British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
RedcarB123

Redcar V Edinburgh 24/8/17

The big problem at Newcastle is the shape, needs widening all around therefore reducing the straights length

We took the 1st and 2nd bends in 2 metres in about 1999, and Mad Dog said we had ruined the track. We could take 2 metres off all 4 bends and the straights would still be long.

We took the 1st and 2nd bends in 2 metres in about 1999, and Mad Dog said we had ruined the track. We could take 2 metres off all 4 bends and the straights would still be long.

In all fairness 1999 is a long time ago, man and machine have moved on a lot since then. Modern bikes can reach quite a speed on the Newcastle straights which creates a problem getting round the corners, or if your not so brave it means shutting off halfway down the straight.

• Like 1

The guy who does yours does ours as well. :lol:

Well, there you go. I didn't know that. Every day we learn. Thanks for the info.

Well, there you go. I didn't know that. Every day we learn. Thanks for the info.

I am referring to Jonny Swales who is our Track Curator. He also is second man to your usual TC, and he has been there whenever I have been this year. I think the new promotion had a better chance of getting him back than the previous. :P

In all fairness 1999 is a long time ago, man and machine have moved on a lot since then. Modern bikes can reach quite a speed on the Newcastle straights which creates a problem getting round the corners, or if your not so brave it means shutting off halfway down the straight.

Yes. The added speed with the new breed of laydowns means you have to know how to turn the bike more so that at rounder tracks. Edinburgh, Lakeside, ipswich, etc, all have the need to turn the bike hard, but they don't have such long straights. The only compatible track to us was the previous Belle Vue at Kirky Lane.

In saying that I still don't get the 'thing' about the banked 3rd and 4th bends at Redcar. Done apparently on Havvy jnr's request it was tying to recreate the same corners at Odsal. Very rarely seen any real genuine passing as if the outside guy is flat out, he is never going to catch the inside rider flat out as well. It might be fast but it's not racing. Seen more serious crashes coming off the 4th bend at speed, in the earlier days, than any other track I have been to. 1st and 2nd are genuine corners for racing, after the bends were reworked under Glyn.

Edited by Tsunami

I am referring to Jonny Swales who is our Track Curator. He also is second man to your usual TC, and he has been there whenever I have been this year. I think the new promotion had a better chance of getting him back than the previous. :P

Yes. The added speed with the new breed of laydowns means you have to know how to turn the bike more so that at rounder tracks. Edinburgh, Lakeside, ipswich, etc, all have the need to turn the bike hard, but they don't have such long straights. The only compatible track to us was the previous Belle Vue at Kirky Lane.

In saying that I still don't get the 'thing' about the banked 3rd and 4th bends at Redcar. Done apparently on Havvy jnr's request it was tying to recreate the same corners at Odsal. Very rarely seen any real genuine passing as if the outside guy is flat out, he is never going to catch the inside rider flat out as well. It might be fast but it's not racing. Seen more serious crashes coming off the 4th bend at speed, in the earlier days, than any other track I have been to. 1st and 2nd are genuine corners for racing, after the bends were reworked under Glyn.

What are you using there, Daiwa, Korda or maybe Nash? :rolleyes:

The big problem at Newcastle is the shape, needs widening all around therefore reducing the straights length

Talk to the stadium owners. Won't allow Newcastle to do anything to their precious centre green.

The banking at Redcar can produce great overtakes, as has been previously mentioned the main problem at all tracks are these lay down flat out machines which take the rider rather than vice versa .

The days of throttle control have gone because of the desires for sheer speed which rarely makes for better racing.

"....there are plenty of lines, it is a great race track..."

nice quote about Redcar, who from? Ricky Wells following his excellent performance last night

• Like 1

Congratulations to the Red Cars.

We had enough heat winners but not enough support.

Actually, I thought the Monarchs, were a little unlucky, in this one. This should have been an even closer contest. Ricky Wells fall while leading and Erik Riss's ef whilst also leading did Embro no favours. Plus Pickering and Davey deserved better returns for their efforts. However, the Monarchs did benefit, from the tactical ride and Proctors fall in ht 13 which prevented a Bears 5 _ 1. The rerun yielded a Bears 4 _ 2. All in all a good speedway match.

• Like 3

a track curator can only prepare a track how the promotion or riders require it. Track shape & camber are inbuilt. We have Graham Trollope who does Sheffield's track, again 2 completely different tracks and shapes & requirements.

I'm a bit late here but Eddie Kennett when riding for Berwick put in some magnificent passes on the 3rd and 4th bend at Redcar on a difficult night.
  • Like 1

I'm a bit late here but Eddie Kennett when riding for Berwick put in some magnificent passes on the 3rd and 4th bend at Redcar on a difficult night.

yes, but that was awhile ago, same as when Richie Hall rode well there. It's not the same now.

I don't think the problem is with Newcastle, it is the riders who come to Newcastle and can't ride the track properly. If all tracks were the same it would be pretty boring. Cookie, Worrall (both), Lambert and Wells never seem to struggle and nor does Ben Barker. You can see the riders that adapt and have adapted to the shape of the track and they are rewarded for doing so. The Redcar track over the last few years has been terrible, a complete gate and go track, it is much better now.

You cause has just been helped on Sunday by the fact we have no Lambert and no facility to cover him. Bloody Poles!!!

• Like 1

Talk to the stadium owners. Won't allow Newcastle to do anything to their precious centre green.

It's under new ownership, so who knows?

I don't think the problem is with Newcastle, it is the riders who come to Newcastle and can't ride the track properly. If all tracks were the same it would be pretty boring. Cookie, Worrall (both), Lambert and Wells never seem to struggle and nor does Ben Barker. You can see the riders that adapt and have adapted to the shape of the track and they are rewarded for doing so. The Redcar track over the last few years has been terrible, a complete gate and go track, it is much better now.

You cause has just been helped on Sunday by the fact we have no Lambert and no facility to cover him. Bloody Poles!!!

Same scenario at Armadale,riders just can't adapt even though they have been coming for years.
  • Like 1