British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
greyhoundp

Iow V Bv Colts 22/08/2017

I can't get all this feeling sorry for Jack Smith and Dan Bewley. It's their job they are two young fit lads who will be riding less than 10 minutes a night ... Yes it's alot of traveling but I bet there are lots of men who work 12 hours a day 7 days a week on building sites etc who would love to swap places with them and sit in a van and travel the length and breadth of the country to do something they love doing

In fairness to Dan Bewley he was setting off by road to Latvia for the U21 European final so his absence is understandable.

• Like 2

The island have the best promotion in speedway, sadly the worst side too

I quite agree. The Promotion there are superb. From the moment you enter the stadium, you feel part of the show.

I had already pencilled this meeting in, before knowing about Bewley and Smith being missing. I agree, its far from ideal. However, the rider I wanted to watch,Kyle Bickley was there so I was happy to travel anyway.. As it turned out, it was all over very early on as the Colts ran riot. If anything, the score would have been a little closer with the missing two, as I dont think Smith would have ridden so well.For me, Kyle is a joy to watch.Such an easy smooth style that totally belies his age. Doesnt stand for any nonsense in the first turn either.

I was stood on bend one, with HalifaxTiger. We were talking with Barry Bishop and you could see the pain etched in his face as the meeting unfolded.The work that guy puts in deserves success. Sadly one or two Warriors didnt seem to want to 'bust a gut' to save some respect.

Enjoyed the trip all the same, met up with a guy from Belle Vue who had not been before. He seemed to like his vist. Wonder why?!

If you get the chance, do try to get there.A Promoter who deserves your support. Cant say that about many current custodians, thats for sure.

Edited by BobC
  • Like 5

I was there last night, and the guests Definetely strengthened belle vue. With Eastbourne, mildenhall and Cradley to come, it's going to be hard for the warriors to get another home win this season.

Could have seen Dan bang in a maximum against that Warriors side and Jack wouldnt have been too far behind so not strengthened a great deal if at all. As for having no facility for them well not having two good guests would no doubt have reduced the quality of the meeting for the Warriors fans but they would have got something from the meeting so its what you prefer. Shuttleworth and Payne have both missed quite a chunk of matches for us, Rob came back with a bang but having an ever present side i think the Colts would be untouchable anyway. Having said that you have to feel for the islanders promotion as they do a great job. I would like to see the Warriors succeed, always had a bit of a soft spot for them.

Ayres was unstoppable last night, from the gate and from the back. He did strengthen the colts a bit!

I shouldn't be though, that's as result of their decision too ride three leagues and as a result means they have no excuse to not be riding as they dont have other work commitments

Quite :approve:

If they dont ride yet are fit and able they shouldnt be allowed guests, simples

The rule that basically anything is sufficient to allow for a facility is there for a reason, and its a sound one. There has to be a recognition that the NL is strictly part time, with most of the riders having other priorities such as family, work or education.

The problem is Belle Vue - in Smith's case, because Bewley is travelling to Latvia and I would accept that - are abusing that rule as he has no other commitment, he just wants a rest. That's not good enough.

Was not the Brum v BV away meeting only rescheduled last week, so why do the IOW have to suffer this week

In terms of the advertising of the event, I was helping the IOW promotion with a stand at a show on the Island. I was wearing my Belle Vue shirt, and told a number of people that the youngest and most exciting side in British Speedway would be there. IOW were told on Sunday morning that they wouldn't be. Aside from the fact that Smith most certainly should have been that's too late.

The only thing is it didn't affect the attendance too much as far as I could see, because it was another good one :approve:

The island have the best promotion in speedway, sadly the worst side too

By far and away the best. There are few who can teach them anything (and if others could they would unashamedly copy it) and many who could learn from them.

Its actually pretty simple, basic and obvious stuff - treating the chap who pays his money at the turnstiles as someone you want to come back. Taking on board any criticism and giving him a reasonable response. We have all been there with the stupid, ignorant and crass promotions whose response to criticism is abuse, then a few weeks later complaining how poor their gates are without accepting any blame for that whatsoever.

As to the team, they can quite reasonably point figures at the incompetent and cowardly management committee. They haven't been allowed a bloody thing (compare that to Hurry's ridiculous points reduction or Roynon's illegal average) and its easy to believe that that is at least in part down to jealousy given the (absolutely justified) credit and praise they have attracted from fans far and wide.

I quite agree. The Promotion there are superb. From the moment you enter the stadium, you feel part of the show.

I had already pencilled this meeting in, before knowing about Bewley and Smith being missing. I agree, its far from ideal. However, the rider I wanted to watch,Kyle Bickley was there so I was happy to travel anyway.. As it turned out, it was all over very early on as the Colts ran riot. If anything, the score would have been a little closer with the missing two, as I dont think Smith would have ridden so well.For me, Kyle is a joy to watch.Such an easy smooth style that totally belies his age. Doesnt stand for any nonsense in the first turn either.

I was stood on bend one, with HalifaxTiger. We were talking with Barry Bishop and you could see the pain etched in his face as the meeting unfolded.The work that guy puts in deserves success. Sadly one or two Warriors didnt seem to want to 'bust a gut' to save some respect.

Enjoyed the trip all the same, met up with a guy from Belle Vue who had not been before. He seemed to like his vist. Wonder why?!

If you get the chance, do try to get there.A Promoter who deserves your support. Cant say that about many current custodians, thats for sure.

You forgot about the curry, Robert :o

I can't echo Bob's suggestion that you give them a try hard enough, just to see how a speedway team should be promoted. As I said on updates, don't eat before hand :D

I was there last night, and the guests Definetely strengthened belle vue. With Eastbourne, mildenhall and Cradley to come, it's going to be hard for the warriors to get another home win this season.

Definitely stronger. Both Williamson and Ayres are acknowledged track experts and Ayres was eligible for an RR ride.

It is going to be a tough end of season for them but I suspect they will bounce back as hard as ever.

Edited by Halifaxtiger

Could have seen Dan bang in a maximum against that Warriors side and Jack wouldnt have been too far behind so not strengthened a great deal if at all. As for having no facility for them well not having two good guests would no doubt have reduced the quality of the meeting for the Warriors fans but they would have got something from the meeting so its what you prefer. Shuttleworth and Payne have both missed quite a chunk of matches for us, Rob came back with a bang but having an ever present side i think the Colts would be untouchable anyway. Having said that you have to feel for the islanders promotion as they do a great job. I would like to see the Warriors succeed, always had a bit of a soft spot for them.

Payne has turn into the new Robbie Gardiner.