British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest compost

Information Needed - 1948 Silver And Bronze Helmets

Guest compost

Hi

I can’t find the Locations and dates for following 1948 season Bronze & Silver Helmet races – this information is not given on the Match race website nor can I find it in any of the files on the Speedway Researcher website.

Can anyone help please ?

Silver Helmet:

Fred Tuck vs Dick Geary (2-0, probably Bristol as I have details of Geary’s home leg at Fleetwood)

Both legs Wilf Jay vs Fred Tuck (locations need confirming as Newcastle & Bristol as well as dates)

Both legs Wilf Jay vs Frank Hodgson (again locations probably Newcastle & Middlesbrough – which was the venue Jay couldn’t race at due to injury ?)

Frank Hodgson vs Stan Dell (2-0, probably Middlesbrough as I have details of Dell’s home leg at Birmingham)

Deceider between Frank Hodgson & Stand Dell (location and date).

Bronze Helmet:

Bob Oakley vs Cyril Roger (have the Exeter leg details so need the return leg)

Alf Bottoms vs Cyril Roger (have the Exeter leg details so need the return leg)

Gill Blake vs Joe Bowkis (details of both legs needed, though the home legs should have been at Stoke (Hanley) and Poole respectively).

Gil Blake vs Mick Mitchell (details of Blake’s home leg needed as I have them for Mitchell’s Hull home leg)

Note : I do NOT need the scores as the Match Race website provides those just dates and venues.

Thanks

The information I have is shown below:

Silver Helmet:

Fred Tuck vs Dick Geary (2-0, probably Bristol as I have details of Geary’s home leg at Fleetwood) Bristol April 30th

Both legs Wilf Jay vs Fred Tuck (locations need confirming as Newcastle & Bristol as well as dates) Bristol 4th June, Newcastle 7th June

Both legs Wilf Jay vs Frank Hodgson (again locations probably Newcastle & Middlesbrough – which was the venue Jay couldn’t race at due to injury ?) Newcastle 12th July. Jay then broke his leg later in the meeting and could not contest the second leg which should have been staged on 22nd July, with the title declared vacant by the Control Board.

Frank Hodgson vs Stan Dell (2-0, probably Middlesbrough as I have details of Dell’s home leg at Birmingham) Middlesbrough 22nd July

Decider between Frank Hodgson & Stand Dell (location and date). Fleetwood 10th August

Bronze Helmet:

Bob Oakley vs Cyril Roger (have the Exeter leg details so need the return leg) Southampton 27th April

Alf Bottoms vs Cyril Roger (have the Exeter leg details so need the return leg) Southampton 8th June

Gill Blake vs Joe Bowkis (details of both legs needed, though the home legs should have been at Stoke (Hanley) and Poole respectively). The Control Board gave Wally Green until 7th September to confirm his fitness to meet Bowkis in the 'August' match race, but he was not able to take part. Hanley 23rd September. Bowkis broke his collar bone in the first race of the first leg and was unable to compete in the second leg due to have taken place at Poole 27th September. The Control Board ruled that the first leg became void and Mitchell was nominated to replace Bowkis.

Gil Blake vs Mick Mitchell (details of Blake’s home leg needed as I have them for Mitchell’s Hull home leg) Hanley 30th September

• Like 1