British Speedway Forum
flagrag

Relegation And Promotion Play Offs

My understanding from speaking to the Leicester promotion in the event of any clashes with riders have same teams in relegation meetings is that they were expecting that riders would ride for the home team so at Sheffield Bates and Bjerre as Tigers and then at Leicester for the Lions.

I am a little surprised that the promotors have dropped this idea as financially it would have been a good money earner for both clubs as Leicester fans generally travel well especially if it was against Sheffield or Ipswich

Hahahaha...that's hilarious, even for speedway!!

So if this has been dropped, what was the point of bringing the strength of the leagues closer together?

I was looking forward to the imaginative approach the BSPA would take to a Leicester v Ipswich or Sheffield promotion/ relegation tie.

Who would Danny King, Kyle Newman, Lasse Bjerre or Josh Bates ride for?

Surely you do as the rules say? King and Newman ride for Ipswich, Bjerre and Bates for Sheffield. Because they're the teams that have priority.

Honestly not sure why this is so hard to work out.

Actually I believe that the rider will simply ride for both teams. On heats where he is out for both teams he will be considered to have a dead heat with himself and his points will count for both teams (e.g. If he finishes first both teams will get 2.5 points)

• Like 4

Surely you do as the rules say? King and Newman ride for Ipswich, Bjerre and Bates for Sheffield. Because they're the teams that have priority.

Honestly not sure why this is so hard to work out.

So if it's rained off and re-arranged who gets prority as it's a rearranged fixture?

So if it's rained off and re-arranged who gets prority as it's a rearranged fixture?

Nobody, as the fixture planners will no doubt schedule it for a date when none of those riders are available, so guests/r/r will be used instead.
  • Like 2

Actually I believe that the rider will simply ride for both teams. On heats where he is out for both teams he will be considered to have a dead heat with himself and his points will count for both teams (e.g. If he finishes first both teams will get 2.5 points)

Just to put a dampener on your idea, .5 points don't happen any more, as the Referees' software on their laptops isn't configured to cater for half a point.

My understanding from speaking to the Leicester promotion in the event of any clashes with riders have same teams in relegation meetings is that they were expecting that riders would ride for the home team so at Sheffield Bates and Bjerre as Tigers and then at Leicester for the Lions.

I am a little surprised that the promotors have dropped this idea as financially it would have been a good money earner for both clubs as Leicester fans generally travel well especially if it was against Sheffield or Ipswich

Nope, laps 1&2 for one team with his position at end of lap 2 counting for one team, tear off helmet colour then laps 3&4 for the other team...........Simples.

• Like 1

So that will have to be the away leg then. Unless the Swindon riders are doubling up as greyhounds as well.

Could use a couple of them as guests! :lol:

Just to put a dampener on your idea, .5 points don't happen any more, as the Referees' software on their laptops isn't configured to cater for half a point.

Mine is

They could, of course, upgrade to Windows Pen and Paper

or

speak to me

• Like 1

They could, of course, upgrade to Windows Pen and Paper

or

speak to me

Just give them a programme to fill in

Just give them a programme to fill in

That is what I was implying.

Actually a footnote in the electronic programme is all that's needed along the lines of "A and B dead heated in heat 7 so A's score and his team score are reduced by half a point and vice versa for B". Assuming the half point doesn't alter the outcome or league points and so on, this should suffice. Of course some nerd will point out that it may alter the bonus points scored. Yes it is possible to score half a bonus point. And, of course, if we ignore the half points in the official stats, the teams' points differences aren't quite right in the league tables which could (very unlikely) alter their league position. And then we get into rider averages. Ignoring a half point could just alter a riders' eligibility for a team in a redeclaration. And the real purists will squirm if we suggest that the historic records are not absolutely correct. The problems go on and on. Maybe the answer is to arrange the same two riders to meet again in the same meeting and magically have another dead heat. Then the half points would cancel out.

TBH half points have always been a bit of a drag. We remember Bryan Seery, don't we, complaining in the Star when there was a dead heat because it messed up his stats for the rest of the season.

Maybe we should adopt the FIM rule and declare dead heats are a no, no and the ref has to declare a winner. Actually, Is this still an FIM rule or did I dream that dead heats are now allowed in the GPs etc.? I hope not because I have a whole set of spreadsheets that will need altering to accommodate half points :o

And finally......

Who believes in Sod's Law? If it can happen, it will. I've been around the sport nearly 50 years and I'm fairly sure it hasn't happened in that time....

A three way dead heat.

On the face of it, it isn't that bad. 3 riders tie for 1st place, each get 2 points. 3 riders tie for second place, each get 1 point.

But what about the bonus points?

• Like 2