British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Your Memories Of Kiwis In The Uk (1970-90)

In the next issue (82) of Backtrack, Martin Rogers will be looking back at the New Zealand riders who competed in the British League and National League (BL 2) in the 70s & 80s...

Alongside the main piece will be a section of supporters' comments about the Kiwis who raced in the UK during that era, so please either post your personal recollections, anecdotes, memories or opinions here or email us at: editorial@retro-speedway.com

The Big Three of Ronnie Moore, Barry Briggs and Ivan Mauger dominated the headlines and virtually won all the top honours. There is little left to say about their greatness that hasn't already been well documented.

But we are particularly keen to read your thoughts on their fellow countrymen . . . the likes of Mitch Shirra, Larry Ross, Bruce Cribb, David Bargh, Frank Shuter, Bill Andrew, Bob Andrews, Graeme Stapleton, Dave Gifford, Gary Peterson, Colin Tucker, Graeme Smith, Jack Millen, Mike Fullerton, Roger Wright, Colin Farquharson, John Goodall, etc, etc.

We look forward to hearing from you ASAP - respond and you might well get your name in Backtrack!

Thanks,

Tony Mac

Edited by tmc

In the next issue (82) of Backtrack, Martin Rogers will be looking back at the New Zealand riders who competed in the British League and National League (BL 2) in the 70s & 80s...

Alongside the main piece will be a section of supporters' comments about the Kiwis who raced in the UK during that era, so please either post your personal recollections, anecdotes, memories or opinions here or email us at: editorial@retro-speedway.com

The Big Three of Ronnie Moore, Barry Briggs and Ivan Mauger dominated the headlines and virtually won all the top honours. There is little left to say about their greatness that hasn't already been well documented.

But we are particularly keen to read your thoughts on their fellow countrymen . . . the likes of Mitch Shirra, Larry Ross, Bruce Cribb, Frank Shuter, Bill Andrew, Graeme Stapleton, Dave Gifford, Gary Peterson, Colin Tucker, Graeme Smith, Jack Millen, Mike Fullerton, Roger Wright, Colin Farquharson, John Goodall, etc, etc.

We look forward to hearing from you ASAP - respond and you might well get your name in Backtrack!

Thanks,

Tony Mac

You'll be hearing from me. :o;):) :)

• Like 2

You'll be hearing from me. :o;):) :)

I never doubted it! 'Millen the Villain' - what a character.

• Like 1

Fredrick 'Rick' Timmo who rode for Oxford during the sixties and early seventies. Survived a near fatal crash when he actually stopped breathing on the track when, if I recall, his throat was caught by a rider's passing foot rest whilst laying on the track.

Married the daughter of Oxford track marshall Tom Prickett (one time start marshall) and their son, Spencer, rode for a number of years at various tracks and who now runs a second hand car franchise just outside Oxford.

Riders like Rick were the mainstay of the sport...good honest reliable team men.

• Like 1

Do not forget David Bargh ​who, apart from a couple of seasons, rode in the UK from 1978 until his retirement in 1992. A very entertaining and consistent rider.

• Like 1

Do not forget David Bargh ​who, apart from a couple of seasons, rode in the UK from 1978 until his retirement in 1992. A very entertaining and consistent rider.

Good call, thanks - it was a poor oversight that has now been corrected. Have also added Bob Andrews.

• Like 1

Good call, thanks - it was a poor oversight that has now been corrected. Have also added Bob Andrews.

Wayne Brown and Mark Thorpe both had their moments too.

• Like 1

Wayne Brown and Mark Thorpe both had their moments too.

Talking about the 70s and 80s. Mark Thorpe's first season was 1989 so surely does not count. Agree with Wayne Brown though. Edited by JoeW

Remember Mitch Shirra riding for Coatbridge in 1975 I think it was , there was a bit of dubiety about his age as it was claimed he was only 15 at the time .

• Like 1

Remember James Timy Te Kerrehi Herini Moore who rode for 'The Cheetahs' in 1978 (I recall he was a Cradley asset?) and showed potential but disappeared off the radar?

One time Ole Olsen mechanic Cliff Andersen who rode for Oxford and Milton Keynes.

Patrick Pawson one time junior at Wimbledon.

Paul Fewings (sure he was a Kiwi?) who rode in Oxford second halves.

Jim Wells - buddy of 'The Villain' who rode for Sunderland, Stoke and Oxford. Sure there must be some stories there somewhere?

And of course Ivan's son, Kym, who apparently had a behind the scenes trial at Cowley but ended up at Newcastle.

Kym and Robin Amundson (Hull and Workington?)

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

Remember James Timy Te Kerrehi Herini Moore who rode for 'The Cheetahs' in 1978 (I recall he was a Cradley asset?) and showed potential but disappeared off the radar?

One time Ole Olsen mechanic Cliff Andersen who rode for Oxford and Milton Keynes.

Patrick Pawson one time junior at Wimbledon.

Paul Fewings (sure he was a Kiwi?) who rode in Oxford second halves.

Jim Wells - buddy of 'The Villain' who rode for Sunderland, Stoke and Oxford. Sure there must be some stories there somewhere?

And of course Ivan's son, Kym, who apparently had a behind the scenes trial at Cowley but ended up at Newcastle.

Kym and Robin Amundson (Hull and Workington?)

Kym and Robin were Australian.
  • Like 2

My old mate Bob Andrews. The kiwi from Edmonton area of north London. He's still around despite a heart attack earlier in the year and the loss of his wife. Bob, like so many these days, is a keen follower of FACEBOOK speedway history forums.

Guest compost

Did Tony Briggs ride as a Kiwi (I forget) ?

If so then in the context of this thread I thought he was a great signing for the Racers and had a good first season. Shame about the injuries curtailing his career.

As a Heathen I guess my favourite Kiwi has to be Bruce Cribb, who rode for us for 6 seasons through most of the 70's and continued in the National League in the 80's - not forgetting his Ice Racing exploits. Won the title with Poole in 1969 along with fellow Frank Shuter, who deserves special mention for his feat of winning 3 titles with 3 separate clubs (albeit 2 in the pre-Backtrack era).

Wayne Brown was another rider who having made the jump up to the British League with Sheffield in 1982 had achieved a very respectable average.Never returned to the UK to ride as he stayed at home to set up his own business I believe, so we'll never know what he could have achieved before his untimely passing in the early 90's.

One rider who I believe was a Kiwi not mentioned so far - Mark Lyndon who rode for Wimbledon and Rye House in the late 80's.

• Like 2