British Speedway Forum
flagrag

Relegation And Promotion Play Offs

Some of the comments on here are so far off the mark they are untrue. Sheffield, as like any other speedway team, were always going to struggle when their top two riders are missing. and so it turned out. I have always liked Sheffield's track, and have seen some unbelievable racing there. Because of recent usage and poor weather, last night it was not conducive for good racing and favours the gaters. That was not a true reflection on the standard of racing that can be seen there. There were still one or two good races with stunning moves round the boards though....

The gulf between the two leagues is getting smaller each year, I believe Nilsson was the only Leicester rider who don't ride in the 2nd division, and all the rest have vast experience of Sheffield track. Apart from the missing riders, the biggest difference last night was the quality of the reserves. Had the two teams swapped their 6/7's, the result would have been much closer. I thought Graversen and Wood struggled to show through, although Graversen did pick it up by the end.

Not having been to Owlerton since Michael Lee was racing the likes of Dougie Wyer, Reg Wilson, Bob Valentine, Arnold Haley and Bengt Larsson it brought back some wonderful memories of the days when speedway had a true chevalier existence......... . Having seen all the current tracks used in the top league, they have nothing to be afraid of. I for one would love to see Sheffield back in the top division, a place where they belong....

• Like 3

The difference that showed was that the Leicester riders were nearly always at the first bend in front and this is the principle difference between the leagues in my view. Passing was definitely at a premium though and when a Sheffield rider gated they also did well. Well done to Leicester - is Sheffield always a gate and go place?

The difference that showed was that the Leicester riders were nearly always at the first bend in front and this is the principle difference between the leagues in my view. Passing was definitely at a premium though and when a Sheffield rider gated they also did well. Well done to Leicester - is Sheffield always a gate and go place?

The main difference was having two heat leaders from the Championship at reserve for Leicester, and one a guest! If they had NL riders at 6 and 7 there would have been a big difference. That shows the farce of the thing. AND will Bjerre be riding for Leicester next week. Perhaps Nicholls will swap sides as well. All adds up to the joke

Seeing as the aim of British Speedway is for the top 2 leagues to be closer in team strengths, can we expect a further watering down of the top league next year?

If people thought that was dull... they should have been at the Pairs the day before, a total borefest

Comedy moment of the night for me was when Josh Bates mentioned in his interview that he also rode for Leicester, he obviously hadn't read the script... he mentioned it once, but he think he got away with it, I half expected to see a tumbleweed blow across the screen :D

• Like 2

They don't want the inconvenience of riding in our leagues for the money we can afford to pay , got nothing to do with racenights , offer more money than Poland and they would be glad to ride here on Sundays if the was the big payday . you live in a bit of a fantasy if you think any of them would ride for the sake of gratitude or loyalty , these people are what in the modern era call themselves speedway riders .they are a far cry from real speedway riders of old though .

Switched it off after 8 heats , wont be bothering at all next Monday. dissapointing as I have seen some cracking racing at Sheffield

Nobody, least of all me, has ever suggested that the riders would ride here instead of Poland, It was always a scenario of 'and' , not 'instead of'. So it has everything to do with racenights If we were to arrange our fixtures on different night than the Poles, the Swedes and the Danes then probably top riders would have continued to ride here. That was before the Poles put a 3 team restriction on their riders.....

The only fantasy here, is what you thought I wrote, instead of the actual comment. I am so aware that most riders are grabbing Ba-----ds and care nothing for the sport, only what they earn.....

Enjoyed watching the people in tigers uniform getting beat, unfortunately teams don't exist these days, just a group of riders in the same vests, the people in Lions vests rode very well.

Looking forward to a similar thing happening next monday.

• Like 1

OK guys and gals - how many times will Woffy get a mention on BT Sports tonight?!

Ok I own up. I couldn't count the 'Woffys' as I kept nodding off. But I was also surprised at the number of times Nigel said Yes very much so' after Kelvin had made a decent observation - well into double figures!! - And that was only in the bits I was actually awake for!!

I'm not sure whats worse - the fact that I started counting or that I'm sharing it on here??! :rofl::party::t:

Roll on March 2018.

• Like 2

Actually I thought the meeting was about par for the course. No better or worse than 100’s of others I have seen both on TV and live. Ask yourself, seriously, looking at the two teams on the night what did you expect. I’m afraid that is the way modern day speedway in the uk is. There is very little or nothing you can do to change it. No one is forcing anyone to go or watch it on TV . It’s your choice, if it upsets you that much go and find another sport to support. If there isn’t sufficient interest and financial return to run teams on a professional basis in the uk, then so be it.

It is what it says on the tin...........it’s up to you if you buy the tin or not.

Enjoyed watching the people in tigers uniform getting beat, unfortunately teams don't exist these days, just a group of riders in the same vests, the people in Lions vests rode very well.

Looking forward to a similar thing happening next monday.

We're getting closer to the American form of racing than ever, individual events. But when there is a complete lack of personalities, how can you foster a fondness for any one rider? I'd watch Tennis, Golf etc if I liked the man and not the team.

I got into speedway because, unlike other motorsports, it was primarily a team sport... with individual events thrown in for good measure.

But now it seems to have gone the ways of putting the team ethic second, what riders can come together on one day for the "team." I feel torn. I can't watch a team match because the team thing is no more; I can't do the GPs, as I see no one in it who I see firstly as my club rider, as they have so many clubs. Loyalty to my team is no more. So why should I be interested in these riders racing individual events?

I know I rarely have anything positive to say about present-day speedway... but, come on, I am not the only one judging by many posters on here. In fact, many are from fans who know the rulebook cover to cover (yawn) and yet miss the point that it should be, firstly, a simple sport with strong foundations.

Another winter of promised dreams will lie in shatters come next Spring.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 2

Actually I thought the meeting was about par for the course. No better or worse than 100’s of others I have seen both on TV and live. Ask yourself, seriously, looking at the two teams on the night what did you expect. I’m afraid that is the way modern day speedway in the uk is. There is very little or nothing you can do to change it. No one is forcing anyone to go or watch it on TV . It’s your choice, if it upsets you that much go and find another sport to support. If there isn’t sufficient interest and financial return to run teams on a professional basis in the uk, then so be it.

It is what it says on the tin...........it’s up to you if you buy the tin or not.

quite agree i thought it was a decent meeting. we all know the bspa is not fit for purpose i just saw it as another meeting on tv

Edited by ray c

quite agrre i thought it was a decent meeting. we all know the bspa is not fit for purpose i just saw it as another meeting on tv

I also believe not much should be read into the gulf in scores. The so-called Promotion-Relegation match is merely bait for punters to hand over a few more quids. If Sheffield wanted to come up, I suspect there are easier ways than winning a two-legged speedway match. If Leicester wanted to go down, they wouldn't have to lose it. They could just apply.

Really... to be honest, there was nothing to race for.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 1

Maybe I'm being unduly optimistic considering the recent history of the BSPA's attempts to rejuvenate the sport, some might say stupid but I think fixed nights might just solve many of the problems of team identity. Unless of course the BSPA manage to think of something to mess it up!

So it looks like Sheffield wont win the promotion battle (by some distance). So that means they wont be in the Premiership next season except this is Speedway and anything can happen :rolleyes:

But do they want to be, that is the question