British Speedway Forum
flagrag

Relegation And Promotion Play Offs

Don't bother doing the lottery this week as your prediction was way out about a sparse/low crowd because it looked pretty good to me. A lot of tracks would be happy to get an attendance like that, especially for a pretty unimportant fixture as the result was never in doubt and having to brave horrible weather.

I don't know about being anywhere near the stands but I was also worried about the lights which were rocking around in the high wind. :shock:

Interesting that you say that because it looked an awful crowd on BT, I suppose we will soon know because if they lost money on it no doubt it will be binned for next year.

Interesting that you say that because it looked an awful crowd on BT, I suppose we will soon know because if they lost money on it no doubt it will be binned for next year.

Apparently Belle Vue was packed, just shows when it means something people turn up.

Rugby League certainly does. The bottom four in the Super League play off with the top four of the Championship for four places in Super League. Scottish football also has play offs to decide promotion/relegation.

It was tried once in English football, as my team managed to beat Leeds United from the second division to retain their place in the top flight. Can't remember if we got a trophy for it though.

Oh right didn't know that, doubt there is a trophy though.

If the leagues stay the same next year no relegation playoffs please, its so stupid.

Because the year after ,both teams will build up or build down to suit their league.

Whats the point of it at all.

Its time the annual general meeting had ALL the teams in Britain to

vote on a 3 year plan to get speedway back on track!!!

Trophy for relegation playoffs HA HA HA.

Watched the footy and speedway side to side on my laptop

then muted Pearson when needed..............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apparently Belle Vue was packed, just shows when it means something people turn up.

It wasn't packed. There was a good crowd considering the number of guests, Cook's absence and the very strong cold wind. It's difficult to tell but I would think easily 1500 plus.

Have to say I was pleasantly surprised to see the Car Park Full sign up when I got to BP last night only to then find out about half of it was taken up by THE CIRCUS resident on the ground adjacent to the stadium ... lol !!

Is there any team strength limitation or doubling up in RL though?

Not an expert on Rugby League, but I believe they have a salary cap, which acts as a limitation.

Have to say I was pleasantly surprised to see the Car Park Full sign up when I got to BP last night only to then find out about half of it was taken up by THE CIRCUS resident on the ground adjacent to the stadium ... lol !!

So there was one circus next to another circus

• Like 3

Plenty of us said that last night.

Crowd looked good because the stands were closed (due to the high winds). I reckon less than 650 adults last night.

Plenty of us said that last night.

Crowd looked good because the stands were closed (due to the high winds). I reckon less than 650 adults last night.

Dont forget that this fixture was originally planned for last week.

The Play/Off was a waste of time because if Sheffield or for that matter any other team wanted to join the Top League for 2018 they would be welcomed with open arms. that has been stated at the beginning of the season (Im sure) They worked hard to keep Coventry and also Leicester and Belle Vue The Coventry Promoters prevented them coming in.

I don't think we can judge the response on that because surely it will be binned next year anyway......hopefully. :) Perhaps I am mistaken then because I haven't seen the match on BT and as the stands were unavailable more people were around the terraces than normal making me think it was a good attendance. If you are correct and it was a poor crowd it wouldn't be that surprising with the City playing, the match on TV, horrible weather, outcome a foregone conclusion and riding on a Monday rather than the usual Saturday. Must admit I enjoyed the Peterborough v Glasgow match much more.

Was there any clowns there..................................or did the MC watch the meeting on TV?!!!

• Like 1

To me Belle Vue has stood head and shoulders above the rest as they retained their original team they started with. Swindon and Wolves were both strengthened beyond recognition, using 2nd division averages as were the BSPA instruction..

With respect, that's a load of old tosh.

Belle Vue brought in Rohan Tungate - beating Swindon to his signature.

Swindon changed one position - the same as Belle Vue. They couldn't get Tungate so went with a second choice - who turned out to be better due to an old EL average rather than a second division one.

Edited by grachan
  • Like 6