British Speedway Forum
Chris116

Promotion And Relegation

other than Glasgow I can't really think of anyone who'd want to get involved with the top league and even then they'd be giving up derbies galore and would they be welcome in the top league (even as I type this I've forgotten what its called) - they're miles away from most of the other teams

If Glasgow where to get promoted would they look to change their race night to avoid clashes with GPs and other continental meetings , would fans be as keen to turn up in numbers on a weekday evening , it would certainly affect the amount of traveling supporters attending meetings

Glasgow are only just viable at the moment with current crowd levels and with the overall lack of interest in speedway from the general public nationwide, I do not believe they would automatically get a regular crowd boost even if they do go up. They do have great owners with deep pockets but also good business sense and would be unlikely too throw too much cash away, if they see it's a lost cause. There is so little real difference between the two top leagues that there is no true "star" pull left.

Why on earth would we want to leave an essentially northern league to move into a predominately southern league ? Makes no economic sense .

If it was to move up and watch the sport's top stars every week , then maybe , but we get to see 90% of the riders performing in the top division anyway

Edited by Paulco
  • Like 6

The meetings are still in the fixture list, 9 & 11 of October so they been moved back. Will they go ahead?

Team Speedway is a sideshow and always has been. It could be developed into a sport but that would need consensus at the top and it's never happened. It's one of a number of pseudo sports where rules are about increasing a very superficial entertainment value rather than introducing a pure sporting integrity. I am not expressing an opinion on this either way because in my opinion the most important improvement would be to improve the closeness of the racing and presentation of stadiums and meetings, so to a certain extent, I enjoy the sideshow aspect of it.

When promotion and relegation is introduced, it is always a cosmetic exercise to entice serious sports fans in but cannot possibly work becasue Speedway does not have enough integrity.

• Like 1

The meetings are still in the fixture list, 9 & 11 of October so they been moved back. Will they go ahead?

Possibly not, according to Philip Rising the latest idea is to increase the Premiership to twelve clubs by inviting Championship sides in, there was no mention as to what would happen to the remaining six Championship sides though.

• Like 1

Possibly not, according to Philip Rising the latest idea is to increase the Premiership to twelve clubs by inviting Championship sides in, there was no mention as to what would happen to the remaining six Championship sides though.

ONE of many ideas but in my opinion not feasible. As you say, that would lave the Championship looking for NL tracks to move up. One league seems the most sensible solution to ensure that all tracks and riders have enough fixtures.

With little or no prospect of TV income, one hurdle has been eradicated.

• Like 1

I have no doubt that 'who cares' will be the prevailing attitude.

As long as the Top League is catered for, in many people's minds, that is all that matters.

Very sad but very true.

• Like 1

I have no doubt that 'who cares' will be the prevailing attitude.

As long as the Top League is catered for, in many people's minds, that is all that matters.

Very sad but very true.

Not sad at all . I fear league speedway is disintegrating before our eyes . Doubling up has spiralled out of control , rider availability ( or lack of it ) has made rescheduling postponed fixtures virtually impossible .

For league speedway to survive I feel a top league of 14 or 16 teams is really the only option , with a second tier of who doesn't want to be in the top league or can't afford to be . It's not a case of just catering for a top league , it's trying to make sure league speedway doesn't completely self destruct .

• Like 2

Not sad at all . I fear league speedway is disintegrating before our eyes . Doubling up has spiralled out of control , rider availability ( or lack of it ) has made rescheduling postponed fixtures virtually impossible .

For league speedway to survive I feel a top league of 14 or 16 teams is really the only option , with a second tier of who doesn't want to be in the top league or can't afford to be . It's not a case of just catering for a top league , it's trying to make sure league speedway doesn't completely self destruct .

I would argue that the Championship/Premier League has done very nicely thank you over the last few years on it's own. The only people who want to change things by and large are the Elite/Premiership League. They are the ones taking Riders from Championship Teams. Now they are trying to take Teams from the Championship too. I certainly hope that this does NOT happen.

Doubling down should all be stopped.

• Like 1

I would argue that the Championship/Premier League has done very nicely thank you over the last few years on it's own. The only people who want to change things by and large are the Elite/Premiership League. They are the ones taking Riders from Championship Teams. Now they are trying to take Teams from the Championship too. I certainly hope that this does NOT happen.

While that is true, surely the purpose of the championship should be to provide a stepping stone between the NL and the Premiership. That hasn't worked as it should for a long time and we even had the situation where Draft riders went straight into the Elite, because the second division had been allowed to become it's own little empire and declined to take them. We now approach rumour time and hopefully the leagues will become one or the Championship will continue it's intended purpose and supply riders to above, while accommodating riders from below. With such small differences between the leagues currently, I'd go with amalgamation.

• Like 1

But generally crowds in our division are pretty poor . Places like Scunthorpe , Berwick and Workington are racing in front of only a few hundred souls at best , and that is unsustainable . And the cancer of riders being missing for whatever reason has crept into the second tier more and more .

Lack of sustained weekly fixtures is harming the second tier far too much too , which also impacts on crowds . So to think that everything in the Championship garden is rosy couldn't be farther from the truth .

• Like 2

But generally crowds in our division are pretty poor . Places like Scunthorpe , Berwick and Workington are racing in front of only a few hundred souls at best , and that is unsustainable . And the cancer of riders being missing for whatever reason has crept into the second tier more and more .

Lack of sustained weekly fixtures is harming the second tier far too much too , which also impacts on crowds . So to think that everything in the Championship garden is rosy couldn't be farther from the truth .

Quite funny really,seeing as he doesn't go because of the terrible rules.........

While that is true, surely the purpose of the championship should be to provide a stepping stone between the NL and the Premiership. That hasn't worked as it should for a long time and we even had the situation where Draft riders went straight into the Elite, because the second division had been allowed to become it's own little empire and declined to take them. We now approach rumour time and hopefully the leagues will become one or the Championship will continue it's intended purpose and supply riders to above, while accommodating riders from below. With such small differences between the leagues currently, I'd go with amalgamation.

That would certainly be better than the alternative. Making the Premiership stronger ant the expense of the Championship is a none starter for me. The Premiership has got itself in to it's own particular mess regarding number of Teams in it. Why should the Championship be turned in to a worse and less competative League just because the Premiership can't get enough Teams. Four Clubs out of the Championship would wreck it - and more to the point, the powers that be know that. They did enough damage this year.

Quite funny really,seeing as he doesn't go because of the terrible rules.........

This was a decent Debate until you arrived. Have you nothing positive/negative to contribute as usual?

This was a decent Debate until you arrived. Have you nothing positive/negative to contribute as usual?

You are a hypocrite.You say the Championship is super.Done very nice.Leave it alone.Yet don't go because of the rules!!!!! :rofl:

And when it was pointed out that the NL doesn't have the rules that keep you away,you have another excuse ready......clown!!

Edited by iris123

You are a hypocrite.You say the Championship is super.Done very nice.Leave it alone.Yet don't go because of the rules!!!!! :rofl:

At least I can stand by my principles.

You can't even Debate without getting personal.

I'll leave the more intelligent on this Forum to make that judgement.

• Like 1