 1980 at the Abbey in the KO cup Gordon Kennett scored a full 21 point max and Kai Niemi scored 19points also.Those two scored 40 points between them out of a 46 team total , cant remember exactly maybe D.Allan would know.? Swindon rode Belle Vue a few times in the cup 1981 i think ????? Collins and Morton scored heavily Belle Vue were quite weak then they operated R/R for Derek Richardsson who was on a crazy average i think Collins got 19.?

I was there Sid and remember it well!

Personally I felt that when White City closed Gordon should have moved to Swindon...going back to Eastbourne was not in his best interests in my opinion.

It actually begs the question "Did certain riders stay too long at any one track and would have benefitted with a move to help progression?"

Chris Morton readily springs to mind and I recall it was discussed that a move to Coventry was mooted...certainly would have helped his gating...but came to ought.

Malcolm Simmons comes to mind because his move to Poole pushed him further as a World Class rider.

Edited by steve roberts

Forgot this but it just came back to me in 1980 at the Abbey in the KO cup Gordon Kennett scored a full 21 point max and Kai Niemi scored 19points also.Those two scored 40 points between them out of a 46 team total

Yep, I thought about mentioning that too, but you beat me to it!

Steve

I thought of mentioning this a few times but decided it was off topic. I guess you were waiting for someone to go off-topic too so you could mention it!

Hans' 12 point away average will, I suspect, never be repeated. It was quite a small league that year I remember, with half the season taken up by the League Cup. Even so, remarkable.

Never seen another rider of Neilsen's standard in league racing. Not even Mauger.

Mauger i believe was the better league rider and i believe he rode in a era when there were more top class no 1s and most teams had really good no 2/3 riders.Did Ivan average 11.74 one year but in later years that figure was changed ??? Nielsen was a great rider and at times in his Oxford career he took the mickey he was to good ((Apart from Erik who had his number).😜

Yep, I thought about mentioning that too, but you beat me to it!

Steve

My memory is good generally Chunky' but sometimes i have a few blank moments old father time EH 😂 Kennett was brilliant at the Abbey i think we should of signed him instead of Bastable i did hear Gordon won a veterans event the other week and looked good and is still very fit. Edited by Sidney the robin

Mauger i believe was the better league rider and i believe he rode in a era when there were more top class no 1s and most teams had really good no 2/3 riders.Did Ivan average 11.74 one year but in later years that figure was changed ??? Nielsen was a great rider and at times in his Oxford career he took the mickey he was to good ((Apart from Erik who had his number).

My memory is good generally Chunky' but sometimes i have a few blank moments old father time EH Kennett was brilliant at the Abbey i think we should of signed him instead of Bastable i did hear Gordon won a veterans event the other week and looked good and is still very fit.

Hans was the better all round rider (I would say that!) and his consistently good league form was way above anybody else over a number of seasons...including Erik. Gundersen was able to raise his game when required (as was the case in a number of World Finals) but when Ivan joined Hans' camp things evened out and counter balanced the 'Olsen effect'.

Hans was the better all round rider (I would say that!) and his consistently good league form was way above anybody else over a number of seasons...including Erik. Gundersen was able to raise his game when required (as was the case in a number of World Finals) but when Ivan joined Hans' camp things evened out and counter balanced the 'Olsen effect'.

I would say Steve, Nielsen up until 85 had riders who beat him regularly ie)Lee,Carter, Penhall, Erik, with others like Knudsen,Sigalos, Morton, Sanders Moran IVAN never had that only a handfull if lucky beat him.