British Speedway Forum
flagrag

Relegation And Promotion Play Offs

Pretty surreal to have a trophy for finishing bottom of the league and avoiding relegation!

Would have been more appropriate if somebody had bought a Mickey Mouse toy and presented that instead.

So a future strategy for clubs is to aim low, because it's a good shot at getting a Pot.

Any suggestions as to a name for this trophy??

Pretty surreal to have a trophy for finishing bottom of the league and avoiding relegation!

Would have been more appropriate if somebody had bought a Mickey Mouse toy and presented that instead.

So a future strategy for clubs is to aim low, because it's a good shot at getting a Pot.

'The Worst Team in The League Trophy'. Which clown thought a trophy was in order i wonder, speedway just gets gets more and more ridiculous by the day :rolleyes:

• Like 3

Surely its 'The Wooden Spoon'. ( or has that been deemed unacceptable by the PC brigade, so that no one can be upset by being the looser, - ?)

• Like 1

'The Worst Team in The League Trophy'. Which clown thought a trophy was in order i wonder, speedway just gets gets more and more ridiculous by the day :rolleyes:

I was expecting Eddie The Eagle to present it.

Come to think of it, that could be a good name for it.....

• Like 2

It is all rather sad and pathetic.

Having a Trophy for this farce of a meeting/s.

Speedway !!!! :nono:

• Like 1

It's a shame Leicester Comedy festival isn't on until February.

This farce would have won the Perrier Award

I thought that the racing in both legs was poor ( 7 races out of 30 were what I rate as good, close races ) and for the casual non speedway viewer a bad advert for going to watch a live match. First away shown up as being mostly true.And it was carefully avoided that the same promotion runs both clubs and that it is likely that both will be "promoted" in 2018.

Edited by waytogo28

Don't know about the Sheffield leg because I wasn't there and haven't got BT Sport, but I agree about the racing last night which was pretty boring and not how it usually is. Perhaps there is something to be said for staying in the Premier League afterall.

Hang on, don't the winners of the football playoffs get a trophy? That could be the team that finished 6th.

How come the winners of the league in most sports, don't get a trophy but do if they win the playoff?

Just saying. Not as rediculas as it is.

• Like 2

I find it odd that people are commenting about the quality of racing last night as it was actually better than what you get at most tracks. Still not great but that's 21st century British Speedway for you.

The changes to the track have improved the racing without doubt. Hopefully the changes this winter won't ruin what has gone on before.

Hang on, don't the winners of the football playoffs get a trophy? That could be the team that finished 6th.

How come the winners of the league in most sports, don't get a trophy but do if they win the playoff?

The football play offs don't include the team that came bottom of their league, you may have overlooked that fact..

• Like 2

Uhmm, come on then, apart from Speedway, list them please!!

The football play offs don't include the team that came bottom of their league, you may have overlooked that fact..

The team at the bottom gets relegated, no other sport I know of gets a trophy or stays in the league for finishing bottom, a top six side in the league below are in the play offs but that is for promotion not relegation, most if not all other sports don't have play offs to avoid being relegated.

• Like 3

The team at the bottom gets relegated, no other sport I know of gets a trophy or stays in the league for finishing bottom, a top six side in the league below are in the play offs but that is for promotion not relegation, most if not all other sports don't have play offs to avoid being relegated.

Rugby League certainly does. The bottom four in the Super League play off with the top four of the Championship for four places in Super League. Scottish football also has play offs to decide promotion/relegation.

It was tried once in English football, as my team managed to beat Leeds United from the second division to retain their place in the top flight. Can't remember if we got a trophy for it though.

Rugby League certainly does. The bottom four in the Super League play off with the top four of the Championship for four places in Super League. Scottish football also has play offs to decide promotion/relegation.

It was tried once in English football, as my team managed to beat Leeds United from the second division to retain their place in the top flight. Can't remember if we got a trophy for it though.

Is there any team strength limitation or doubling up in RL though?