British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Perton Wolf

Fixed Race Nights For 2018 Season

Sounds like there's something in the pipeline in relation to fixed race nights across the top league which COULD help bring back the big name riders, according to Matt Ford anyway.

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/15482857.Fixed_race_nights_would_bring_back_top_names__says_Ford/

As for predicting what night/s it could be - maybe Monday and/or Wednesday?

Top riders have previously stated they don't want to ride in Britain on a Monday, as they like to travel directly from Poland to Sweden. It also makes sense for the nights to be consecutive to save on travel costs.

For me, Wednesday and Thursday seems to be the best fit.

• Like 1

Top riders have previously stated they don't want to ride in Britain on a Monday, as they like to travel directly from Poland to Sweden. It also makes sense for the nights to be consecutive to save on travel costs.

For me, Wednesday and Thursday seems to be the best fit.

But then Wolves will struggle to race in the top league and you'll be asking Sheffield, Ipswich and Redcar to move up or change their race night, otherwise you won't solve the Thursday doubling up issue.

Couple that with the fact that many of the top riders wont ride here anyway as they don't want the expense and hassle of the extra machinery, van and mechanics that would need to be based here.

It has no chance of succeeding on any level.

Edited by CB252
  • Like 1

If the top tier did go to Monday & Wednesday, or Wednesday & Thursday, presumably the second tier would avoid racing on those two nights. As well as fixed nights possibly tempting some big name riders back, it should help too in avoiding fixture clashes for the double uppers (though probably should be called double downers these days).

If the top tier did go to Monday & Wednesday, or Wednesday & Thursday, presumably the second tier would avoid racing on those two nights. As well as fixed nights possibly tempting some big name riders back, it should help too in avoiding fixture clashes for the double uppers (though probably should be called double downers these days).

'double downers' seems more fitting, considering all the doom and gloom associated with it.

But then Wolves will struggle to race in the top league and you'll be asking Sheffield, Ipswich and Redcar to move up or change their race night, otherwise you won't solve the Thursday doubling up issue.

Do Wolves have dogs on a Monday as well as speedway?

I thought fixed race nights were being talked about to avoid clashes with Championship clubs to stop so many doubleing up/down clashes.Monday seems to be a day that is not used much by Championship teams.Plus there are not many continental meetings held on a Monday for there to be many clashes.

But can all teams in the Premiership ride on regular Mondays ?.

Do Wolves have dogs on a Monday as well as speedway?

Yes, in the afternoon before the Speedway, which would be the same on a Wednesday. However, dogs don't run on a Tuesday at Monmore but they do on a Thursday, so Ladbrokes probably wouldn't be open to a switch to Wednesday's.

Could Swindon change to a Monday easier than Wolves could a Wednesday if they have anywhere to ride next year?

Would long established Thursday tracks in the second tier want to, or be able to, switch racenights?

The people who think this a good idea are always the people who's club would be least affected by it.

• Like 2

Yes, in the afternoon before the Speedway, which would be the same on a Wednesday. However, dogs don't run on a Tuesday at Monmore but they do on a Thursday, so Ladbrokes probably wouldn't be open to a switch to Wednesday's.

Could Swindon change to a Monday easier than Wolves could a Wednesday if they have anywhere to ride next year?

Would long established Thursday tracks in the second tier want to, or be able to, switch racenights?

The people who think this a good idea are always the people who's club would be least affected by it.

Swindon might switch to mondays but there is dog racing during the day so if there was dodgy weather on the monday it might mean more cancelled meetings because of lack of time to sort the track out after the dog racing.

The only totally free days and nights are tues or thurs.

Swindon might switch to mondays but there is dog racing during the day so if there was dodgy weather on the monday it might mean more cancelled meetings because of lack of time to sort the track out after the dog racing.

The only totally free days and nights are tues or thurs.

So we're already getting down to some of the issues faced just by having a discussion on here. You can imagine how easy it will be for the promoters to discuss this. I mean, they're well known for being sympathetic to each others business plan for the greater good of the sport aren't they!!??

I guarantee you that the team line ups a week before the season started would have you questioning if it was all worth it.

I've sat and listened to top riders that have categorically stated that fixed race nights will not get them back here.

• Like 1

So we're already getting down to some of the issues faced just by having a discussion on here. You can imagine how easy it will be for the promoters to discuss this. I mean, they're well known for being sympathetic to each others business plan for the greater good of the sport aren't they!!??

I guarantee you that the team line ups a week before the season started would have you questioning if it was all worth it.

I've sat and listened to top riders that have categorically stated that fixed race nights will not get them back here.

A couple might race here but it is not worth screwing the whole set up just for them. The big issue initially is the allowing d/u without having to bring in guests because the championship club is riding on the same night. The same would happen the other way round with the number of Premier riders that race in the lower league. Now some may not like d/u but it is the best and easiest way for riders to progress through the leagues while getting enough meetings to make a living.

• Like 1

A couple might race here but it is not worth screwing the whole set up just for them. The big issue initially is the allowing d/u without having to bring in guests because the championship club is riding on the same night. The same would happen the other way round with the number of Premier riders that race in the lower league. Now some may not like d/u but it is the best and easiest way for riders to progress through the leagues while getting enough meetings to make a living.

I'm sure they will try it next year despite the obvious problems, but I fear that any club in either tier that is forced to move from a long established race night would end up in bother pretty quickly.

Redcar could move from thurs to fri but it would cost them in attendances - why should they suffer to prop up a failing division?

Redcar crowds are up 20 pc

• Like 1

Redcar could move from thurs to fri but it would cost them in attendances - why should they suffer to prop up a failing division?

Redcar crowds are up 20 pc

They could continue on a thurs but would have to accept that any visiting team might have a few guests, plus it would be the case that they would have no d/u riders themselves.