British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Speedwaycrazy

Fixture Cut Off Date...has It Been Extended?

The cut-off date has already been extended once from Sept 4th to 6th. I can't see it being extended again as there is precedent for it from previous seasons.

Maybe make any outstanding fixtures a draw with 1 point to the home team and 2 points to the away team?? ;-)

i wish youd stop slagging matt off all the time starman

perhaps he doesn't realize! !
  • Like 2

Skidder1, on 20 Aug 2017 - 11:22 AM, said:

The cut-off date has already been extended once from Sept 4th to 6th. I can't see it being extended again as there is precedent for it from previous seasons.

Maybe make any outstanding fixtures a draw with 1 point to the home team and 2 points to the away team?? ;-)

There shouldn't be any outstanding fixtures. Teams have gone week after week without holding a meeting when there used to be regular weekly meetings. With our usual Bank Holiday weather, what happens next week if the double headers are off.

Lol!

Faced with the incontrovertible evidence of the devastating effect the qualifier and cup format has had on attendances hardly anybody bothers to defend it anymore!

The crowds for the qualifiers have been hit really hard this season. Great example was at Leicester on Saturday. There would have been several coach loads of Aces fans had the result mattered but it didn't. Belle Vue would have been rammed tonight and Friday but both gates will be less than average (only around 400 advanced grandstand tickets sold for tonight!), just like last season our attendances have dropped off a cliff after pretty much assuring qualification.

Add in that last years cup winners are having to sell riders to make up for their crap support as their fans can't be bothered supporting their team because "is all about what happens in the playoffs". Even the unusual suspects have wound their necks in when it comes to the super dooper qualifier and cup format.

Ah but it makes the league far more interesting with most having something to fight for still, not the top three as their place is safe. Coach loads going to Leicester on a Saturday, really!

You forgot to mention my rubbish stirring, how remiss of you!

Edited by foreverblue

I agree it is more interesting but like your claim that top is important there is little to be gained financially when fans tell us that it is only the play offs that matter. Wolves fans seem to have bought into the cup and qualifier concept as their crap support in the qualifiers this season testifies.

Yep, been there done that at plenty of Saturday night tracks when top mattered and finishing 4th wasn't that interesting.

Lol! You even managed a bit of rubbish stirring by referring to your rubbish stirring.

Well top is important but as you have no chance of achieving that then I suppose that doesn't matter anymore. I expect Wolves to be packed for the play offs but they too have no chance of gaining the top spot so I expect that has a bearing on attendances.

Maybe their have been plenty going to away tracks on a Saturday in the past but Leicester especially with their crap team, not inspiring is it, play offs or not.

I think my rubbish stirring comment worked don't you.

• Like 1

Lol!

Faced with the incontrovertible evidence of the devastating effect the qualifier and cup format has had on attendances hardly anybody bothers to defend it anymore!

The crowds for the qualifiers have been hit really hard this season. Great example was at Leicester on Saturday. There would have been several coach loads of Aces fans had the result mattered but it didn't. Belle Vue would have been rammed tonight and Friday but both gates will be less than average (only around 400 advanced grandstand tickets sold for tonight!), just like last season our attendances have dropped off a cliff after pretty much assuring qualification.

Add in that last years cup winners are having to sell riders to make up for their crap support as their fans can't be bothered supporting their team because "is all about what happens in the playoffs". Even the unusual suspects have wound their necks in when it comes to the super dooper qualifier and cup format.

Think City vs Everton will have the biggest impact on the gate. Travel to BV for a 7:30 start is a bit of a nightmare with City game at 8 - looking at alternative routes for tonight.

You couldn't answer this last time but what is the point of something being important if it doesn't attract more fans?

?? The coaches of fans from Belle Vue wouldn't have been there to support Leicester but, as was always the case, when a team fighting for top (if we can sneak a win tonight Belle Vue will be top of both their leagues again) is in town a big crowd was guaranteed, not anymore though. Fans who think top is still important don't bother in the same numbers as they used to for some reason.

I can always rely on you to rubbish stir.

You won't be top tonight as Swindon are riding at home against Kings Lynn. I know the fans from Belle Vue wouldn't be there to support Leicester, I meant as you were riding against a crap team it would not inspire many to go and watch a one sided meeting. Numbers have reduced drastically in recent years, in my view many get excited by the start of the season but by the end of the season enthusiasm wanes. The play offs themselves attract more fans but even the play offs don't seem to attract as many fans as they have in previous years, I don't know the answer to get the lost fans back but I don't think getting rid of the play offs is it.

I know it doesn't matter but we did win and we are top of both our leagues, for the next few minutes at least.

If it doesnt matter why mention it your not top now

So, BT sport announced the playoff finals are now first week of October. Does that mean 'semi finals' will be 18th and 25th. So cut off can be around 14th?

So, BT sport announced the playoff finals are now first week of October. Does that mean 'semi finals' will be 18th and 25th. So cut off can be around 14th?

Final has been brought forward, was originally 9 & 11 October, now. 2 & 4.

Semi finals were 11, 18 & 25 which was bit strange. Can't see why they couldn't just do 18 & 25

Final has been brought forward, was originally 9 & 11 October, now. 2 & 4.

Semi finals were 11, 18 & 25 which was bit strange. Can't see why they couldn't just do 18 & 25

Because they then have 3 broadcast dates instead of 2, 4 would have been better but that is up to BT.

It does seem strange bringing the finals back from 9 and 11 to 2 and 4, as if there is bad weather etc in the next week or so, many clubs will not finish all their meetings in time for the semis. It would have been better to have the semis later and keep the 9th and 11th as an option.

I gather BT aren't keen to do what Sky used to do with the semi-finals ie show both on the same night!!

• Like 2

I gather BT aren't keen to do what Sky used to do with the semi-finals ie show both on the same night!!

Maybe they have only got one set of cameras :D

• Like 1

Good!

• Like 3