British Speedway Forum
Bald Bloke

Kings Lynn 2018..

25 minutes ago, Aces51 said:

Clubs have been losing money and seem at be last to be realising that they have to live within their means if they are going to survive. They are reducing their costs but to suggest they could reduce admission to £10 shows how unrealistic some fans are. To survive and hopefully, make a profit, admission charges will have to stay as they are. Particularly, with the loss of the TV revenue.

The rider costs of a PL team is still going to be considerably more than that of a CL team. Many riders may operate in both leagues but a PL team has more of the better, more expensive riders because they are building to a significantly higher team building figure.

Manchester isn't one of the more affluent areas of the country and yet more fans pay £20 to sit in the Grandstand than £17 to stand on the south side. If admission costs and value for money we such an issue I would expect the reverse to be true.

Nothing seems to have worked to attract old and new fans to speedway a £10 admission could do just that surely it’s better to have more fans in the stadiums up and down the country maybe £10 is a but low but all I’m saying is why not try reducing admission my guess with increased numbers clubs would better off - look at KL last season cut cost dumping Holder and Batch replaced them with riders on lesser wage crowd fell away had they adjusted the admission price accordingly that may not have happened but they charged the same . I’m not saying cut the admission at the cost of clubs closing but let’s think outside the box a bit more that all I’m saying 

• Like 1

No professional sport is a £10 sport and even sports at semi pro level is a bit more than that. I think that £15 would be fair price but promoters do need to look at improving pre meeting and in between heats entertainment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Col said:

The 8+ Oyster, who do you want Lynn fabns? Lindgren, PUK or Doyle....

Puk is getting on a bit now,about 36?.I think he would average less than the other two,but being loyal I would welcome him back.I wouldn't be upset if it was Doyle or Freddie :lol:

1 hour ago, Haza said:

Championship clubs charge too much as well - the cut backs in team strength in the Premiership should mean a cut in admission prices but I bet it doesn’t- it’s a £10 sport at best and just maybe if it was £10 it might encourage new fans and old fans to return just maybe 

I don't think the sport will ever be a £10 sport.If it was you would have people moaning about the quality of the riders.The Prem would have to be made up of Championship and NL riders to make it pay.

Edited by Bald Bloke

14 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

Puk is getting on a bit now,about 36?.I think he would average less than the other two,but being loyal I would welcome him back.I wouldn't be upset if it was Doyle or Freddie :lol:

I don't think the sport will ever be a £10 sport.If it was you would have people moaning about the quality of the riders.The Prem would have to be made up of Championship and NL riders to make it pay.

It already is!

Doyle - if there was choice and it was possible financially! And of course with Robert Lambert as the second heat leader. Oh Yes, count me in for sure then.

I’ve heard that riders are being offered 10% less than last season. Clubs need to balance books as 83% made a loss last year in PL and CL. I know we would all love to see Niels back. Even Doyle, which would be be a big coup for Lynn to have the current world champion. I don’t know anymore than you guys, but realistically I can’t see either happening. No TV, so top riders not attracting sponsors here, are costs to do UK disproportionate to potential earnings here, logistics of flying in/out. I just don’t see any up side as to why they would want/need to ride the UK. Top riders earn big bucks in Poland, so why do it. Yes more meetings, but other than that what’s the attraction for them. Crash in UK, injured and can’t ride Poland. Huge loss of income and probably having to pay back proportion of sign on fee. 

Personally I feel the days of the SGP riders and other top continental riders riding UK are over. I hope I’m wrong. To get them back the BSPA, SCB, Promoters etc. need to make big changes/improvements to fans, riders and sponsors and bring the sport into the 21st century. Unfortunately I don’t have any confidence that this will happen. 

Edited by DWP

36 minutes ago, DWP said:

Crash in UK, injured and can’t ride Poland. Huge loss of income and probably having to pay back proportion of sign on fee. 

Is that the norm? I'm obviously very naive but for clubs to expect riders to pay back part of a sign on fee when injured is morally wrong. 

5 minutes ago, DWP said:

Been told how many made losses so did calculation 

That works out that 1 team out of 50 made a profit, & we never had 50 teams last year, so I am confused ?

• Like 1

Ok it was a quick calculation. Heard only 3 didn’t loose money 

4 hours ago, Pirates Of Poole said:

Would be very stupid to turn down a 1 year deal down, even if the money is poor. Except offer then immediately start making plans for 2019 and other options, an internal channel from BSPA or speak to other broadcasters. Get the rules sorted early and get out there and sell the product, don't get to next November and do nothing and be in the same boat which is the norm with people running UK speedway. Things don't just fall into your lap you have to go and work for it!

Get all clubs to put on a real show come to agreement for both sides where stadiums are packed, make the product look good and then use that to sell to other broadcasters. Use BT and then somehow get a bidding war if you can get a second company interested in the product. 

To make a decision without knowing the conditions of a deal is foolhardy.     Obviously the sport needs TV,  but if they are asking for certain conditions that cant be met then the BSPA has to say NO.

Question:  If both the Premiership and the Championship are of similar strength, why are the costs so different ? ,  If the costs are so different and with the top riders being  programed/ Priced out of our league , why didn't the BSPA decide on one league only, and start building a new beginning?    

5 minutes ago, Star Lady said:

Is that the norm? I'm obviously very naive but for clubs to expect riders to pay back part of a sign on fee when injured is morally wrong. 

Yep - Poles will fine you for wearing the wrong shirt. They can be ruthless. 

16 minutes ago, semion said:

How do you get to a percentage of 98%?

15 minutes ago, DWP said:

Been told how many made losses so did calculation 

4 minutes ago, DWP said:

Ok it was a quick calculation. Heard only 3 didn’t loose money 

3 would be 83% made a loss and not 98%